StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Skids, crashbar, headlight grill guard, driving lights, puppies, fender lift, mitas dakars,
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Troopers, lately I have been starting my 2020 V on cold start and always seems like it does not get enough fuel on the closed loop. When I launch the bike and go over any rough terrain it will stumble and shut off. This seems only on that closed loop anyone else having this problem. I added some water remover to the tank see if that helps, but IK he manufacturers always use the least amount of fuel delivery for startup for emissions bs, any advice or fixes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Hi Troopers, lately I have been starting my 2020 V on cold start and always seems like it does not get enough fuel on the closed loop. When I launch the bike and go over any rough terrain it will stumble and shut off. This seems only on that closed loop anyone else having this problem. I added some water remover to the tank see if that helps, but IK he manufacturers always use the least amount of fuel delivery for startup for emissions bs, any advice or fixes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Not sure what you mean by "closed loop", but sufficiently "rough terrain" might cause the side stand to move enough to activate the side stand safety switch. Make sure the switch works as it should, that the spring is holding the stand where it should, and that your foot is not hitting the stand (not uncommon when you're standing on the pegs).

·
Registered
Skids, crashbar, headlight grill guard, driving lights, puppies, fender lift, mitas dakars,
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what you mean by "closed loop", but sufficiently "rough terrain" might cause the side stand to move enough to activate the side stand safety switch. Make sure the switch works as it should, that the spring is holding the stand where it should, and that your foot is not hitting the stand (not uncommon when you're standing on the pegs).
Thanks for advice on the kickstand sensor. Closed loop is a computer controlled start up process where the motor tries quickly to reach the optimal operating temp in order to burn the fuel with least emissions possible. Alot of times this process advances or retards timing and can cause the motor to starve for fuel.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Keeping a hand on the clutch lever while in first? Not unusual to have to slip the clutch going slow.

Also are you letting the bike warm up a bit before you "launch the bike and go over any rough terrain"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping a hand on the clutch lever while in first? Not unusual to have to slip the clutch a bit going slow.

Also are you letting the bike warm up a bit before you "launch the bike and go over any rough terrain"?
Not keeping hand on clutch when going slow, but not letting motor warm up. I didn't think that cold would make a difference with fuel injection.

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Thanks for advice on the kickstand sensor. Closed loop is a computer controlled start up process where the motor tries quickly to reach the optimal operating temp in order to burn the fuel with least emissions possible. Alot of times this process advances or retards timing and can cause the motor to starve for fuel.
Anything's possible, of course, but on these bikes, the usual suspects are electrical - usually the various interlock switches. My guess is one of them is acting up, or you're accidentally triggering one of them. Not typical on such a new bike, but hey, stuff happens.

There's a recent thread in which someone had done just that - whacked the side stand while standing on the pegs offroad, which killed the ignition.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anything's possible, of course, but on these bikes, the usual suspects are electrical - usually the various interlock switches. My guess is one of them is acting up, or you're accidentally triggering one of them. Not typical on such a new bike, but hey, stuff happens.

There's a recent thread in which someone had done just that - whacked the side stand while standing on the pegs offroad, which killed the ignition.
[/QUOTe
Hopefully just launching before warmed up, but will check that to make sure. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Put the bike in gear, try to start it without pulling in the clutch.

This will test your clutch switch.

The bike should not start, ( be warned if it does start it will move forward so best done on the centre stand)

A bad clutch switch can cause the bike to stall.

The ECU sees no load on the motor so it reduces the fuel load.

Do you have aftermarket levers on the bike ? they can cause clutch switch problems.

Reactions: Marmora

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put the bike in gear, try to start it without pulling in the clutch.

This will test your clutch switch.

The bike should not start, ( be warned if it does start it will move forward so best done on the centre stand)

A bad clutch switch can cause the bike to stall.

The ECU sees no load on the motor so it reduces the fuel load.

Do you have aftermarket levers on the bike ? they can cause clutch switch problems.
Ok on center stand and with the kick stand folded up correct?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Correct.

On the earlier bikes you did not need to select a gear to do this test but on your bike you do.

You can also do it with the stand down just as a test of the stands safety system, the bike should do nothing.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Not keeping hand on clutch when going slow, but not letting motor warm up. I didn't think that cold would make a difference with fuel injection.
Both my 650 and 1000 will bog when cold with too much throttle. Let the bike get at least a couple of bars on the temp gauge before wacking the throttle.

Me I'm always ready to slip the clutch in first. Smooths out the abrupt on and off throttle.

Reactions: Marmora

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both my 650 and 1000 will bog when cold with too much throttle. Let the bike get at least a couple of bars on the temp gauge before wacking the throttle.

Me I'm always ready to slip the clutch in first. Smooths out the abrupt on and off throttle.
I left on a trip have not been able to test bike on center stand, but my gut feeling is that it is too cold and computer cuts out the fuel just enough to shut it off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts