StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my new 2021 650xt this afternoon and I was wondering if it had a slipper clutch. I can't find an answer anywhere online, which makes me think it doesn't. That would be a shame because it is such a standard thing on newer motorcycles.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slipper clutches are for badly coordinated and/or lazy riders 🙄🙄😉
While that may be true, as a new rider that has logged a total of 26 miles on my bike, I might find it helpful. Very few of us start off with the skills and coordination of Valentino Rossi. Mad props to you for being the exception. I should probably disconnect my ABS and traction control too, so I don't get too lazy. 🤨

·
Registered
912 Posts
Larger CC bikes benefit more from a slipper clutch as they are particularly helpful on higher displacement bikes where the engine braking force is massive and may cause the motorcycle to lose traction on the rear tire and go out of control, especially on a low traction surface, On "smaller" displacement machines the benefits are not as great, especially for those who ride smoothly and don't do sudden throttle closures and downshifts. I have never missed having a slipper clutch on my Wee. Now, I did have a 650 single off road machine that when ridding on dirt you had to be mindful of making rapid downshifts with a shut throttle as you could lose traction on the rear wheel. But, I have never had this experience on the Wee with its smaller cylinders. But, after years of riding and off road racing I probably have developed certain habits in how I deal with such things.

Reactions: Philbytx

·
Registered
V-Strom 650 XT 2021 Euro5, Yamaha 2007 XMax 250 Euro3
153 Posts
I have a M1 Italian market, 600k on the clock (can drive fare with covid)
Clutch is lovely easy
A bit of push on first gear when starting the engine up, but that's apparently normaly.

Envoyé de mon CMR-AL09 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Slipper clutches are for badly coordinated and/or lazy riders 🙄🙄😉
I'm so lazy that I swapped a slipper from a 2016+ FJR into my 2007. Really lightens up the clutch pull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2 previous bikes were newer Honda's with slipper clutch standard. When I needed to push them around the garage (engine off), it didn't matter what gear they were in; as long as I engaged the clutch the bike (rear tire) moved freely with little effort. With my new V-Strom 650 I notice a significant difference in resistance pushing it around the garage if it in 1st gear as opposed to neutral, even if I have the clutch engaged. Maybe I am being a newb, but I swear my old bikes were easy to push regardless of gear as long as I held the clutch. Is this because the V-strom doesn't have the slipper clutch or am I just mental?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts