StromTrooper banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 DL-650A, 1974 CB450T
36 Posts
Nice ride! I picked one up in the same colour last fall. Local dealer had 3 demo 650's show up while I was on the hunt. I wasn't a fan of the whole black/yellow/gold look. Heated grips have changed my life ! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a brand new 2020 Vstrom 650 . It’s my fourth Vstrom since 2008. I was actually looking to buy a Yamaha Fj09 or a Fjr 1300. I didnt like the motorcycles as much as the Vstrom.
congratulations on your new 2020, what color is it? I have recently purchased a 2020 also and had a question for you. I ride 24/7 dont have any other means of transportation (wouldnot have it any other way). I previously had a 2008 650 and loved it drove it for 9 years, with my new 2020 there seems to be alot more engine heat coming from the right side of the engine than my 2008, was wondering if you experienced this also?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don’t feel any heat coming from the right side of the engine. And I give it a true test being stuck in gridlock traffic .
thanks for the reply, although now im wondering why my 2020 gets much hotter than my 2008, i know some engines are just warm blooded, i will check into it further. I hate gridlock traffic in cali you can filter, I live at the coast in nc

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
thanks for the reply, although now im wondering why my 2020 gets much hotter than my 2008, i know some engines are just warm blooded, i will check into it further. I hate gridlock traffic in cali you can filter, I live at the coast in nc

I have always said my 09 wee was the coolest water cooled bike I ever owned.

The thermostat setting on my MT09 is very high and the air flow on my V2 sends more hot air at my legs, I have to remember to keep my feet wide on the pegs so things don't warm up too much, it's hard to cool them down again when the air is hot.

·
Registered
Skids, crashbar, headlight grill guard, driving lights, puppies, fender lift, mitas dakars,
63 Posts
I bought a brand new 2020 Vstrom 650 . It’s my fourth Vstrom since 2008. I was actually looking to buy a Yamaha Fj09 or a Fjr 1300. I didnt like the motorcycles as much as the Vstrom.
With all the stroms you have owned what is the main difference with the 2020 in your opinion, this is my first strom and it is great.

·
Registered
Skids, crashbar, headlight grill guard, driving lights, puppies, fender lift, mitas dakars,
63 Posts
congratulations on your new 2020, what color is it? I have recently purchased a 2020 also and had a question for you. I ride 24/7 dont have any other means of transportation (wouldnot have it any other way). I previously had a 2008 650 and loved it drove it for 9 years, with my new 2020 there seems to be alot more engine heat coming from the right side of the engine than my 2008, was wondering if you experienced this also?
I feel heat on my right side boot also, only now that the Tex heat is above 94F. I think my skid plating redirects the heat towards my boot, but could be wrong either way feel the heat for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in Central Texas and on my 2017, with the stock plastic engine protector, I feel no heat on myself.
I had that same plastic engine protector and the V shape of it deflects the wind more towards the engine to cool it. My skid plating blocks some of the air which I believe causes me to feel some heat dissipation off the lower right side of the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be emissions related!
thanks for that i would not have thought of emissions , I miss my old 92 honda nighthawk cb 750 no emissions, air cooled beautiful simplicity,I do love this 2020 650,just not used to excessive engine heat, I have the suzuki tall seat, it is perfect and i belive it has more padding to make it a tall seat, I can ride for hours in comfort.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thanks for that i would not have thought of emissions , I miss my old 92 honda nighthawk cb 750 no emissions, air cooled beautiful simplicity,I do love this 2020 650,just not used to excessive engine heat, I have the suzuki tall seat, it is perfect and i belive it has more padding to make it a tall seat, I can ride for hours in comfort.
With emissions supposedly reduces green house gases, but makes us lose mpg which makes us buy more fuel so where is the solution?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts