StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the darkside on March 22, 2014 on my 05 DL650 with a cooper weather master pro 205-50/17 @ 31,874 miles on the bike.

This Saturday I am going with a Sumitomo HTR A/S P01.

I will get 18,500 awesome miles on the cooper's (snow tire) ! I expect to get more from the Sumitomo (summer all season-$100 ).

Very happy with the darkside! Sure does beat the heck out of only getting 7000 miles out of $200 rear motorcycle tires! It's been a great ride!

Doug

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I went to the darkside on March 22, 2014 on my 05 DL650 with a cooper weather master pro 205-50/17 @ 31,874 miles on the bike.

This Saturday I am going with a Sumitomo HTR A/S P01.

I will get 18,500 awesome miles on the cooper's (snow tire) ! I expect to get more from the Sumitomo (summer all season-$100 ).

Very happy with the darkside! Sure does beat the heck out of only getting 7000 miles out of $200 rear motorcycle tires! It's been a great ride!

Doug

I'm not opposed in theory but am wondering what the turning sensation feels like. When my back tire has worn flat in the center there is a definite transition to the sidewall that I don't like. Darkside has to be the same yes? Or because of the lower tire pressure you don't notice?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for clarifying Randy-o.
Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would be interested in seeing some pix of this. I am looking at going to the darkside on my Road King later the summer. I have read great reports on doing this.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm curious to hear how this handles. How's it feel in corners vs. a regular motorcycle tire? How is the traction? How does it perform on gravel roads and dirt trails? I'm guessing it may be pretty good in dirt? Please let me know.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
I'm curious to hear how this handles. How's it feel in corners vs. a regular motorcycle tire? How is the traction? How does it perform on gravel roads and dirt trails? I'm guessing it may be pretty good in dirt? Please let me know.
gravel roads, great, muddy roads great

off road..... while traction is excellent, handling is not so good the foot print is too wide and rides over more anomalies that toss the weight of the bike around

the faster you ride, the more it feels just like a bike tire, cornering on pavement, grip is as good or better than a MC tire, a car tire ALWAYS has a larger contact patch, even when leaned over scraping pegs

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I'm looking at darkside tires.

Section width vs. tread width. I understand that the section width will be narrower because of the Strom's rim width. Is there some sort of conversion factor to get an idea? All the tires I've looked at have a wider section width than tread width. I realize that won't be the case necessarily on the bike.

So can you just go by tread width alone? Looks to me that 8" is about the max clearance on a Gen 2 650, sound right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do a google search for darkside database. There's a couple out there that lists tires users have used for different bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
google "darkside database" there a couple out there that will show you the tires someone has mounted on which bike.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to look at section width. It is 8.1" I think on this 205/50-17 sumitomo, which is as small as you'll find. Some are 8.4 or more.

The clearance between tire sidewall & chain is small. I shimmed both sprockets - the front was a custom job. It works great....

I finally got my bike back together yesterday. I was delayed by a car accident injury & my daughter's wedding...

This sumitomo is a vast improvement over my former snow tire! The corners are a lot more rounded off (vs squared off) - I'm referring to the flat tire profile. It feels more like a motorcycle tire. I think it also has to do with it being an all season tire vs a very soft snow tire.

Anyways, it felt excellent on my test ride.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post pictures again maybe this afternoon... Not promising...

Doug

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've been using run-flat CTs on my Wing for over 40,000 miles now and will never go back to a MT on the rear of that bike again.

Have not darksided the VStrom yet (16,000 miles now) but giving it some serious thought.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard that the run flats are popular amongst wing darksiders.

Doug

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Good info, thanks! If I can find one I'll likely have it put on for the Cache Rally this weekend.

·
Registered
15,498 Posts
One of the Moto mags had an article on the Dark Side and had a completely lop sided opinion. They had one perspective, that of 'don't do it' from a few self impressed experts. Not one interview with a rider that does the change or test on a bike with the car tire.
Wonderful balanced reporting! Maybe it's why I don't subscribe to that rag no mo!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so here we are almost 5 months after I put on the sumitomo ds tire; almost 10,000 miles and I'm very close to the wear bars.
The tire is a very nice tire for the cost, but I'm disappointed in mileage after getting 18k miles from my last ds snow tire. The sumitomo is rated 40k,so I was hoping to get 20k.
I've been researching other ds tire possibilities. 205/50r17's are a performance tire size,so most tires out there in this size are about 40k,soft tires.
I'm seriously considering a Yokohama 45k all season sport tire by next week.I'm looking at it Saturday morning to check it out.

I want to get a 70k to 80k mile tire,but a lot of them have an asymmetrical pattern-a lot of them channel water to one side of the tire mainly. I feel funny about that, and want a symmetrical tread pattern,which pretty much puts me into lower mileage rated tires.
It would be so nice to only have to swap out the rear tire once a year instead of 2x.

Doug

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
One of the Moto mags had an article on the Dark Side and had a completely lop sided opinion. They had one perspective, that of 'don't do it' from a few self impressed experts. Not one interview with a rider that does the change or test on a bike with the car tire.
Wonderful balanced reporting! Maybe it's why I don't subscribe to that rag no mo!
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story...
:wink2:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts