StromTrooper banner

181 - 200 of 204 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Here is the Roster as of today (according to the Rally Website).......I expect it to grow AT LEAST another dozen names by May 20th.........
(appears the Florida Chapter is leading the pack this year with largest number of attendees??)

1. mark444 - Alabama
2. Stalky Tracker - Wisconsin
3. Prowler - Kentucky
4. Bill C - South Carolina
5. Happy Hooker - Alabama
6. imrick64 - North Carolina
7. Korny - Florida
8. Simplemindedjohn - New Hampshire
9. Brickmouse13 - Georgia
10. GarmanJ - North Carolina
11. Mrs GarmanJ - North Carolina
12. EMTintruder - Kentucky
13. DSRider650 - Florida
14. strom lurker - South Carolina
15. Terk - New York
16. Terk's Bud 1 - New York
17. Terk's Bud 2 - New York
18. Continental_Drifter - Florida
19. Chase - North Carolina
20. STCorndog - Kentucky
21. Inpitt/Mac50 - Pennsylvania
22. Skew - Virginia
23. mark2wheeler - Illinois
24. terryj - Ohio
25. marylu - Ohio
26. Alex - Ohio
27. KevinTee - Missouri
28. Prathap - Michigan
29. Clydesdale - Tennessee
30. David DoubleEX - Alabama
31. woodie - Tennessee
32. Onetrack - Michigan
33. Chivito - Alabama
34. RatBikeRandy - Georgia
35. Stein - Kentucky
36. Clem - Ohio
37. Buck83 - Illinois
38. Mrs Buck83 - Illinois
39. omgyourrsexy - Tennessee
40. towre2 - Virginia
41. Sherri - South Carolina
42. BumbleV - Illinois
43. branthopolis - Tennessee
44. Tammie - Indiana
45. Fugio - South Carolina
46. WayneG - Indiana
47. WayneG's grandson - Indiana
48. Kitesurfer - Florida (tentative)
49. Mrs Kitesurfer - Florida (tentative)
50. ag_streak - Georgia
51. Callan - New Hampshire
52. RedAnt - New Hampshire
53. Skiman10000 - New Hampshire
54. Flanker - New Hampshire
55. Repoman - North Carolina
56. Skidog - Wisconsin
57. Skeeter190 - North Carolina
58. LesHeight - Florida
59. Aleksandr - Florida
60. Mullerjd - New York
61. Mrs Mullerjd - New York
62. Falconfan2 - Georgia
63. McKsti2 - Georgia
64. Motorsickle - Massachusetts
65. Misterprofessionality - South Carolina
66. Ddastromtrooper - Florida
67. T-Strom64+ - Tennessee
68. Bulitt - Florida
69. Moto Dutch - Georgia
70. Topflite22! - Florida
71. Gaff - North Carolina
72. Lynn - Kentucky
73. Atticus - Tennessee
74. Nighthawk Warrior - Georgia
75. RealShelby - Texas
76. Soarfinger - Georgia
77. SunCoastStrom - Florida

For First-timers, Bill C. (#4) was one of the original "12 Disciples" back in 2002 at THE FIRST Vstrom RALLY here in the Southeast. 2002 was the first year of production for the DL1000.....two years later (2004) came the DL650. Bill is Larger than Life and has story after story of his Vstrom escapades........all the way to Alaska and back (twice, I believe?)........and is a hoot to be around. (Bill is the sixth person from the left in the pic below)

1004.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow. Didn't know about the resort fee but will suck it up for this year. I have the whole week and had considered staying there all week, but will not be doing that now. Other MC campgrounds have small cabins in the $50 range and I don't have to set up a tent.

I did camp at Iron Horse last July and there was good wi-fi in the tent camping area. Cost at the time was $20 tent plus meals which is not a bad deal.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I should be pulling in Wednesday sometime.......guessing around noonish. Princess Pamela wants her annual rally Krispy Kremes..........👰

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
My plan is to ride up to Tellico plains pick up the old river road and make my way to Robinsvlle on FS. road 81 to Joyce Kelmer state forest
I have ridden in that area, like it...might meet ya there. We did Trail 82 on DL's...it was fun but I don't want to do it again....lol!

·
Registered
87 Posts
We're at 78 at least, my coworker (and friend, I guess :p) is coming. Planning on getting in late afternoon Thursday. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: strom lurker

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Who else is going to be there the 19th? I should arrive around 2ish or so. Going to meander up Moonshiners to IH. Can't wait!
I will be there Wednesday myself. Not sure when, but usually around 2-4pm range. Look for the red Tenere, I won't be too far from it.

The weather is always the best on Thursday in the Smoky's for some reason. I have yet to get wet on a Thursday.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
There is an intangible about IH that is hard to put a value on. I go there solo or with 1 or 2 others at least once a year after the Trooper Rally. I have never failed to meet good people at IH that are easy to approach and converse with. Motorcycle people are the best. The fire pit is worth a bunch to me. The facility layout is nice. I usually just grab a bunkhouse room or tent camp anyway since all my hanging out is up at the lodge.

If I was voting today I would still cast my vote for IH.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We're at 78 at least, my coworker (and friend, I guess :p) is coming. Planning on getting in late afternoon Thursday. Looking forward to it!
I will have some pointed questions directed both your way!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any advice on what sleeping bag to bring for tenting it? I'm tossed up between a 40degree bag or a colder one. I know the Virginia mountains can get pretty cold at night in May but not sure about how cold it will get at the IH...

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Any advice on what sleeping bag to bring for tenting it? I'm tossed up between a 40degree bag or a colder one. I know the Virginia mountains can get pretty cold at night in May but not sure about how cold it will get at the IH...
40 degree might not cut it. If you have a colder rated bag bring it. Easier to throw it off you than shiver in a too light bag.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Night time temps look to be in the running from the low 40° F to low 50° F right now and subject to change without notice. A 40 degree bag with liner might work, but as @Motor7, it's easier to throw off than shiver.

YMMV

·
Registered
46 Posts
40 degree might not cut it. If you have a colder rated bag bring it. Easier to throw it off you than shiver in a too light bag.
Probably will. Slipped my mind but I will have the gf in the tent (an effective heater;)) so might just end up bringing two sleeping bags and merging them into one.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Received an email from The Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley, just a 45 minute jaunt from The Iron Horse. Here is what they posted:

1938 Harley UL
You may have recently seen on Drive for History that Matt just finished a 1938 Harley-Davidson UL build with a ton of unique features. Starting with a RARE original set of Vard forks, the machine features an original frame, fenders, tanks, headlight, horn, toolbox, and a set of custom bars. The engine started out life as a standard 80c.i UL and was bored and stroked to a higher displacement, along with adding oversized intake ports and a specialty set of heads modified with a KR combustion chamber. All of this makes a tall, powerful machine that's ready to take on any adventure.
To really appreciate the machine, you have to hear it run!

WtTime.jpg

I guess back in 1938, something like this is what you rode off-road to get to those fishing lakes or hunting spots........when bikers were Real Men....!!! Lots of RESPECT for those guys back then. If you are attending the Eastern Vstrom Rally, and have never been to the Museum, you really should put it on your Radar Screen to go. Expect to spend 1-2 hrs looking around inside the Museum......and Maggie Valley has lots of places to eat lunch before or after your tour. We typically form a Group Ride over to the museum leaving Friday or Saturday morning, and returning that afternoon.........easily. We don't have a Group Ride actually scheduled (or advertised) to the Museum this year, but we can get a show of hands during the Thursday/Friday Meetings of people interested in going, and all you really need is a "kickstands up" time, and a day, that the group is going.......people will show up......and you really don't need a "Leader". They give discounts for 10 or more, I believe is the number.

·
Registered
2014 Vstrom 1000 (now deceased), 2014 Honda CB1100
8 Posts
Well I was all Excited to come to this but now I can't. My Beloved Vee was backed over by a fertilizer truck last week (yea. that's not an exaggeration) and their insurance company just confirmed that it's a total loss. I said goodbye to it this afternoon and collected my license plate.

Seeing as how the used bike market is NUTS right now there's absolutely zero chance of me getting a new Vee before the rally....so what does that mean? I have my main bike, and my lodgings and the tickets for my girl are all still paid for so i'm still going to be coming up to the blue ridge mountains next week, but am I a poser if i hang out at the rally, considering i'm not actually a Vstrom owner any longer? What do?

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Florida Riders - Anyone looking for a riding partner to/fm the Rally? I’m in Jax, Looking at being on the road by 6am for a 2-3pm arrival.

181 - 200 of 204 Posts