StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650xt
13 Posts
I agree that's a very nice color scheme. I wish they would have had it last year when I bought mine.(y):cool:

·
Premium Member
2021 650 Adventure
59 Posts
That's sharp, but I'm really drawn to the 2021 yellow/black with gold wheels. It's a sexy bumblebee. :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
That's sharp, but I'm really drawn to the 2021 yellow/black with gold wheels. It's a sexy bumblebee. :)
+1 on 🐝🐝🐝...the Golden rims are like finest jewellery 💛

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Cloud

Reactions: bwilliamsky

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I was hoppin' mad when I saw the 2022, cuz it's gorgeous, and I just bought a '21 XT-A less than a month ago, despite being decidedly annoyed by the gold rims. Everyone but me seems to like them, but definitely not my thing. I'm working very hard to coat them with road grime and chain lube as quickly as possible. :devilish:

Reactions: Glidedon

·
Registered
2020 V-Strom 650xt
13 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

This is mine with the gold rims! I am ok with them, but I still like that blue a hole lot more. However I just got all the flarkling done as to my liking. :unsure::whistle:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why Suzuki's official photo of the 2022 DL650 XT Adventure shows a bike shod with decidedly street-oriented tires?

I feel like if you're going to put 'Adventure' in the name, the least you could do is show it with 70/30 rubber.

Reactions: Damirio

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why Suzuki's official photo of the 2022 DL650 XT Adventure shows a bike shod with decidedly street-oriented tires?
What, you don't think trying to traverse a muddy, rocky single track with street tires sounds like an adventure? :cool:

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
I prefer the Gold rims to the blue. If given a choice, black rims with silver spokes is my preferred wheel color combination.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I feel like if you're going to put 'Adventure' in the name, the least you could do is show it with 70/30 rubber.

You can have an adventure in a car and never go off road. I would like to do the four corners and would consider that an Adventure. Hell, I even went to Key West a few years ago and thought that was an Adventure. Most (not all) V-Strom's and Versy's never see off road and Suzuki and Kawi know that. Their street bikes with a tall upright Adventure style comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was hoppin' mad when I saw the 2022, cuz it's gorgeous, and I just bought a '21 XT-A less than a month ago, despite being decidedly annoyed by the gold rims. Everyone but me seems to like them, but definitely not my thing. I'm working very hard to coat them with road grime and chain lube as quickly as possible. :devilish:

That's funny how we are all different!! I'm just the opposite of you. Love the gold wheels but don't like the 2021 blue on yellow paint.

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
The Bridgestone A41 tires are actually VERY capable tire that is incredibly well optimized for 85% pavement riding. It is an excellent road tire. Quick steering, sticks like a sport tire, excellent in wet weather. Very smooth and quiet, and lasts a long time. On light dirt roads they work just as well. In well groomed dirt/gravel/sandy forest roads, they do really well. I've taken them on such roads and as long as I keep the TC on, the tires behaved very well. The A41's only start to become a liability when the surface gets softer and deeper. Most people who own VStrom's normally won't go into those environments on a regular basis. And if they do, owners will usually swap out the A41's. I believe these tires come standard on the Africa Twin and BMW's as well.

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
You can have an adventure in a car and never go off road. I would like to do the four corners and would consider that an Adventure. Hell, I even went to Key West a few years ago and thought that was an Adventure. Most (not all) V-Strom's and Versy's never see off road and Suzuki and Kawi know that. Their street bikes with a tall upright Adventure style comfortable riding position.
I agree with you 100%. An Adventure ride can be any ride that takes you to new places, or places you normally won't see or do. It doesn't have to be unpaved. Of course places without pavement is even more of an adventure. Even if all you do is ride 500 feet onto a dirt or gravel embankment to go see a viewpoint that people on street bikes can't because of their limitations, that added capability makes an Adventure bike worthwhile.

I've been riding sport bikes for many years. And ever since I switched to Adventure bikes, I've been able to access and see places I normally would never go on my sport bike because the surface was too rough. I tried doing even broken pavement rides on my street bike and they just don't do well. I ended up damaging exhaust systems, lower plastics, radiators, etc. They run out of suspension travel very quickly. It's the same thing as driving a sports car on an unmaintained road...yeah something is going to break for sure!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I agree with you 100%. An Adventure ride can be any ride that takes you to new places, or places you normally won't see or do. It doesn't have to be unpaved. Of course places without pavement is even more of an adventure. Even if all you do is ride 500 feet onto a dirt or gravel embankment to go see a viewpoint that people on street bikes can't because of their limitations, that added capability makes an Adventure bike worthwhile.

I've been riding sport bikes for many years. And ever since I switched to Adventure bikes, I've been able to access and see places I normally would never go on my sport bike because the surface was too rough. I tried doing even broken pavement rides on my street bike and they just don't do well. I ended up damaging exhaust systems, lower plastics, radiators, etc. They run out of suspension travel very quickly. It's the same thing as driving a sports car on an unmaintained road...yeah something is going to break for sure!
I agree, I was also street only until I picked up my 650xa last Aug, it's so nice to go for a ride and then you see a gravel road and just jump on it to explore the places you've never been before, it's that versatility and flexibility to do "either - or"

Many times I am on my FJR and have to make sure I don't get carried away and end up on gravel with the wrong bike 😂

Reactions: OCL

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
Many times I am on my FJR and have to make sure I don't get carried away and end up on gravel with the wrong bike 😂
I have a sport touring street bike as well (Ninja 1000 SX I believe is the universal name for them). I love this bike but.....hardly gets ridden. Before I had my VStrom 650 XT, I had an adventure-modified DR650, and I rode that bike more than the Ninja. Yeah it was slower, pillow for suspension, barely adequate brakes, a board for a seat, lots of thumper vibration, lots of wind blast, yet I rode that bike way more. I had to stop myself from riding it so as not to put so many miles on it! But man! I was able to go places and see the great outdoors up close and personal (not just at a roadside turnoff full of other gawking tourists). I'd end up in places where it was just me, the wind, the birds....I loved it. Doing the same thing with my VStrom now but with more comfort.

Adventure Riding: I get it now.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yup, if you are lucky enough to live in a great country, with unspoiled nature and vista's, ADV bike like a Vstrom 650 (or other) is a must, it will take you places you would never go otherwise. Aparently only 20% of the world roads are paved.
Just like having a boat if living by the ocean or another body of water, you have to take advantage of the situation to get the most enjoyment out of it.
Tire Wheel Plant Cloud Sky

Tire Sky Wheel Plant Vehicle

Tire Plant Water Water resources Wheel

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Yup, if you are lucky enough to live in a great country, with unspoiled nature and vista's, ADV bike like a Vstrom 650 (or other) is a must, it will take you places you would never go otherwise. Aparently only 20% of the world roads are paved.
Just like having a boat if living by the ocean or another body of water, you have to take advantage of the situation to get the most enjoyment out of it.
View attachment 291888
View attachment 291890
View attachment 291891
Warning: Threadjack ahead!

Those are great pics. As a guy who rides off pavement gently and carefully, I often wonder about situations like your bottom photo. Do you:

a) walk it first to see what's at the bottom of that pool,
b) let your riding buddy go first,
c) barrel on through because you know the road, or
d) live dangerously? :cool:

I always imagine the drama of hitting a concealed melon-sized rock or surprise deep hole in a pool like that. Then again, I don't usually swim where I can't see the bottom, and I've never replaced a set of tires which did not still have chicken strips on them .... so my questions are just that.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Warning: Threadjack ahead!

Those are great pics. As a guy who rides off pavement gently and carefully, I often wonder about situations like your bottom photo. Do you:

a) walk it first to see what's at the bottom of that pool,
b) let your riding buddy go first,
c) barrel on through because you know the road, or
d) live dangerously? :cool:

I always imagine the drama of hitting a concealed melon-sized rock or surprise deep hole in a pool like that. Then again, I don't usually swim where I can't see the bottom, and I've never replaced a set of tires which did not still have chicken strips on them .... so my questions are just that.
Thank you!
Gently and carefully is me as well. Picked up my strom last Aug, my first bike that will go on gravel, so I am honing my "off road" skills by trial and error (avoiding errors so far)
I ride alone, making everything a pure ADV, in this case of water crossing, I park the bike, assess the water and rocks and then setup my phone to film video and do a couple of crossings. If the water is not clear and don't risk it, cause like you said a melon size rock can be hiding in there 😬

In pictures below there were some dirt bikers in the area, trying to show me the right path to cross some water, but it was beyond my comfort level, didn't feel like sinking my new bike 😂

Every now and then I venture into some single trails where kids on dirt bikes are looking at me and scratching their heads, wondering; "what is this crazy guy doing here with that heavy bike?"
😉 ahh .... all the fun we can get.

Plant Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Land lot

Plant Plant community Water Tree Road surface
Plant Plant community Tree Asphalt Sky

Instead I picked the "yellow arrow path", through the trees 🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Tree Groundcover

Reactions: bwilliamsky

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
Damirio you show off!!! LOL! Beautiful countryside indeed.

I have to do better at taking pictures like you. I'll try to do a video this weekend. The scenery will not be as good as yours but....I am good at creative editing.

BTW, NEVER listen to dirtbikers or Enduro riders. When they say, Oh that there's easy just take this line or go left.....don't. It's a trap. They know not what they say and their normal rules don't normally apply to Adventure Bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Thank you!
Gently and carefully is me as well. Picked up my strom last Aug, my first bike that will go on gravel, so I am honing my "off road" skills by trial and error (avoiding errors so far)
I ride alone, making everything a pure ADV, in this case of water crossing, I park the bike, assess the water and rocks and then setup my phone to film video and do a couple of crossings. If the water is not clear and don't risk it, cause like you said a melon size rock can be hiding in there 😬

In pictures below there were some dirt bikers in the area, trying to show me the right path to cross some water, but it was beyond my comfort level, didn't feel like sinking my new bike 😂

Every now and then I venture into some single trails where kids on dirt bikes are looking at me and scratching their heads, wondering; "what is this crazy guy doing here with that heavy bike?"
😉 ahh .... all the fun we can get.

View attachment 291901
View attachment 291902 View attachment 291903

Instead I picked the "yellow arrow path", through the trees 🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

View attachment 291904
Oh, man. I am so not worthy! :oops:

That woulda been me too, up in among the trees! At least they're all visible and not moving ...

Reactions: Damirio
1 - 20 of 25 Posts