StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don Miller has passed this on to me for next year so I have selected Crescent City, California. The dates are July 18th to July 22nd at the Crescent City Redwoods KOA. Reservations will be accepted at the KOA starting January 1st 2022. Tent sites start at $38, rustic cabins at $77.50,

deluxe cabins at $135 and RV spots at $52.50. Mention the Cache Gathering.

Right near the coast the weather is cool. Average highs in the 60’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Following!
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: notacop

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Great area. I met Len there to do a look and see.

Reactions: vegashotwheeler

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
I do hope to be at this one. No one at home now to say I can't go. Got friends not far away in Oregon too.
Do I take the Wee Strom or the New BMW? decisions, decisions.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I do hope to be at this one. No one at home now to say I can't go. Got friends not far away in Oregon too.
Do I take the Wee Strom or the New BMW? decisions, decisions.
Hope we both can make it. Been a couple years(Colorado?). Either bike works.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
After a 103K miles on the Wee a mechanic is suggesting a lot of things to have a look at. I may have way more invested in it than it's worth? I'm not much for doing the work myself anymore. My 4Runner needs the same sort of care. it's close to 200K miles. The body is perfect and interior holding on too. Got a couple technical fault read outs. Like the BMW's Bring My Wallet. :eek:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reservations are now being taken. I got a deluxe cabin on the KOA app.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Awesome, cool weather, great roads, and close to home ! You can't go wrong, pick a direction and go. Be aware, going inland 100 miles or so will be 90 + degrees and dry. We ride to the coast in summer months to escape the heat here. You may also see days of fog and drizzle, so dress in layers with some waterproofing. Up and down the coast or inland river valleys on blacktop or miles and miles of fire and logging roads.
Climate
Product Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

Some terrific twisty blacktop riding :

Map Ecoregion Green World Atlas

·
2015 DL650
230 Posts
In! Sounds fantastic, July 18-22nd weather should be beautiful as well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BDave,

Nope. Make a res, pay the rent, enjoy the camping.
KOA used to offer a discount to members. Been many years since I paid for that card.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Some local information:
Crescent City is a small town, about 7,000 people. The major industry is the Pelican Bay Maximum Security State Prison. And commercial fishing.
They have a Walmart, couple grocery stores, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Denny's Restaurant, and a couple Pizza places. The Chart Room on the Jetty is good for fish and chips, other sea food places in town I can't vouch for. The towns on N Cal and Oregon coast are small with limited businesses. Usually gas stations, motels and a few restaurants.
There is a light house off the beach in Crescent City you can walk around, if you catch low tide you can walk to it, at high tide you'd have to swim out there.
Jedidiah Smith State park is a couple miles, but a short 5 minute ride through the "Redwoods" on the highway. You can park and hike if you want, but to ride through them takes, literally 5 minutes. To really see Redwoods, go to the Avenue of the Giants, take the Lost Coast ride. (below)
The area is full of great gravel and blacktop riding, Hwy 199 to Medford is nice, but traffic can be heavy, with occasional passing lanes. Hwy 199 South to 299 or 36 is terrific, Hwy 96 along the Klamath River is awesome, If you're willing to ride longer, google Sawyers Bar, Forks of Salmon, Cecilville, Hwy 3 Trinity Alps over Scott Mountain, plenty of great riding out here. Oh ! And google California Lost Coast. A bit over 300 mile round trip, you'll get to the Lost Coast of California, and can enjoy the Avenue of the Giants. Don't miss it.
There is no Suzuki dealer anywhere near us, The Medford, Or. shop closed back in the 07/08 economy bust, our Grants Pass, Or. shop closed recently with the owner's health problems. Medford does have a Honda/Kawasaki dealer, BMW dealer, KTM and a Yamaha dealer. There is a Cyclegear store in Medford Oregon (not a big city here either) I'm about 110 miles inland from Crescent City. Anyone having mechanical problems, we could get your bike to my garage, I have tools and a bike lift and would offer any help I can. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'll watch, and hand you tools, LOL.

I don't ride a lot of gravel or dirt, but can share some ideas on terrific paved routes. The traffic in summer is often a problem with limited passing lanes and lots of motor homes and trailers on the road. Some of these roads are steep dropoffs with no guard rails. Sawyers Bar, Fork of the Salmon are blacktop but not two lanes wide, it's shared with cars, and care is needed going into the many corners, a car might be right in the middle of the road, with a cliff on your side going down 100 feet to the river. Bald Hills Road is mostly blacktop, with about 6 miles of good gravel at the highest elevation.

Bear Camp Road
Oregon's Bear Camp Road: Friend or Foe (soundrider.com)

Lost Coast

Bald Hills Road, Happy Camp, Obrien, Crescent City (road from Happy Camp to Obrien was closed, fire last year)

Trinity Alps, hwy 299, etc

Hwy 36, as good as it gets

and many more around here. This ought to be fun.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Some local information:
Crescent City is a small town, about 7,000 people. The major industry is the Pelican Bay Maximum Security State Prison. And commercial fishing.
They have a Walmart, couple grocery stores, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Denny's Restaurant, and a couple Pizza places. The Chart Room on the Jetty is good for fish and chips, other sea food places in town I can't vouch for. The towns on N Cal and Oregon coast are small with limited businesses. Usually gas stations, motels and a few restaurants.
There is a light house off the beach in Crescent City you can walk around, if you catch low tide you can walk to it, at high tide you'd have to swim out there.
Jedidiah Smith State park is a couple miles, but a short 5 minute ride through the "Redwoods" on the highway. You can park and hike if you want, but to ride through them takes, literally 5 minutes. To really see Redwoods, go to the Avenue of the Giants, take the Lost Coast ride. (below)
The area is full of great gravel and blacktop riding, Hwy 199 to Medford is nice, but traffic can be heavy, with occasional passing lanes. Hwy 199 South to 299 or 36 is terrific, Hwy 96 along the Klamath River is awesome, If you're willing to ride longer, google Sawyers Bar, Forks of Salmon, Cecilville, Hwy 3 Trinity Alps over Scott Mountain, plenty of great riding out here. Oh ! And google California Lost Coast. A bit over 300 mile round trip, you'll get to the Lost Coast of California, and can enjoy the Avenue of the Giants. Don't miss it.
There is no Suzuki dealer anywhere near us, The Medford, Or. shop closed back in the 07/08 economy bust, our Grants Pass, Or. shop closed recently with the owner's health problems. Medford does have a Honda dealer, BMW dealer and a Yamaha dealer. There is a Cyclegear store in Medford Oregon (not a big city here either) I'm about 110 miles inland from Crescent City. Anyone having mechanical problems, we could get your bike to my garage, I have tools and a bike lift and would offer any help I can. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I'll watch, and hand you tools, LOL.

I don't ride a lot of gravel or dirt, but can share some ideas on terrific paved routes. The traffic in summer is often a problem with limited passing lanes and lots of motor homes and trailers on the road. Some of these roads are steep dropoffs with no guard rails. Sawyers Bar, Fork of the Salmon are blacktop but not two lanes wide, it's shared with cars, and care is needed going into the many corners, a car might be right in the middle of the road, with a cliff on your side going down 100 feet to the river. Bald Hills Road is mostly blacktop, with about 6 miles of good gravel at the highest elevation.

Bear Camp Road
Oregon's Bear Camp Road: Friend or Foe (soundrider.com)

Lost Coast

Bald Hills Road, Happy Camp, Obrien, Crescent City (road from Happy Camp to Obrien was closed, fire last year)

Trinity Alps, hwy 299, etc

Hwy 36, as good as it gets

and many more around here. This ought to be fun.
So you’re saying it’s a good spot. Just to be clear there are maps of the surrounding roads available at the KOA or the visitors center which show paved and unpaved routes. Check post #1.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Absolutely. The N Cal, Oregon coast is beautiful, Hwy 101 is great riding up or down the coast. Going inland will be dryer and warmer with terrific riding through river valleys and mountain passes. There's usually plenty of fuel, food, and coffee stops.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last summer when I came up to scope out the area 101 was being repaired south of town I hope they got that finished.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts