Strom Trooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to share that my 1 year old V Strom 1000XT 2018 is doing well @ 25k miles. My goal is to see 200k. I am inspired by all the high mileage riders on this forum.

A few of the trips big trips I've done with it from north eastern PA:

California
Florida Keys
Gaspe Peninsula

Near Future Rides Planned:
Upper Peninsula is slotted for Labor Day Weekend 2019
Alaska - Summer 2020 (I really hope)

Next week I will be mounting my 5th set of tires on the bike. The tires I used are as followed:
1. OEM Tires (8k miles)
2. Heidenau k76s (8k miles)
3. Shinko 705s (4k miles, but the worst front tire I have ever used)
4. Heidenau k76s (5k miles, but a lot more 2up riding than the first k76 set)

Chain replaced @ 20k miles, which was a little premature, but I had a 3k mile ride that I wasn't comfortable trying to squeeze the miles out of a worn chain.

Oil used: Motul 300V 10W-40

Bled the brakes twice, which was at a 10k mile interval. Pads are good

OEM seat is comfy as hell.

OEM suspension is feeling pretty worn. Time to start looking for some aftermarket options.

My only real issue was a fluke broken foot peg casting, which wasn't covered by warranty.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Was the footpeg mount broken in a fall?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the footpeg mount broken in a fall?
The bike didn't fall over. There was a hairline crack in the footpeg plate casting and the bike was only about a week and a half old. My awful local Suzuki dealer insisted it had to have been from a fall and they've never seen anything like that (as always), but it might have been from rolling it out of my garage and catching the side of the house with the peg.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Going to check the valves?

Might want to if your goal is 200K miles on that motor!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to check the valves?

Might want to if your goal is 200K miles on that motor!
Yes, checked them at 14k, I believe. Due for another check next month, after Labor Day Weekend.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Send your forks and shock to DMr Performance Suspension ? Performance Motorcycle Suspension and Chassis in the offseason. You will like the result. There are other companies doing similar work.
The problem is I ride all year round. I will check it out though. I might have to schedule some time off from riding the strom, if it's cost effective enough.

I barely started looking, but I was hoping to find a replacement rear shock, without breaking the bank, and inserts for the forks that I could do myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know how you did all those miles on the stock seat. I just replaced mine after one long day in the saddle. I went out and got a Sargent seat. That stock seat is torture after several hours.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know how you did all those miles on the stock seat. I just replaced mine after one long day in the saddle. I went out and got a Sargent seat. That stock seat is torture after several hours.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Did a small trip 3200km in 5 days. With the oem seat.
I'm what you call call an iron butt.🤣😉

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Valve clearances were checked for the second time. The same front exhaust valve that was .0015 inch tight (out of spec) was .001 inch tight again. I did all the work at my friend's motorcycle shop, except the valve clearance check and one valve adjustment; I left that to the pro because it's one of my least favorite things to do.

1.5 hours to get the bike down to the valve covers
1 hour of checking clearances, looking up specs, remeasuring clearances, and adjusting the one valve
2.5 hours to get it back together, but I wasted time with dumb small issues like not being able to get the air box rubber boots back on the intake. That was a pain.

We adjusted the valve back to spec and if the valve moves that much again, going to need to do a upper engine rebuild (at least on that cylinder). I feel like I always get a bike that has valve issues. Disappointed that the rock solid v strom might not be so rock solid in the near future.

Plan was to ride up to Alaska next summer, but I'm not sure if that makes sense with a potential valve issue looming. I don't have 14k miles planned between now and then, but I would at least have to check the valves again a month or two prior to leaving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The hardest part of the whole job was getting the air box boots to seat properly on the intake and getting that damn hose clamp tightened. It was really tough to get to, as shown by the attached pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't understand why my pictures are upside down or sideways. I tried to reload the pictures and I checked them on the computer. They are the correct orientation on my comp and phone. If a mod can help with instructions on how to fix, that would be wonderful

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'd bet the valves are done moving out of spec for a long time. When are you checking them next...50K?
I hope they are done moving.

I will definitely check them at 38k miles, but I may check at 30-32k if I am still planning on going to Alaska next summer. I only have about 5k miles planned for this winter and nothing planned for the spring yet, but that will be figured out after new year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had my wee Strom valves checked at 120k miles. I don’t see the reason why you deal so much with valve clearance. In any case valve clearance won’t cause you any damage to prevent you from going to Alaska mate .my 2c

·
2015 DL650
109 Posts
The proud moment I fire up the bike and it idles smooth.
Nicely done! Firing up the bike after a major maintenance is always very exciting and confidence inspiring.

I hope to ride 25K miles a year someday. Keep on enjoying your adventures 🏍👍

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
First time I've seen the tank and airbox off one of those. Very different than the first iteration.

I wouldn't sweat the valves too much. From all accounts, in seems any major adjustments are likely to be needed early in the bike's life.

I think it's more for your peace of mind than for the bike. Take up meditation instead. I find riding is good meditation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts