StromTrooper banner

2023 650, 4000-4200 rpm buzzing noise

7033 Views 24 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Rhino H
I just bought my ‘23 650 base, no accessories, and on my ride home from the dealer, noticed a slight buzzing noise from 4000-4200 rpms across all gears that would cease above or below that range. First time strom owner so and 0 miles on the bike when I bought it so not sure if it’s a problem or just breaking in? Thanks for any advice. Otherwise it’s an awesome ride and look forward to years on it.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
I advise to keep riding and try to pinpoint the source of the buzzing, it's likely a loose windscreen mount or something similar. Congrats on the new bike!
I concur with Stickerbush. I experienced similar with my old 2013 DL650 after I'd added engine bars. This went away when I re-mounted them with rubber washers which eliminated the buzz. I realise yours is without any add-ons, so I would suspect it's a dealer issue where something is resting incorrectly or perhaps hasn't been properly torqued. This rev range in the 650 engine (4k-ish) does seem to be one that easily resonates with anything loose. It's hard to pinpoint, and the part which emits the noise isn't always the part which needs attention. With mine, the noise seemed to come from the front of the fairing, but remounting the engine bars cured it.

Also try holding the revs with the the bike parked and feel around by hand for where vibrations are most intense (taking the obvious precautions) - feel can be as good as your ears for tracking this down.
I appreciate both the feedbacks and will try out holding the rpms in neutral and see what I find. I’ll report back here what I find for everyone’s SA. Thanks y’all.
Welcome aboard @Neumann!

(If that picture in your post is current this wouldn't apply to you .) The most often cause of buzzing in that range happens with DL650's that have crash bars. Some resonance happens with the bars at that rev range. Previous suggestions are good places to look.

BGTW we share the same last name. :)

..Tom
Welcome aboard @Neumann!

(If that picture in your post is current this wouldn't apply to you .) The most often cause of buzzing in that range happens with DL650's that have crash bars. Some resonance happens with the bars at that rev range. Previous suggestions are good places to look.

BGTW we share the same last name. :)

..Tom
Thanks Tom,

that is the bike in question pictured so just the base model, no guards. I think it might be a mechanical or pump issue since it’s very precisely in that rev range but I did just adjust the windscreen and torqued a few bolts so could be that but will have to wait a few days for decent weather. Truly appreciate the strom family and all the responses in such a short time. Always good to meet another Neumann too
Reactions: 1
I just bought my ‘23 650 base, no accessories, and on my ride home from the dealer, noticed a slight buzzing noise from 4000-4200 rpms across all gears that would cease above or below that range. First time strom owner so and 0 miles on the bike when I bought it so not sure if it’s a problem or just breaking in? Thanks for any advice. Otherwise it’s an awesome ride and look forward to years on it.
Perhaps it would be in your best interest to just take the thing back to your dealer and have them look at it.

Nice looking bike by the way.
Perhaps it would be in your best interest to just take the thing back to your dealer and have them look at it.

Nice looking bike by the way.
Yeah I’ve considered just doing that too if by the break in period it hasn’t subsided. They’re just far away but will be heading back by the 600 miles anyhow.
Reactions: 1
Congrats on the bike and welcome, vibrations can be tough to find however above ideas will pinpoint hopefully.
Took it out for a little ride by the Rockies. Does seem like the noise is lessening but still there.

Attachments

See less See more
Congrats on the bike and welcome, vibrations can be tough to find however above ideas will pinpoint hopefully.
Thanks, the worst is it’s not physical vibration, just the noise of it. I’m sure I’ll get it figured out but regardless, very happy with the bike.
Hi Neumann nice bike. Were you able to resolve this ?
I have a similar issue with my new DL 650 XT, no accessories fitted. Sounds like something is loose at the front, I plan on getting it checked at the first service.
Hi Neumann nice bike. Were you able to resolve this ?
I have a similar issue with my new DL 650 XT, no accessories fitted. Sounds like something is loose at the front, I plan on getting it checked at the first service.
No I haven’t, in fact I took it in for the first service and they said it was all good. Might try another place and see what they say but I feel it might just be the reostat on the tach due to it happening on all gears.
Do you know if the dealer did a full re-torque of all fasteners. I believe that is part of the 1st service. Motor mounts in particular, as they require a special tool for some. These motors(At least earlier ones) were noted for smoothing out after several 1,000 mi. My 05 did.
Thanks Neumann I'll have it checked also at the first service and let you know if they find the cause.
Try adjusting your chain to the loose side of the recommended tightness. Also, clean and re-lube the chain with liberal amount of lube.

Many threads on the topic of vibrations. Here’s one (see post #73).
Hi Neumann I worked out today where the vibration/ buzzing on my bike is coming from - its the left side front bracket that the tank attaches too. My bike is booked in for its first service, however I have made a temporary fix by working some electrical tape around the bracket. No need to remove anything. I will get the dealer to fix it properly if they can. Anyway worth checking , you can feel the vibration in the 4200rpm range. The right side is fine, maybe because there are some cables attached to the bracket with a cable tie. Cheers
Hi Neumann I worked out today where the vibration/ buzzing on my bike is coming from - its the left side front bracket that the tank attaches too. My bike is booked in for its first service, however I have made a temporary fix by working some electrical tape around the bracket. No need to remove anything. I will get the dealer to fix it properly if they can. Anyway worth checking , you can feel the vibration in the 4200rpm range. The right side is fine, maybe because there are some cables attached to the bracket with a cable tie. Cheers
Awesome, thanks for letting me know, I will definitely have to check mine out and I'll let you all know.
Glad you pinpointed those issues can be resolved.
Hello... I have v strom 650 xt 2023 with 600km and i have this buzzing sound 🤯... Can you please put some picures of weak spot, that left side Bracket... Thanx

Edit... It Is Bracket... It Is on loose and vibrateing, it has about 5mm empty space where rubber dumper is placed. I inserted some peace of rubber in empty space and vibrations and buzzing are gone... Thanx a lot it wuld take life time and dissasemby whole bike to adress source 🔝 thanx.
I will reporter that at first service it must be mass production fault.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts