StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey !

I own a 2016 Xt vstrom, with spoked wheels.
My idea would be to change only the rim and spokes for a 21-inch version. (but keep the hub, brakes ...)
someone already did that? (I saw some gs1200 on the web modified as well. but no vstrom)
The rim was easy to find (with tube) but which spokes would be compatible with the stock hub ? :confused:

thanks !

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
Doubtful, or I am sure somebody would've done such by now.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Spokes can be found in all sorts of lengths. Your biggest concerns will be clearance for the front wheel at full suspension travel, and on road handling. You will need to lift the rear to get the stance back to the proper weight distribution, which is also nicer since you gain some ground clearance. It would be a nice project and not too hard, but there is more involved than just swapping over the rim and spokes.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
The XT rims are DID. So sourcing a 21" wheel with correct spoke count should be no problem. Also finding correct spokes for that application should be no problem. Just find a bike with the same design front 21".

Unless you were born a Wizard, you won't be able to spoke the wheel yourself. So that becomes a problem in itself.

Once that is handled you will most certainly need to raise the front fender with an Adventuretech.biz fender kit. Or go directly to a high fender ( motocross/enduro mount ).

You will have bragging rights. It will also steer slow due to the geometry change. But that could be more stable off road.

You will still have a V Strom which doesn't match a true off road bike for those conditions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your biggest concerns will be clearance for the front wheel at full suspension travel,
My fender raising kit on 2015 1000 with a brake line relocation will make the brake crossover cable come extreemly close to the radiator. Mine hit and put a ding in my radaitor when I bottomed the front. Its since been moved closer to stock. My fender is still hitting the crash bars cross over tube.

Not saying a 21 wont work, but fender clearance on the radiator and cross bar for the crash bars will be a major issue.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I built a bicycle from pieces years ago. Spoked the wheels and got it right. It's just a matter of being careful and following instructions.
It's not rocket science and people did it for the last 100 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You must do a lot of off pavement to want a 21 inch wheel, could always sell your XT and get an Africa Twin, KTM 1090 or Tiger 800.
I love my strom and also love make mods on the motorcycle i have. The tiger 800 / f800gs are not the same price range and have others disadvantages (for the price of a strom with 2k-4k km you have a f800 or tiger with 50k-60k km + more expensive insurance...in my country ) I think a little offroad upgrade is just what i need on the vstrom.

Your biggest concerns will be clearance for the front wheel at full suspension travel, and on road handling. You will need to lift the rear to get the stance back to the proper weight distribution, which is also nicer since you gain some ground clearance.
i already have the shorter rear link / higher rear :)

My fender raising kit on 2015 1000 with a brake line relocation will make the brake crossover cable come extreemly close to the radiator. Mine hit and put a ding in my radaitor when I bottomed the front. Its since been moved closer to stock. My fender is still hitting the crash bars cross over tube.

Not saying a 21 wont work, but fender clearance on the radiator and cross bar for the crash bars will be a major issue.
OK it's nice to know that, it's a first thing to check !

The XT rims are DID. So sourcing a 21" wheel with correct spoke count should be no problem. Also finding correct spokes for that application should be no problem. Just find a bike with the same design front 21".
This is my problem now, how i can find the right spokes ? angles, lenght...

Thanks for help and advices :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Bottleneck: The companies that sell the rims will be happy to sell you the right spokes. If you are taking the wheel to someone else to do the installation, they would get the correct spokes for you. I did just what you are doing to my '71 Honda SL 350 which I used mostly in the dirt. It came with a 19" steel front wheel and I put a 21" aluminum wheel on it, way back when. I even raced it in the open class, beginner motocross and the wheel stood up well. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The brakes will be worse with the 21" rim, so take that into account.
Interesting. I certainly never thought of that. I assume the cause of this is that the wheel will spin less to cover the same distance.....or something like that. So, theoretically will the brakes be somewhat more effective if one goes to a 17" front wheel as some have discussed? I always learn something from your posts, Rich.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
It's a question of lever arm. The 21" wheel has its contact patch farther out from center, meaning more torque needed to slow or stop it, vs. the 19" wheel.

Somewhat balancing this is the increased contact patch on the larger tire. I'm not sure how big a factor that is, but all other things being equal, it should mean you can brake harder before skidding happens.

If you can already lock up the 19" front wheel, I'm not sure effective braking will suffer that much with a 21" wheel (assuming the same calipers, rotors, and pads as before).

It's likely one of those things that can only be truly answered by trying it.

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
It's a question of lever arm. The 21" wheel has its contact patch farther out from center, meaning more torque needed to slow or stop it, vs. the 19" wheel.

Somewhat balancing this is the increased contact patch on the larger tire. I'm not sure how big a factor that is, but all other things being equal, it should mean you can brake harder before skidding happens.

If you can already lock up the 19" front wheel, I'm not sure effective braking will suffer that much with a 21" wheel (assuming the same calipers, rotors, and pads as before).

It's likely one of those things that can only be truly answered by trying it.
If the overall rolling diameter is greater is this difference going to cause issues with ABS?

..Tom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
I wouldn't think so. The ABS tone ring would not act differently based on wheel size, and that's what the ABS sensor uses to determine the wheel is skidding (brakes locked).

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
The sensor ring the ABS module reads from will be showing less wheel speed with the 21" vs 19". That might make the abs module think the front tire is already starting to skid? Compared to the factory front/back tire bias it would certainly see the front tire turning slower than it should compared to factory settings vs rear tire. But it may be able to account for that, as tire wear would/could also do the same thing in reverse.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,701 Posts
The sensor ring the ABS module reads from will be showing less wheel speed with the 21" vs 19". That might make the abs module think the front tire is already starting to skid? Compared to the factory front/back tire bias it would certainly see the front tire turning slower than it should compared to factory settings vs rear tire. But it may be able to account for that, as tire wear would/could also do the same thing in reverse.
I freely admit I am speculating, but I don't think most ABS implementations attempt to calculate wheel speed. They simply ask "is the wheel turning?" and temporarily let off the brakes if the wheel is locked.

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
I freely admit I am speculating, but I don't think most ABS implementations attempt to calculate wheel speed. They simply ask "is the wheel turning?" and temporarily let off the brakes if the wheel is locked.
One way to disable ABS is to put the bike on the centerstand and run the bike in gear with the rear wheel off the ground. When the ABS sees the front wheel stopped and the rear turning it figures something is wrong and disables the system.

I suspect (but don't know for a fact) it works by looking at the difference in speed between the front and the rear. If one is turning a certain amount slower than the other then it will think that wheel is starting to lock up and back off the brake. If the wheel is larger diameter it might either think it is starting to lock or might release much earlier than it should.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts