Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to plan the 2013 Havasu VStrom Roundup wanted to get the opinion of those interested in attending this year. Last year we had 16 awesome people show up and had a great time. This year hopefully we can win a couple more over. We'll set the date a couple of weeks earlier than last year so it's not so HOT! and plan a different route to ride on Saturday.

Would you be interested in changing up the camping location to a different park or stay at Lake Havasu State Park?

For all the hotel campers, would a cabin with bunks work for you or is that a/c and pillow top mattress just too good to pass up?

How long of a day ride are you comfortable with? Hour or mileage?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I actually liked Lake Havasu State Park but don't know about anything else available. Cabins with bunks would also be fine with me but it was nice being close to the water. A/C would be nice but it cooled off at night anyway so sleeping wasn't an issue and I hope to be riding during the day. In any case, I'm pretty open to about anything.

Have someone check with the LDS ladies (sorry had to be there) to see what their vacation schedule is going to be so we can coordinate. :jawdrop:

Rick

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Wussy folks want cabins. Groveling in the dirt in a tent is the way to go!
Fine fun to be repeated, just YAY!
Yeah the 107 temps sucked but that isn't HAvasu's fault. Blame the river.
Maybe we won't be awakened by big boat motors late at night.

Youse guys busted your butt last spring and it was great. Keep it simple and personal. I loved it!

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Perhaps......... DL's and Adventure type bikes....

Oh, jeeze, that means those fraking BMW's and oh my gawd, a KTM!:yikes:

I can invite friend with a Stelvio. Be nice and try not to laugh in his face!

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
LMAO......:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input so far! We might open up to the other adventure bikes too, that seems to be favored a bit. And I think we'll stay at LH State Park. Keepin' it simple!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with Rick, we need to check on certain vacation plans! :mrgreen:

I think the KISS strategy is the best. We had good camping spots, very close to the hotels for those used to the finer things.
As far as a ride goes, I'm good for 500+ miles or just hanging around all day talking about riding 500 mile days. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
435 Posts
What month is this going to happen? I have camped on the river north of Parker, nice camping. If its not to hot I will go.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You know what's crazy though? The weekend before we all met, there was a snow storm in Flagstaff that dropped quit a bit of snow, I don't think I could've even got out of town. The very next weekend we were in Havasu in the triple digits...

Only in Arizona!

Anyone want to hit the coast a day or 2 before this event? I've always got the itch!

Or maybe Six Flags?

I'll have a severe cabin fever by that time..

:)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
annual roundup at Havasu

I like the idea, never been to the location - its on my todo list

Wife and I would combine the trip with some hiking in the Grand Canyon and nearby areas.

My ONLY problem is that my construction contract is hanging its first plates in March (if they stay on track, unknown at this time) so that might be critical - or not! I can always stay in touch by email on my Blackberry.

April may be better - snow in March is more likely than in April - also - I want some of the ice to have melted away from the trails in the GC.

I would likely trailer the DL650 down to the roundup.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You know what's crazy though? The weekend before we all met, there was a snow storm in Flagstaff that dropped quit a bit of snow, I don't think I could've even got out of town. The very next weekend we were in Havasu in the triple digits...
I got caught in that storm, 70 degrees when we left Albuquerque. Started snowing on us in Zuni and didn't let up until we got to the southern side of Salt river canyon near Globe. 250 miles in the freezing rain and snow isn't fun. Don't want to do that again. Late March is a gamble IMO. Weather may be good in Havasu, but wherever someone is departing from could be very different that early in the season.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Last weekend of March is the 30th & 31st. Roll the dice and stick with it. No matter which month, you'll have some that can or can't make it.

When is all the Havasu shananagans with the Spring Break crowd? That may be something to consider as well. Definitely be more entertaining in the campground!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm game for opening it up to more bikes.
I tried to do a Havasu Scouting run I believe it was a week before this gathering and the town was sold out for the big fireworks deal.
It would be fun to join the 2 but I think reservations would be impossible.
I hope to make it no matter when you decide to do it.
I will still wuss out and hotel it, my back doesnt do the camping thing well.
Its either that or truck the bike down and use my truck tent that i sleep better in then my bed at home.
I'm thinking of a lunch run to Jerome this year:mrgreen:
Mike

1 - 20 of 164 Posts