StromTrooper banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Still planning on coming and taking the whole week, missed the T-shirt deadline but I'll live. I STILL need to sign up and I will.
I did have a possible timing issue with work pop up yesterday, so hopefully that doesn't interfere.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
As far as Rates at the Iron Horse.......I did just get a confirmation on Tent Camping.
Their rates are $25 per night (add $8 per night if two people in a tent).........plus a $15.75 per night Lodging Fee......no Taxes. So "yes".........tent camping is now $40.75 per night. The Lodging Fee is new for 2021 and applies to every Reservation made "I believe" (not 100% sure)......whether tent camping, covered wagons, cabin, room, bunkhouse, etc.
"YES" their rates have increased (significantly), but we are still getting the same Million-Dollar Venue with good food and great accomodations.......next to some of the best riding roads in Eastern America. Remember, they have spent more $$$ on the complex since 2018 with added covered bike parking, the Covered Wagons, additional Private Cabins (altho very expensive), extended operating months (in the Fall), Live Music (scheduled), better Wi-Fi (I am told) and other enhancements..........some of which, we Vstrommers, could care less about. But they are a business that cater to different "levels" of clientel.....not just low-budget groups like us. Whether you agree or not, COVID has changed the way we live........people want to get outside and "Play", whether it be Boating, Motorcycling, RV'ing, Biking, etc.........some areas of recreation are BOOMING due to COVID. It's all Supply & Demand in the business world.
The discussion to move the Venue for next year comes up at every rally we have. If you have a desire to have it somewhere else (due to costs, or whatever), PLEASE bring possible venues to the rally in 4 weeks for our nightly meetings........not just complaints. Do your homework on the possibilities, being able to give detailed information on location, food, housing, costs, riding areas, etc.

This is YOUR rally, it does not belong to mark444, Stalky Tracker, Prowler or anyone else volunteering to help "run it" (used loosely!!).........you Vstrommers are the Board of Directors.....and ultimately control its Destiny.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Personally the price change doesn't bother me. If I'm that worried about a few extra bucks for a trip I have once a year, then I'm either just really cheap or have weird priorities lol. I very much enjoy the ironhorse. They have great accommodations, great people, and are in a wonderful location. Plus they can support the number of us that come every year.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a new location but I will be legitimately surprised if we can find this good of a.. package.. considering everything it offers (price aside).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hendrik...........I will pay your Resort Fee if you come to the Rally. I guarantee you a Good Time. (y)
All of you with cost issues, there are plenty of other places to stay in the area. Robinsville, etc for cabins, rooms or camping. The venue for the Rally activities is the IronHorse but you are free to find other accommodations. This event is just a do not miss it event. No one cares where you stay just join us for the listed activities and enjoy the Rally with us all. I have weighed all the positive and negative options for the lodging and at this point the IronHorse still wins. As Mark444 indicated in a previous post "we are always looking for a better place for this event". Its all about the riding and people not about the place. We have even discussed other states but we never have found a place to offer what is in this area and at the IronHorse. This is the Eastern V-Strom Rally after all. See you all in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2013 650
49 Posts
So $40 gets me tucked away from the tourists in cages, camping in a safe place where I don’t have to worry about my tent getting ransacked while I’m out riding, a clean bathroom and shower, amazing food, covered parking, and a building with room for everyone to be comfortable in case of extreme weather.

Yeah that’s totally worth it. I’m not happy about it but it’s worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Anybody want to spit a campsite? I'm Hammocking..............hammock King...lol

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I am fine with the Ironhorse. With the way the Trooper Rally is run, IH is the perfect place to easily pull it off.

I know other places close by that are fine for camping. However, I would rather walk to my tent than try to find it on a bike, after dark, someplace else.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,559 Posts
I won't be staying at the Ironhorse...ever again. I will pay a fair price for a room when it is warranted. But hiding fees, not allowing a cancelation even 6 months down the road isn't my idea of where I feel like spending my money. They have no wi-fi and limited food options. Yes, the facilities are nice. The improvements are there to appease a slightly different crowd. Fine. Next up will be a fee to put on the rally at their facility.
Fontana Village Resort is right down the road. MUCH nicer place to stay and have a rally. It may be that the cost isn't so different now! There is tent camping with showers. Nice rooms you can reserve for the meetings and BS sessions.

https://fontanavillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Banquets-Menus-2018-1.pdf

If I were a younger man I would be taking a look at this for us...that and being 1000 miles away makes it hard to do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I won't be staying at the Ironhorse...ever again. I will pay a fair price for a room when it is warranted. But hiding fees, not allowing a cancelation even 6 months down the road isn't my idea of where I feel like spending my money. They have no wi-fi and limited food options. Yes, the facilities are nice. The improvements are there to appease a slightly different crowd. Fine. Next up will be a fee to put on the rally at their facility.
Fontana Village Resort is right down the road. MUCH nicer place to stay and have a rally. It may be that the cost isn't so different now! There is tent camping with showers. Nice rooms you can reserve for the meetings and BS sessions.

https://fontanavillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Banquets-Menus-2018-1.pdf

If I were a younger man I would be taking a look at this for us...that and being 1000 miles away makes it hard to do.
I'll make a special note to stop by fontana village, see what they have to offer, talk to the folks, etc. The location isn't much different than the ironhorse; I pass it at least a few times every time I come to the rally. But I've never actually rode in there.

I'll try to stop by it on Thursday on my way in so we can talk about it at our meetings any evening.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK, I guess I'm just being cheap See you all there. I will be riding in from Blue Ridge Ga. I have a great big bike-friendly dirt route on the way if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
249 Posts
For certain sectors of the economy the so called pandemic has been an incredible opportunity to increase their take. New owners must be from Vegas. Well I have had enough of Vegas, but I still hope to visit the Ironhorse for this year's rally at least. Got to visit an old friend in Ohio first though. Ride safe everyone.

Reactions: happy hooker

·
Registered
32 Posts
My plan is to ride up to Tellico plains pick up the old river road and make my way to Robinsvlle on FS. road 81 to Joyce Kelmer state forest

·
Registered
716 Posts
Who else is going to be there the 19th? I should arrive around 2ish or so. Going to meander up Moonshiners to IH. Can't wait!

Reactions: happy hooker
161 - 180 of 204 Posts