StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF, happened to the price of sleeping bags? We're just looking for 2 "square" compact sleeping bags for next years run across the country. I get it that quality costs but for the prices I'm seeing they would need to come with a hotel room. Anyone have any info on reasonably priced 3 season sleeping gear? I'd appreciate hearing from you.THNX

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My kid got me a Coleman o mummy bag.She told me to take it back if I wanted the regular shape bag. Its so warm even in the 29 degree camp out on motorcycles at Hungry Mother camp ground last month.Have camped in it below 25 and still great.If doing over sure would have taken it back. I toss and turn so much wake too often with it tight around me. My other two bags are cheap and work good above 40.Carry a light fuzzy blanket that warms it more if needed or just use if over me if warm.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
If you want good quality sleeping bags that will actually keep you warm you can't go wrong with "Wiggy" Bags.

Wiggy is a bit of an ass but his sleeping bags are extremely good. Not cheap but something that can very well last you a lifetime and they are made in North America as well.

..Tom

·
Registered
667 Posts
Warm cheap compact. You can pick any 2, but not 3. Warm and compact 3 season bag (fits easily in a panier) means down. MEC has a few bags under $250. At that price they won't be covered in Gore Tex but that shouldn't be an issue for 3 season camping with a good tent. With a compression bag they shrink to nothing and will last a lifetime.

A decent synthetic bag will cost about $70 less, weight about the same but will require about double the space.

Down can't get wet... It'll take forever to dry and won't insulate when damp, but it compresses very well and is light weight. Synthetic takes a lot more volume when stowed but will still insulate when damp and dries faster.

Some shops may still have cyber Monday pricing. Check out Atmosphere.ca and www.altitude-sports.com

How much is a good night sleep worth to you? Dont forget a decent inflatable mattress.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
There are also bag liners. I have a silk one that makes it a cocoon inside a cocoon of a sleeping bag.
But I wake a beautiful butterfly every morning.
Mine main bag is a 20 degree Kelty mummy bag, It packs up small and light so it's good for moto camping.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I'm using a Kelty, model discovery 15F. Wide temperature spread in the desert 70F daytime can be 20F night in winter. and of course the large temp. difference in elevation. I bought it from REI.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a fan of my Hotcore sleeping bag. Got it from LeBaron just as they closed down. The bag is very light, quite warm and only cost around $70
Just checked Cabela's and the Hotcore R200 is on sale online for 54 bucks. Taxed and shipped 79$. Rated for minus ten which is no doubt a crock but still seems like a solid bag for a way low price. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Just checked Cabela's and the Hotcore R200 is on sale online for 54 bucks. Taxed and shipped 79$. Rated for minus ten which is no doubt a crock but still seems like a solid bag for a way low price. Thanks for the tip.
I hope it works out well for you.
I have the R200 which I think is also rated down to -10. I have used it down to -5 and was just fine. I do find that my tent is really good for cooler weather camping (Eureka El Capitan 3 tent), so this also makes a difference. I bought two of the Hotcore bags so I can zip them together for when my wife and I are camping together. I also like that these sleeping bags are super light for moto camping and pack down reasonably small. For the price, they just can't be beat. And last of all, they are 100% Canadian, which is an added bonus.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Look for bags with an EN rating, they are pretty accurate. If it's not an EN rating and just a comfort zone they are usually way off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use a Sierra Designs Wild Bill I got about 5 years ago. Its done 3 segment hikes on the AT, a cross country motorbike trip and a about 50 overnighters and its still going. I have been very happy with it EXCEPT the zipper sticks.

No harm in looking ta older closeout models online: https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Designs-35-Degree-Synthetic-Sleeping/dp/B004KQFI02

Temp Rating : 30º F / -1ºC (EN Tested)
Weight 3lb 2 oz

Or if there is an REI near you (or near a friend) I have gotten some killer deals at their Garage sale events

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Are those Selkbags supposed to be the sleeping bag, fur Real? Seems a bit weird. How's the zipper pull with hands in mitten like endings?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
There are also bag liners. I have a silk one that makes it a cocoon inside a cocoon of a sleeping bag.
But I wake a beautiful butterfly every morning.
Mine main bag is a 20 degree Kelty mummy bag, It packs up small and light so it's good for moto camping.
Thanks for not posting a pic. I was thinking more a ugly worm! :surprise:

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
" I was thinking more a ugly worm!"

Hey, we all have our visions of ourselves. Let's not let reality spoil it!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
With my so so back,knee's,and just old body need something between my knees when I sleep. The mummy bag makes this a little more trouble and being old one pee break a night is all most a given and making every thing fit right back in the tight bag and zip back up is a hassle. My fault for going ahead and trying it.Should have took back for the regular big one as soon as I got it.:frown2: The so warm feeling on low 20s nights in the tent make it worth it.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
Are those Selkbags supposed to be the sleeping bag, fur Real? Seems a bit weird. How's the zipper pull with hands in mitten like endings?
Yes. The mitten is only half stitched on and you velcro them closed after zipping yourself up. I've always pondered about them.
People have been attacked by crocodiles up north while sleeping on the beaches - in a sleeping bag. One camper heard screams for help and jumped on a croc that was dragging another camper back into the sea. He survived thanks to her. You will never force a croc's mouth open. She beat and scractched it's eyes.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts