StromTrooper banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well, Don’t hate … I am going to do Alaska this year so I canceled my cabin at the KOA. I was looking forward to seeing all of you, but I’ve been wanting to do Alaska for 3 years now, and I’m finally going to make it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Well, Don’t hate … I am going to do Alaska this year so I canceled my cabin at the KOA. I was looking forward to seeing all of you, but I’ve been wanting to do Alaska for 3 years now, and I’m finally going to make it.
No hate here. Enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks. I’m kind of bummed because I’ll miss this rally again. 🙁

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
I'm out for ten days of riding, day one was short, Medford South on I5 to Cal 96 along the Klamath River going west to Eureka for the night. Do ride Hwy 96 if you have a chance. From Eureka this morning I rode south to Ferndale, then the lost coast, back to Hwy 101 and south to Ukiah, Ca for the night. The weather on the coast could not have been better, cool, clear, terrific. Inland though, 100 degrees and full on sun. I have a motel room in Crescent City for the rally on Tuesday and Wednesday and would be happy to do this ride again. It was about 3 hours from Eureka through Mattole Rd and the LC, coming out to 101 again at about noon. I did stop a couple times for pictures, and in Honeydew for a burrito and drink. The road is asphalt with a few 50 yard gravel stretches, road maintenance never ends here, much of the rest of the road is patched torn up blacktop that will have you checking your mirrors to see if your top box and side bags are still attached. Lots of first gear switchbacks too, if you're not careful, you could drop your bike on one of them. Also several single lane bridges, but traffic is so light out there, I saw half a dozen cars/trucks, and the same number of bikes. All said though, it's worth riding, just at 35 or 40 MPH in many areas, some even slower. And, on cape Mendocino, you'll be on the westernmost point on the California coast.
And, you come out in the redwoods, Humbolt park getting back to Hwy 101

Cape Mendocino - Wikipedia

It looks like about a 300 mile, but 7-9 hour day from Crescent City, depending on stops and such.

Plant Natural landscape Branch Road surface Shade

Sky Plant Road surface Asphalt Mountain

Water Sky Cloud Plant Azure

Sky Plant Vehicle Mode of transport Track

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Road surface Wood

·
Registered
313 Posts
Highwayman,
Hoping your wife's recovery and PT goes as well as my little brother's did when he had his knee replaced. It made a huge difference for him.

·
Registered
K9 Wee
536 Posts
No problem friend!
Enjoy the ride to the Territory of Baranov.

I hope you get a chance to post a ride report with some photos.

What shoes will you have on the Wee?
Have a safe trip.

Sent from my Tab 11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
No problem friend!
Enjoy the ride to the Territory of Baranov.

I hope you get a chance to post a ride report with some photos.

What shoes will you have on the Wee?
Have a safe trip.

Mitas E-07 front and rear. After riding to Oregon, I put a new rear on so I would have a fresh tire for the off-road class.

as an aside, the suspension upgrade by Jay at Sasquatch Suspensions was a huge improvement. I didn’t bottom out on any of the off road riding I did, and now I have minimal sag, loaded with no preload on the front or rear shocks.. I’ll start a thread or add on to an existing one about suspension work when I get time.

·
Registered
K9 Wee
536 Posts
I just put new Shinkos 705's on the Wee, changed brake fluid, and make sure brake pads had lots of life remaining.

I picked up an evaporation vest for those hot days enroute to the coast. I have an outbound route sketched out. Looking forward to leaving Northern Minnesota on the 11th.

Oh, I also got a new to me RDL seat. Looking it a lot

Reactions: Byronw

·
Registered
801 Posts
Been wanting to ride that area, if it were over a weekend I'd try to make it. Just burned up most of my vacation time on the Oregon BDR.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I'll be there Monday.

Reactions: Byronw
101 - 120 of 143 Posts