StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two yellow vstroms passing in the night! Yours had nice OEM cases though... Pout. Post here if it was you!:p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yup, that was me. I picked you up on Rt 29 north in Burtonsville and rode with you until my exit for home at Johns Hopkins road. You were being led by a red sport bike, I assume was a Honda. It was around 10pm on Tuesday.

I guess I work too much and haven't kept up with the latest models because I was blown away to see a 650 in yellow. I thought that color was only offered in early model 1000's. Go figure.

If you ever want to hook up and ride, let me know. Or if you normally ride with a group, let me know when you are doing a ride. Maybe I can join your group.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you guys want to meet up with some locals, on the 20th of this month my wife and I are hosting an open house bbq for all of our riding buddies. You're welcome to come along. Just let me know. Seems like we're starting around 2ish and it's right over in the Sykesville area. Few other strom guys may be there as well.

http://beginnerandbeyond.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3851

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was so fun. I hadn't seen any other yellow Vstroms besides mine yet. Rode with a blue one on 4 to Solomon's Island for awhile and passed a red one today on 175 in Columbia. I would love to ride with you at some point. I belong to a forum called Monkey Riders, but I've only done 1 group ride with them. They are mostly zippy sports bikes and my skills aren't quite up to their level. I'm thinking about taking a trip up to the bike rally next weekend in Ocean City.

Code, I would love to come to the bbq. I'll have to leave around 3 to go to my Army Reserve duty though. Thanks for the invite! Could you pm me the address please? I live in Columbia near the mall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS. My boyfriend was quite offended... a Honda! It's a Ducati... lol. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's a duck. And what's wrong with a Honda? Bikes are pretty bullet proof, not as spendy. A bikes a bike ;)

Another monkey huh? hmmmmm....

Sent ya a pm....be sure to pm Ridgerunner as noted too.

....Also, just out of curiousity....what's your real first name? I ask cause I know someone who rides and has a bf with a duc. I'm sure there is a lot of them out there, but not many in the general area of ellicott city / columbia.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He actually owns a VFR and a Nighthawk too. He also calls the Ducati his torture rack, lol. I have a Ninja 250 and my Vstrom. We manage to fit them all into one parking space at my apartment complex!

Ya, another Monkey. I mostly go do the hiway cleanup and the follow on ride. I don't do too much posting. I'm more of a lurker.

My first name is Leia.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"If you guys want to meet up with some locals, on the 20th of this month my wife and I are hosting an open house bbq for all of our riding buddies. You're welcome to come along. Just let me know. Seems like we're starting around 2ish and it's right over in the Sykesville area. Few other strom guys may be there as well."

Code - Thanks for the offer. I would love to join your get together, but it will have to be a last minute decision. My kids have endless sports activities, so it's hard for me to get free time on the weekends at certain times during the year. Can you PM me your address?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Leia,

I didn't realize you were a girl. Seeing you on the bike that night I thought you were a small dude.

Sorry for the slight on your boyfriend's Ducati. I guess I wasn't looking at the bike closely enough.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Osii,

You know Ray is one of those yuppie riders who buys the Harley as a status symbol and doesn't ride it.

Whether it's because he wants to impress his non riding buddies during a party at his house, or to attract the chicks at the beach every summer, it really doesn't matter. What's important is that he has a Harley in the garage all waxed up. And it's lucky to get 30 miles on it every year. But honestly can you blame him? Would you ride something that needs a pickup truck in tow just in case it breaks down? Why do you think Harley licensed their name on those Ford F-150's?

And those guys going through their mid life crisis period buying those high dollar BMW motorcycles, they aren't too far behind with all of those final drive failures. I predict a BMW logo on a Dodge Ram pickup in 2009.

You thought Ray was a rider, but you were obviously mistaken.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow Trey, you just registered as a member of a Vstrom site. Could it be you are being assimilated? Let's see, if you sell the 750 and VFR, that will be enough for a deposit on a new DL1000. Hurry though, every year the rumor crops up that this will be the last year for the 1000. I'm not sure why considering how it does everything so well. And I won't even suggest you sell the Ducati, I'm sure that's a blast.

Beware, after Leia gets that bonus check at work, she will have those saddle bags for her Strom. Your 750 and VFR will have to hit the road in order to make room in that one parking space at your apartment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually considered it, but it doesn't make sense to buy a Strom when I could spend quite a bit less to outfit my VFR as a tourer, which is already underway (I already have Givi bags for the CB750, so I have mounting hardware for the VFR on the way). I've been to Texas and back (~3000 miles round trip) in 8 days on the VFR in stock form but I was a bit younger then. With higher clip-ons, a taller screen, a sargent seat and givi bags, it should be a fine touring mate for Leia's strom.

When Leia was considering upgrading from her Ninja I made up a spreadsheet of various models I thought she should consider, given her requirement that she wants to do more touring-type riding. (I had previously been subtly campaigning for a SV650 upgrade) Basically I arrived on the Vstrom 650 or Kawasaki Versys as the best choices, and the next day we were at the dealership putting mile number 1 on a fresh-out-of-the-box yellow 08 Wee. A few hours of paperwork later and she's got a new bike.

So I definitely like the Strom, it just doesn't make sense for me when I already have a perfectly capable middleweight sport tourer in my possession. The only areas the Strom has a leg up on my VFR is fuel efficiency and offroad ability, and maybe comfort. I'm doing what mods I can to address that last one though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SV650 blah... Campaign unsuccessful. I was campaigning for the Busa. Campaign unsuccessful as well. Something about death and can I be a beneficiary on your life insurance. I already had the itch to tour and then we saw Long Way Round and that cemented me wanting to get a touring motorcycle and hit the road. Every time I'm driving to work now I just want to pass my exit and just keep on going. Sigh. Stupid work getting in the way of my riding... grumble.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That was so fun. I hadn't seen any other yellow Vstroms besides mine yet. Rode with a blue one on 4 to Solomon's Island for awhile and passed a red one today on 175 in Columbia. I would love to ride with you at some point. I belong to a forum called Monkey Riders, but I've only done 1 group ride with them. They are mostly zippy sports bikes and my skills aren't quite up to their level. I'm thinking about taking a trip up to the bike rally next weekend in Ocean City.

Code, I would love to come to the bbq. I'll have to leave around 3 to go to my Army Reserve duty though. Thanks for the invite! Could you pm me the address please? I live in Columbia near the mall.

Where do you guys find all the other stroms? I've been putting in serious miles up in the Sykesville/Wesminister Area (son started college up there) and never have seen another up there. It sure is nice riding up there on on the smaller roads....and when I get ready to go home, I just jump on 15 or 70 and fly home to Pasadena.

I'll probably be up on 32n sometime this evening since after I ride home from work, I'm picking up my girl for a nice ride....can't miss us, she has a pink gxr jacket and my v is blue with a topcase....

jeff

·
Registered
332 Posts
Jeff..sent ya a pm. Give me a call sometime. Live out in Sykesville and commute to Severn area every day.

Trey...your welcome to come out to the bbq too if ya want.

Skyline is 30mph and strongly enforced any more. We got pulled over the last time we were there..so be careful. Apparently between Front Royal and 211 they've been seeing a lot of speeding and accidents (that includes people hauling and wrecking on thorton gap on 211. It's almost better just to suck it up and make a longer day of it to go down to the blue ridge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the eyes of an eagle! Well, an eagle with glasses. What is everybody up to on Saturday? So far the weather looks good for the day. Perhaps a ride and lunch?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I may be able to swing something for a short ride and some lunch on sat., can't do anything lengthy cause I've got house crap to do and we'll have to find a sitter for the kid. Let me see what's what and I'll let ya'll know later on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts