StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I have to store my Wee for 2 years!!! :furious:

It's a financial / personal deal. I am a broke student, but take online classes, so don't need to drive too much. I also have an almost 4 month old son, the best little dude in the world! He's also the reason I haven't been on the forum AT ALL the last few months, hehe...

Anyways, back to topic:
I searched/read around here for storage related stuff, and I came up with this list of shtuff to do:

- fill gas tank, leave room for expansion/contraction
- Stabil (gas treatment, not sure of spelling) and run engine a minute to circulate.
- wrap tires (being stored in garage in Phoenix, Arizona)
- lift (don't have center stand, but will use my home-made stand thingy)
- Remove battery (I'll just buy a new one in two years)
- change oil
- treat seat / plastic cosmetics and whatnot with something (i've got some polish)
- clean / lube chain generously

I know I need to do something with the spark plugs/cylinders, but not sure exactly what to do, as I read different things about fogging?? and/or coating with oil?? But I don't understand what that means... Help here?:confused:

Any other suggestions/improvements/additions to my list would be wonderfully appreciated, as usual! I must say though, please give me some sort of explanation for any info you provide. While I do understand a lot of this stuff, I've never stored a vehicle for more than 2-3 months, so I'm new to this aspect of moto-care.

Thanks all,
Jam

·
Registered
722 Posts
If critters are even a remote possibility, block off the tailpipe and intake. Also spread some sort of deterrent (maybe mothballs) under the seat and/or cover and stuff.

I did not do much of this when I put my last motorcycle away for 3 months, turned 2+ years and I regretted it.

·
Administrator
18,442 Posts
You may just consider selling it, sounds like you need the money? Get another when money and personal issues are better, bikes come and bikes go.

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Squirrrels got to my brothers '66 Cougar when it sat in his garage for a couple years. Oye!
Anything left alone in a quiet place is a safe harbor for lots of pests. Spiders took residence in a buddies carburetor for his generator on his Motor home.
That and stuff dries out. You're in Phoenix and it gets popcorn fart dry and hot there.
Storage is a difficult thing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Although I found it funny, I don't actually understand the term "popcorn fart" and why it would necessary be more dry than any other kind.

Please elaborate.

Sent from my droid.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
You may just consider selling it, sounds like you need the money? Get another when money and personal issues are better, bikes come and bikes go.
Yeah it's just going to sit there, take up space and lose value. I'd sell it now, save the money and use it to buy a used 2012 in a couple of years.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
maybe

I kinda think you may as well sell it, too. Adding two years age, even without miles, will depreciate the bike significantly. And what makes you think that in two years time you'll be back to riding? If you decide to keep it, you can remove the plugs (somewhat of a hassle) and use fogging oil through the plug holes to provide protective coating to the cylinders. I don't think that humidity (and corrosion) are really going to be your problem, so maybe not worth the work. And I'd take the bike for a real ride (at least 10 minutes) after adding the Sta-bil, both to assure that the stuff has gotten through the fuel system, as well as completely warming up the bike. A short run just accumulates moisture in the engine and oil, just the opposite of what you want. Some folks advocate overfilling the crankcase when putting it away, but forgetting to drain some would cause problems when you resurrect the bike. Depending on where you store it, biggest issue might be critters getting into the air filter, wiring, etc. and chewing things up.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Fresh oil, stabil in the tank and then at least a 10 minute ride. Nothing will corrode if it's stored in Phoenix. Mice could be a problem though. They like to camp in the airbox and they may chew wires.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, NO WAY WOULD I EVER SELL THIS BABY!!!!

Yeah sure, 2 years seems like a long time, but c'mon, SELL?!?!?!?
Really though, I'm moving back to the NW in early 2014 when I'm done with school here in Phoenix and will definitely be riding it again. That, and I don't care how much it wants to depreciate, I've done a ton of custom work to make this beauty purrrrfect for my personal likes. It's gonna be in the garage right next to my work bench, out of the way and safe from critters, but I'll still plug it up and cover it. I've got a large garage, so still plenty of room for working on my truck/car with it over by the bench. Two years from now, I'll be cruisin' through the mountains of Washington/Oregon just like we used to do!

I plan on keeping it for as long as it'll let me!

Yikes, sorry for the rant there, but just wanted to make sure you all understand how much I love my baby! (my mechanical baby, that is. I also love my son super-lots-o-bunches!!!)

Thanks for the tips/info, will start in on all of that this weekend! I'll keep tabs on the forum when I have time, but prolly won't be around too much for a while.

Ride safe, wear your helmets(for you crazies that choose not to), and take care everyone!

Jam

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it is in the garage next to your work bench, then just take it out for a short ride around the block on the first day of every month. Thats more than a whole bunch of posers on their hogs do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it is in the garage next to your work bench, then just take it out for a short ride around the block on the first day of every month. Thats more than a whole bunch of posers on their hogs do.
'specially out here! hahaha

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think 2 years is a long time even if you use Stabil. Personally I would empty the gaz tank and spray the inside with fogging oil.

I stored a bike for 14 years and had no problems with rust inside the tank.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think 2 years is a long time even if you use Stabil. Personally I would empty the gaz tank and spray the inside with fogging oil.

I stored a bike for 14 years and had no problems with rust inside the tank.
That's awesome, but I think I like this idea the best:
Thanks both of you!

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I would definately sell it. Get max money out. You can buy the same model year back for thousands less in 2 years, and then you have the joy of having 2k to spend on new farkles for it. Assuming you dont blow all the money from the sale meantime. ;)

If your going to keep it, i would consider running the bike completely dry, then fogging the motor with oil to keep it from rusting and leave the cap off the gas tank so it has no moisture buildup. It's the moisture that causes the rust. Not sure even Stebil will prevent rust after 2 years. that gas is likely to go bad in that time. Be sure you don't store it with gas that has ethanol in it.

My vote is to sell it.

·
Administrator
18,442 Posts
I still agree on the "sell it" bikes are a dime a dozen and money is not. If it was some classic bike that was rare or old, then that would be a whole different situation.......you own a Strom! In the end you gotta do what is best for you, but using the head over the heart is a big difference.:yesnod:

·
Registered
278 Posts
To ride around the block once a month you need licence plates and insurance. Cost per Mile??? And I think its more frustrating than anything else:headbang:

Also, if you don't get the engine to normal operating temperatures water might accumulate in the muffler causing some rust.:thumbdown:

If you store it properly, two years form now, it will be like you left it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts