StromTrooper banner

221 - 240 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
The "fuel shortage" is partly (mainly??) to blame due to greedy motorists........racing to the pumps with 4-8 5-gallon containers to stockpile the fuel. For what?? Some analysts are predicting the fuel supply to stations will be "back to normal" within a week.........unless this reckless hoarding continues.

But gas stations are dealing with what researchers in behavioral economics and neuroscience have labeled “the scarcity mind-set,” said Camelia M. Kuhnen, professor of finance at the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina.
“When some resource is scarce, even just in the short term, people tend to get tunnel vision and fixate on how they can get more of that specific resource,” she said. “Basically, the brain focuses on solving very narrowly the problem of ‘how do I get more of the thing that is scarce?’"
Kuhnen said that for motorists in North Carolina and other states experiencing shortages, “the broader picture that is not seen by people lining up for gas for hours is that in a couple of days, the supply is expected to be restored close to normal levels. This scarcity problem will go away, and in a week’s time, we won’t even think about it anymore.”
Gas Buddy is indicating no real outages in that area except for Diesel fuel in some spots. Unless you run diesel in your bike you should be ok.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got enough gas right now for a full tank and a couple of fuel bottles. Enough to get me there. I'm sure it won't be an issue by Monday. Nothing is stopping me either way.

Reactions: happy hooker

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, looks like this will blow over...I sure am glad gas is heavier and more difficult to hoard than toilet paper. If I run out of gas I will switch to running off of moonshine until I forget I am out of gas at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 DL1000A (Current)
105 Posts
Yeah, looks like this will blow over...I sure am glad gas is heavier and more difficult to hoard than toilet paper. If I run out of gas I will switch to running off of moonshine until I forget I am out of gas at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apple pie moonshine smells best out of the exhaust pipe of a DL650

·
Registered
369 Posts
Leaving Saturday for Tellico one night then up the BR Pkwy into Virginia then back to Stecoah. Gonna have to head home Saturday (a work trip came up). Still 7 days on the bike - Hallelujah!!

·
Registered
2014 Vstrom 1000 (now deceased), 2014 Honda CB1100, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
12 Posts
Whelp, hate that your ride got wrecked but glad to meet your cb1100!
I got a replacement for the V! it's not a new V, like i said, but i got a replacement. So I'll be bringing that instead. I promise to bring lots of pictures of my beloved CB though.

Now i just need to get a full itinerary together and get on the road Sunday morning. Have to get my guest at the asheville airport on sunday and get settled into our Airbnb in Bryson City.

Can anybody direct me to a thread or post detailing what any early arrivers might be up to on the days leading up to the rally? I've got a few solo activites to pursue but I want to see what everybody else is doing first, and then invite myself shamelessly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everybody, reading the conversations, i can feel the excitement.
I am riding down from Michigan on Wednesday, yes a day ahead.
hopefully will not have to kill for Gas! <pun intended>
looking forward to meeting like minded people.
if anyone wants to tag along, then please reach out to me : Prathap :248 843 3626

I am assuming its too late for T shirt? if not, my size is large.
cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
I got a replacement for the V! it's not a new V, like i said, but i got a replacement. So I'll be bringing that instead. I promise to bring lots of pictures of my beloved CB though.

Now i just need to get a full itinerary together and get on the road Sunday morning. Have to get my guest at the asheville airport on sunday and get settled into our Airbnb in Bryson City.

Can anybody direct me to a thread or post detailing what any early arrivers might be up to on the days leading up to the rally? I've got a few solo activites to pursue but I want to see what everybody else is doing first, and then invite myself shamelessly.
Try easternvstromrally.com for an itinerary of events. Nothing really starts until Thursday the 20th but some of us will be there earlier. I will be doing some gravel with a friend in the days proceeding the Rally. There are many, many places to go and things to see in the area. Tellico Plains is a great spot to visit.

·
Registered
2013 650
65 Posts
[
Can anybody direct me to a thread or post detailing what any early arrivers might be up to on the days leading up to the rally?
I plan to arrive late Monday or early Tuesday. I will be going back up Clingmans Dome at some point. Other than that no real plans, just wandering around. Anyone is welcome to join as long as they don’t mind not speed racing. Dirt is ok with me and I don’t care where I go.

Anyone is welcome to message me and get my number or find me camping at the iron horse. I wear a Grateful Dead steal your face hat.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
I am Tent Camping, no Menu yet as of Sunday........will send the Iron Horse an email tomorrow if a menu not received by then, no worries. Without jinxing us, the weather temps look to be in the 50's at night, and low 80's during the day.........nearly PERFECT!!!
The Registration (used "loosely"!!!) Booth outside, should Open for Business starting Thursday after Breakfast. Come by to: Sign-in that you have arrived, fill out a Door Prize ticket, pay-for/pick-up your Rally Tshirt if you ordered one ($12 each, correct cash appreciated), sign-up for the Slow Speed Race ($50 cash + Trophy = First Place, $20 cash for second Place), pick-up your 2021 Rally Sticker (compliments of Buck83) + Rally Keychains & Free Earplugs (compliments of Stalky Tracker), and scour the Swap Meet Tables for Vstrom parts/farkles/gear at "unheard of" prices!!
Here is the Schedule for the weekend (Stalking Tracker has placed Word + pdf files of it on the Rally Website......the guy literally thinks of everything!!!):

2021 Schedule

Thursday

AM
9:00AM??.... Welcome / Registration table open

PM
12:00 – 6:00 Welcome / Registration table open
12:00 – 6:00 2nd Annual Eastern V-Strom Rally Swap Meet open
7:00 – 9:00 Dinner (Lodge)
8:30 – 9:30 Rally Announcements, Planning, & Door Prizes (Lodge upstairs)
9:30 – ?? Group ride planning sessions (Lodge map counter & upstairs)
9:30 – ?? Fire side chats, Bench Racing, Liars Club (Fire Pit & Back Porch)

Friday
AM

7:00 – 9:00 Breakfast (Lodge, coffee 6:30ish)
8:00 – 9:00 Group Rides & Riders, depart at your leisure
8:30 –12:00 Welcome / Registration table open
8:30 –12:00 2nd Annual Eastern V-Strom Rally Swap Meet open
PM
7:00 – 9:00 Dinner (Lodge)
8:30 – 9:30 Rally Announcements, 2021 Rally Discussion, & Door Prizes (Lodge upstairs)
9:30 – ?? Group ride planning sessions (Lodge map counter & upstairs)

Saturday
AM

8:30 – 8:45 Rally Group photo (line up in front of Lodge - be prompt)
8:45 – 9:00 Group Rides & Riders, depart at your leisure
8:45 –12:00 Welcome / Registration table open
8:45 –12:00 2nd Annual Eastern V-Strom Rally Swap Meet open
PM
4:30 – 6:00 Slow Speed Race (in front of the Lodge)
7:00 – 9:00 Dinner (Lodge - Prime Rib!!!)
8:30 – 9:30 SS Race Winners Announced, 2021 Rally Discussion, & Door Prizes (Lodge upstairs)

Sunday
AM

8:30 –11:00 Check out
9:30 –10:00 Sunday Church Service (Chapel Room) by The Iron Horse

Notes

2022 Eastern V-Strom Rally dates - to be announced at the Rally
(You can reserve your room/bunkhouse/cabin for 2022 before departing)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Leaving Wed afternoon and going to stay on mainly backroads/take it easy, so looks like we won't be there till Fri morning.
Anyone have any scenic southbound routes around the VA/WV border they'd wanna share?

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Terk...........you might "ping" Towre2 (Mickey Tyler)..........he lives in Virginia and is a "real rider"........going out West alot to ride, etc. I'm sure he knows the roads around Va/WV.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
With 85 attendees this year, tent camping spots might be at a Premium...........

IH Camping 1.jpg

I got my spot already picked out............... o_O
Just kidding.......the IH has NEVER run out of tent camping spots as long as I can remember (my first rally was 2010). Now trees for you Hammock-nesters might be at a premium.........there are at least a dozen (maybe??), but I am not sure how close together they are paired?? Maybe we could suggest to the IH, in the future (during their off-season) they install 4" x 4" Posts with hooks at the top, about X ft apart sporatically thru the tent camping area??

221 - 240 of 334 Posts