Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife and I did a moto-camping trip 7/27-31.
Day 1, half day:
From the house to Monarch Pass
130 miles, threatening skies all the way, rained pretty good on us the last 15 miles, setting up the tent in the rain was a
challenge.
Day 2
Monarch Pass to Durango
219 miles, nice and sunny in the am, hot in Montrose, we headed for Ouray and the million dollar highway, rain started in Ouray just as you got started on the million dollar highway, twisty, drop-offs and switchbacks made challenging in a steady rain. Rain cleared as we got to Durango, had a room reserved there
Day 3
Durango to Crawford State Park, Crawford CO.
298 miles, Great ride on the San Juan Skyway into Telluride for lunch, after lunch the weather turned, super windy, gusty that had us leaning at about a 75%, we ducked into a state rec area and took shelter, did not ever rain much, once the wind died down, we pressed on.
Day 4
Crawford State Park to home
Got the very last spot to put our tent, campground was crowded and we ended up next to a you family with an infant that
decided to cry, a lot, in the middle of the night. Got an early start, awesome ride on hey 92, the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the rest of the trip was uneventful, other than getting caught in the normal Sunday afternoon traffic returning from the mountains, several areas of stop and go traffic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That was moto-surviving. Tough trip. I've been caught in the rain but you did it for days, off and on. Hats off to you and your wife. Did you make it to the waterfall in Telluride? Pretty nice but rough dirt road. Dumped my Vee there. Any photos?
Carolee and I, a few years ago, bought a cheap tent and compact sleeping bags and headed for our place in Arizona from the Seattle area. I think we used the tent twice. Too many nice motels around. It sounds like you two could make a trip to ALaska. Rains a lot there. Tough trip even if you motel it! Anyhow, good going for you both. Bobby

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was moto-surviving. Tough trip. I've been caught in the rain but you did it for days, off and on. Hats off to you and your wife. Did you make it to the waterfall in Telluride? Pretty nice but rough dirt road. Dumped my Vee there. Any photos?
Carolee and I, a few years ago, bought a cheap tent and compact sleeping bags and headed for our place in Arizona from the Seattle area. I think we used the tent twice. Too many nice motels around. It sounds like you two could make a trip to ALaska. Rains a lot there. Tough trip even if you motel it! Anyhow, good going for you both. Bobby
Just out of frame of the picture of Bridal Veil falls, was an endless stream of 4WD vehicles coming down, we did not go any further.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Just out of frame of the picture of Bridal Veil falls, was an endless stream of 4WD vehicles coming down, we did not go any further.
Those were obstacles when we were there on dirt bikes a few years ago. They, like us, tend to go in groups. They would stop to let us by on the outside, which was breathtaking on some of those roads, especially the one you were looking at, up above the falls. Straight down off the edge. The falls has a good parking area, though.

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
We did some of those passes and roads last week.......FABULOUS!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts