StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been very active on the forum the last few years with other things getting in the way of extensive riding on Big Red, my 2006 DL 1000. But I met a guy from British Columbia, Canada who runs a bike competitively at Bonneville and I will be crewing for him in August. So while I'm there, I figure I might as well run the 'Strom and see what she'll do. I'm not racing, just Run Watcha Brung entry. So how fast will your DL 1000 go? I can just get to 138 mph at the local road course, called The Ridge. They had a superbike race there a couple weeks ago. I use a well-tuned speedo healer and I have a restriction eliminator. My old girl has had some work done, so it should be faster than average. My friend says you lose about 15% at the flats due to altitude (3700'), heat and the salt surface. I'm shooting for 130 there, as she's still accelerating at 138 here at 500' above sea level.

Years ago, it was at least suspected that a Strom would have a speed wobble (tank slapper) over about 125. I have a fork brace and the bike is lowered about 1.5" front and back. That may account for it not wobbling hard on the brakes in the 130s. Do you have any experience with a high speed serious wobble on your Strom?

Any ideas on how to go fast in a straight line? Big Red has a lower fairing, lowered a little, no rear footpeg mounts, aftermarket mufflers, which could come off, new stock air filter in place of my old K&N, I'm replacing the seat for the events (I get two runs) with a very low one made out of foam, I'll run 40PSI in the front and 45 in the rear, either no wind screen or a very low one. No brush guards on the handle bars. It was dyno'd a few years ago to optimize the mixture with my Power Commander. Your ideas are welcome and encouraged.

·
Registered
804 Posts
That's cool. I may wear my Bonneville T-shirt today after reading.
I know that my first gen 650 can get a wobble at higher speeds, especially if loaded heavy in the rear. Thinking of dropping the triple tree 1/2" and see if that helps. I have a fork brace but bike has been lowered in the rear.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jathkajoe: The result was that both the car races and the motorcycle trials were cancelled due to excess rain. There were inches of standing water in places. So now we're waiting until next year. Thanks for your interest.
Ratbikerandy: Mine is lowered front and rear, a little over an inch. I have a short inseam and felt more comfortable stopping on uneven surfaces with it lowered. That's a handicap on track days and way too much work to undo the lowering for a track day and then lowering it again afterwards. I have a fork brace too. I've never had a high speed wobble, thank goodness. I can do 138 in the straight stretch at the local track and then have to clamp on the brakes for the corner at the end and it's always been stable, even with 70,000 miles on the bike. I've never tried to see how fast it would go for fear of that wobble showing up at some point.
Charlie1982: Yes, I have the lower fairings. I got them used, somewhere around 2010. Had them painted to match and also had a couple other pieces painted to clean up the look some. Text me your cell number or give me a call and I'll send you a photo. I don't know how to post photos. My number is 360 271-9731. ( I don't mind putting my number out there because I'm a retired real estate agent and had my number on signs all over the place and all over the internet. It's no secret.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts