StromTrooper banner

2021 Eastern Vstrom Rally......May 20-23, 2021

36K views 342 replies 57 participants last post by  Prowler 
#1 ·
2021 Eastern Vstrom Rally......Thursday May 20 - Sunday May 23

Feels like we just had a Rally up in NC.......hey, we did!!!! But it's time again to start planning the 19th Annual Eastern Vstrom Rally/Gathering and putting it on your radar screen. The Venue = The Iron Horse Campground/Lodge in Stecoah, NC ……...just like the previous years. We have already reserved the date with them and make note: it is the SECOND WEEKEND after Mother's Day, not the first weekend. For those who missed the 2020 October Rally, we had another wonderful time without any casulties and were treated to beautiful Fall Weather on Thursday & Friday, with Saturday being a "wash"........literally. But that to be expected in October as well as in May. Someone once said "if everything goes according to Plan, then it's not considered an Adventure". The Dining Area was totally re-arranged this year (I assume due to COVID??) but worked well IMO......with a staff member bringing your food out to you instead of standing shoulder to shoulder in lines. The Office has been remodeled as well. I believe we saw some new concrete and roof systems out front at the "hitchin posts area" and an increase in RV parking now spilling over to the back area (across the crick). The small Bunkhouse is still there, but rumors are it is being replaced in the future....not sure when tho. The three (or was it 4??) Conastoga Covered Wagons were in place and at least 1-2 were being used when we were there. They lowered the rental price to $99 per night for the wagons.

For noobs never attending this Rally before, here are a few of the highlights/facts/figures: The IH has full cabins to rent, private rooms with a dedicated bathroom/shower, semi-private cabins (2 beds in a bedroom and you share a common restroom/shower with the next room), Bunkhouses (4 beds in one large room), RV camping with full power, and Primative Camping (with a few trees for you hammock campers). Call the IH for rates. Primative camping is first come = pick your own spot....no numbered "camping spaces", just spread out where you want. There are 3-4 gravel pit spots and two have power hookups for you CPAP sleepers?? NO RESERVATIONS required for primative camping. The Food: they serve us Breakfast and Supper each night in the Dining Area of the Lodge, and I personally, think the food is Very Good. Tea & coffee provided, soft drinks can be purchased in the office or out of a machine outside. Situated in a Dry County, so pack-in your own beverages of choice. Our guys are very laid back and over-indulging in "spirits" has never been a problem with our bunch.......most of the time after supper we are gaggling over someone's bike out front showing off each's "gearhead prowess".....!!! The large common restroom/bathouse complex is one of the cleanest I have experienced in a campground......(4) private showers and (4) stalls (on the Men's Side)....not sure about the Ladies'. We have a brief meeting upstairs right after the dinner hour each evening, to discuss tomorrow's events, next year's rally, to give away door prizes, and listen to Guest Speakers and/or Technical How-To sessions. Lots of laughs and good info at these meetings.

This past October event hosted 50 riders, in May of 2019 we had 100 attend.......COVID took a chunk out of our rears but we still had a great get-together this past Fall......shows the dedication of our members!! You don't have to ride a Vstrom to attend, and we encourage you to bring a non-vstrom-riding buddy when you come. It's all about the friendships made and stories to tell later of your ride in the area. The Rally Website for 2021 Sign-ups is up and running (Thankyou "Stalky Tracker").....make sure you sign-up there so we can get a headcount. Visit the Iron Horse Website every so often to see if they add anything new and by all means, put that weekend on yer calender ......don't wait until January to make your reservations for a room.
As usual, we need volunteers to help with the Rally: speakers, topics of discussion, events??, anything to make the rally better than last years...….and previous years!! (a hard act to follow sometimes). Have a Merry Christmas, hunker-down away from COVID, enjoy the Holidays with your families.........but First and Foremost: farkle the hell out of your bike so we can see it in May....!!!!!

EASTERN V-STROM RALLY - Home

Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge & Resort - Home (ironhorsenc.com)

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Dang. It used to fall between Mother's Day and my wifes birthday.
Yeah Randy.........the first weekend after Mom's Day was already booked by another Group at the Iron Horse. If we originally had the rally back in May 2020, we probably could have beat that other group to reserving that weekend, but..........
It tells us that we all need to be dilligent about making our reservations early with the IH, and not wait around. I understand the IH has been doing really well (reservation-wise) due to COVID. They are actually staying open thru Christmas this year instead of closing at Halloween, like years past.

#10 ·
Signed up, so far...........is your name on the list?? If not, go to the rally website and send Stalky Tracker a note.You are not "committed" to come, can always pull your name off, we just like to get a head-count to see how large attendance there will be.

1. mark444 - Alabama
2. Stalky Tracker - Wisconsin
3. Prowler - Kentucky
4. Bill C - South Carolina
5. Happy Hooker - Alabama
6. imrick64 - North Carolina
7. Korny - Florida
8. Simplemindedjohn - New Hampshire
9. Brickmouse13 - Georgia
10. GarmanJ - North Carolina
11. Mrs GarmanJ - North Carolina
12. EMTintruder - Kentucky
13. DSRider650 - Florida
14. strom lurker - South Carolina
15. Terk - New York
16. Terk's Bud - New York
17. Continental_Drifter - Florida
18. Chase - North Carolina
19. ....your name goes here....... ;)

#13 ·
You could PM him, I mean start a Conversation with @Simplemindedjohn. Click on your avatar in the upper right corner of your screen next to the three dots and select conversation.

#19 ·
I missed riding last year so I am gona talk to the wife and see if I can get permission to attend this year. You guys let an old Southeast Missouri guy in on the fun? On average are there many tent campers?

I spent a few days out there a couple of years ago and that defiantly was not enough time.

Reactions: happy hooker
#22 ·
Less than (4) months away, guys..........do you think Spring Riding Weather will ever get here??!!
Info for the "new guys" that might be coming to the Rally (and most of this info is posted a few pages back already, but worth repeating maybe): tent sites are not reserved in advance, first there chooses where they pitch their tent in the grassy tenting area. No "numbered spots" like in a state park...just spread out as much as you like, the distance between you and your neighbor will depend on the number of tenting attendees......but typically, you can count on a 8'-10' minimum clear radius around your tent at this event. One single big Fire Pit right outside the lodge, with plenty of firewood and lawn chairs already provided......so no fires in the tent area. There are 3-4 gravel tents sites, and 1-2 electric sites (think CPAP machine or electric blanket??).....and a few trees for the "cocoon sleepers". The showers/bathrooms are maybe 50 yards away at the Main Lodge. Camping Area is directly next to a "trickling brook" to lull yourself to sleep.......or fall into if you partake too many beverages (has never happened that I know of)......or to help you pee in your sleeping bag at 3AM while dreaming of Slaying the Dragon......???? The options are endless......the memories you make of the rally are a blank canvas!!
C'mon May.........!!!!!!

#23 ·
Guys it is with heavy heart that I pass along the following, Dale Walksler of Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley has passed away on 2-3-2021. If you knew Dale you need no explanation as to his dedication to the preservation of vintage motorcycles and their history and his attachment to the V-Strom group.
Dale created the museum on the basis that every motorcycle in the collection would run. Dale welcomed the V-Strom group for years, often setting us up on the museum site with a shelter, watermelons etc. He always made us feel very welcome and often provided us with his long version guided tour. Dale possessed and displayed vast knowledge of every item in the very large museum, mostly because he had hands on of every item displayed. Dale could talk for hours on one single bike and more often than not would show us that it ran. Dale was a high energy guy and never slowed down even through the progression of his disease.
I know this is a bit off topic but Dale was such a great inspiration to many of us in the motorcycle world that it just seemed appropriate. Visit the Museums website for more detailed information.
Dale has added wings to his wheels this day and may he ride forever. God speed Dale
Prowler

#26 ·
Scott is going to end up at the rally a couple months early!

On a similar note, I have a room with 2 beds in one of the semi private cabins. If anyone (non-snoring) needs a room to stay in, feel free to reach out. We can split the cost.

EDIT: realized I am the 2020 thread. Will post in the 2021 thread lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#29 ·
If anyone is needing a bed to sleep in, I reserved 2 twin beds in the semi private cabin for Thurs, Fri, and Sat night. I, being the gentleman I am, only need one bed.
I'm happy to split cost with someone if they want. Need to be a non-snorer as I'll be on vacation and want to enjoy my time lol.

Feel free to message me directly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Does anyone know if they allow ezups (pop up canopy's) in the tenting area?
My current tent leaks like a sob so I normally put a ezup over it if there's any chance of rain in forecast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.