Strom Trooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride 1- I-90 to Coeur d-Alene river exit. South to St. Maries and turn east on the St. Joe river road. It's 87miles to the top and the Montana border. From the top down to St. Regis, MT is 16 miles of nice gravel and the paved the remainder. This is one of the finest motorcycle roads around. With the heavy snowfall this year it was blocked 2 miles from the top. So we had to turn around and re-ride this blissful stretch of pavement. 340 mile total.
The roadblock.

Ride2- Met for breakfast and then headed east on I-90 to the exit for Thompson Pass which follows the upper portion of the CDL river to Thompson Falls, MT. Then west on 200 to the Libby-Vale turn off. Gassed in Vale and went west again until the turn to Yaak. Went as far as Yaak Falls to see it in a high flow time. Then returned via Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint and many secondary roads to Colbert and home. 400 miles.
The Yaak Falls

Day 3- A solo trip on the new(to me) DRZ. From CDL up to the Fernan Saddle(4200 ft.) is paved and after that its all forest roads. At first all the side roads and trails ended in snow blockage, so I headed down a few 100 feet in elevation and then all was well. Secondary FS roads, ATV trails and single track for 50 to 60 miles. Only 1 fall on a muddy single track and only my pride was hurt. On the last leg before dropping down I found this view of Lake CDL. 100+ total miles

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Nice photos and writeup, Nvr2old. Sounds like you have some good roads on the other side of the hill from me. We got out three times in the last few days on local rides, getting my wife and I tuned up for a trip this summer to somewhere, destination perhaps never known until we get there. Last evening I went with my son on his TL 1000 for about a 30 miler. He like to ride in a sporty fashon, so we were in triple didgets a lot of the time, hoping no deer got in the way on these back roads. I hadn't wrung my warmed up Vee out for months, and enjoyed it thoroughly. It will be fun to play with him at a local track day on a road course. We did the course using my Vee and his Wee one day and it was a blast. He will have a much better chance of staying ahead on the TL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts