StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone own a Shadow Air Pro Mesh Jacket or a Sliders All-Season Kevlar Mesh Jacket from Competition Accessories?

I would like to buy a reasonably priced Hi-Viz 3/4 length jacket for commuting on hot days in Georgia. I appreciate some input on the above mentioned jackets.

Recommendations of other Jackets are welcome.

·
Registered
246 Posts
No experience with those... I'm really happy with my Olympia Moab for TN heat and humidity.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
249 Posts
jackets

I can't help with those. I do have a Fieldsheer, not sure of the name of it.
It is an air mesh type with a rain liner. I also have a Tourmaster Sonora 3/4
jacket with a rain liner and a insulated layer. I like both jackets very much.
I found them at different dealers at different times but both were on the
closeout rack and I got a good deal on them. In trying on jackets I can tell
you that sizes run very differently. Make sure you can return if ordering online.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have a Tourmaster Intake Air 2. It's a nice mesh jacket with armor, a waterproof removable liner, and a removeable insulated liner for those cool mornings. I like it, and use it in the summer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'd be interested in what ever you find out because I too would like to find a Kevlar jacket and pants. I love the Motoport products but I just can't afford the price and I don't need any comments about how much my skin is worth.

Someone on the ADV riders web site posted a question like this one a few months ago. No real results there, but I still pick the Motoport jacket as my first choice. I was able to meet someone that was wearing a Motoport jacket and it looked and felt very nice. :beatnik:

update: Here's a link to comments posted by two different people that bought the Sliders jacket.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I have a First gear 3/4 Jacket. Mes is great in the summer. I only use the liner to block the wind on chilly mornings or evenings. I also like the 3/4 length because they have extra pockets. :thumbup:

I want an Olympia Moab to go with the air pants but the First Gear works great.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
I have 2 a BMW Savanna II and a Hein Gerike. I got the Gerike on close out at a rally for $30 bucks.
They 3/4 is a good style but the mesh is a limiter in use to only warm weather. The waterproof liners help. If you always stay close to home that style of jacket might be practical. I question the mesh construction in the event of a get off. Air holes don't protect nothin'.
I'll probably get the Aerostitch Roadcrafter Light to replace the 3/4 Darien I destroyed in a crash last summer.
I can put up with the heat of summer with the cool vest type of wear for air conditioning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mesh jackets

I live in Dacula GA and have two sets of riding clothes. Mesh and Winter textiles. I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix and Ballistic. No experience with 3/4 mesh but understand the desire to have, just not for me.

The mesh stuff is great as I run into the bathroom at work, strip down to my boxers and undershirt and don the Phoenix jacket and pants. Makes for a cooler ride home and a brief Georgia thunder shower is just air conditioning for the ride.

I am not a believer of being able to just have one jacket. It can't do the best job of keeping you cool and warm. There is a compromise on one aspect or the other.

·
Registered
146 Posts
TourMaster Sonora Air here. Love it. When it's hot - like, GA hot - nothing moves more air. I'm sure you make some compromises in terms of overall skid protection with it, but it's better than the cotton HD T-Shirts I see all over when it gets hot.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I picked up a tourmaster transition 2 at the bike show this past Saturday, great price, It looks great and fits perfect. I can't review it just yet but I'm sure it's cooler than my leather jacket

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
On hot days I reach for the Vanson Vent Max.

I have a First Gear Mesh Tex and it's hot by comparison.

·
Registered
714 Posts
First Gear

First Gear Tex Mesh. Not the greatest airflow, but I've worn it up to 100 degrees and it's better than getting sunburn or windburn. When it's really hot, I like to splash it with water throughout the day. But what I really like is the flexibility provided with the full sleeve zip out rain liner. Combined with my heated jacket I have ridden down to 40 degrees and stayed comfortable. I have several jackets, but unless it's really cold, I find I wear the Tex Mesh 75% of the time because it's so versatile. The rain liner and electrics don't take up much room in the panniers so for spring or fall riding where the temps may fluctuate 30 degrees throughout the day, its still all you need. I wore it most of the time during my '09 Alaska trip. You pay a little more for First Gear, but it's hard to beat the quality.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know you're looking for 3/4, but Vanson Leathers makes a jacket called The Ventilator that is freaking awesome mesh with armor. I used it year round in Florida and plan to buy another one this year. They use a heavy duty mesh that's better than most I've seen. Good stuff.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 that I have used for a couple years, its pretty much my go to jacket all the time. Its actually pretty comfortable down to 50 degrees with the liner and an extra layer. Its a godsend at 100+ and it keeps the sunburn away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks

I appreciate all of the comments. I'm going to check out the various jackets mentioned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wear the Olympia Bushwacker (predecessor to the Moab) 3/4 length jacket (in high vis-yellow) & AirGlide pants. I survived the hottest summer on record in this part of Texas commuting daily 15 miles on the slab each way this past year. While the armor in the jacket got a bit warm during the evening ride home (108℉-110℉ typ,), I didn't hesitate to wear this gear on every ride. Now that winter is here, I wear the jacket & pants with the water & wind-resistant liner, and additional layers as needed when the temps hit close to freezing, on the same commute. While I wouldn't call the liner waterproof, it has proven adequate for this distance in a very heavy downpour. This jacket & pants combo works for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up buying the Shadow Air Pro Mesh Jacket from Competition Accessories. It's Hi-Vis orange so I feel a bit conspicuous but that's the whole idea. I usually buy a size 42 suit but needed a size XL. If I gain 10 pounds it will be too tight. No one will ever mistake me for a body builder but the arms are tight. All that to say this jacket runs seriously small. I have ridden in it twice thanks to this year's mild winter and it seems to be a good jacket. For about $100 I can't complain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
TourMaster Sonora Air here. Love it. When it's hot - like, GA hot - nothing moves more air. I'm sure you make some compromises in terms of overall skid protection with it, but it's better than the cotton HD T-Shirts I see all over when it gets hot.
Same jacket here. Flows air very well. Only problem is I bought it in size large tall, should have got the regular. The sleeves and tail of the jacket are very long in the tall size. I'm 6'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts