StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say you purchased a used 2006 DL1000 with 16,000 miles on her. You had a basic service (oil change, chain adjustment, idle adjustment, etc) done at a dealer right after you bought her then rode for about 4,000 miles.

I only have partial service records from the pervious owner but they seemed to have taken good care of the bike.

What services would you perform on the bike when it hit 20k miles? Yes, I do plan to keep the bike for a long time. Yes, I have a long trip planned for January (I live in the SW so it's riding season NOW). Yes, I'm planning to do most of the work myself and am competent. I also have a friend who was a MC mechanic if I get in over my head.

The bike is running fine now and has no performance mods (stock exhaust, no PCM).

What upgrades might you also make while doing said maintenance?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Valve clearance checks are called for every 15,000 miles.

From what you described, it doesn't sound like this has been done.

It's also not clear if a TBS has been done, but this is a good thing to check at least every valve check. If you add vacuum tubing to the throttle bodies, future checks are very easy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. How hard are valve checks for someone with fair to moderate mechanical skills? The sync looks like something I will tackle on my own but I'm not sure on the valve checks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Valve checks are simple provided that you have a manual (free downloads available), a clean place to work, access to a selection of shims and tools (in-lb torque wrench, magnetic pickup tool), and a free hour or two.

Also, check out the sticky on this site - it's very helpful to someone who hasn't done it before.

Assuming the PO didn't have it done, you'll likely find some tight valves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts