StromTrooper banner

1001 - 1020 of 1044 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
It sucks to think dealers already have to start discounting new models that steeply to move them. Yeah we all want to save money but I think a lot of dealers are going to go under given the restrictions.

And my local shop has a yellow bike that I checked out a couple weeks ago. Nice looking bike. I'd still get an orange one if I had my mind made up.

The stupid powers that be of Washington State have decided to not license new vehicles/cycles to stop the spread of the virus. So I can go in and look at the bike in person but cannot actually buy it and that is somehow going to save lives? So many people are going to take years to recover.

NC

I don't think they have it but it's discounted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't think they have it but it's discounted.

I'm more interested now, if that is the true price for the XT

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Check the tach, I'd like to know if the redline IS actually 12k now. Because that's near 25% more powerband

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just been advised by the local dealer that the DL1050XT launch into Australia will not happen on the 18th June as planned and now will be the last quarter of 2020. The base model the DL1050RQ will also be available.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dealer just got one here in Pittsburgh. Go Tuesday to check it out and would probably write it up then, but they only have the yellow XT. I want the orange XT, so will have to wait awhile longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
So, first thoughts on the new 1050. Approximately 270km now (165 miles for the Imperial folks). I can only compare to my previous bike, a 2015 DL650. Comparisons to the DL1000 will be up to someone else. So...

The Good:
  • Very comfortable seating position. Quite similar to the 650. The handlebars seem wider.
  • Seat is firm, but comfortable. And grippy. No sore butt yet.
  • Cruise control is fantastic! With one small complaint (see "The Bad" below)
  • No vibrations, and very smooth. Plenty of power down low. This thing just jumps when you twist the throttle!
  • No buffeting at all with the windscreen in the lowest position. I was on the freeway today at 120kph. Passed a few trucks. No buffeting at any time. I haven't tried higher positions yet because I don't feel the need.
  • Brakes are very good. Much stronger than the 650, with no need for more than two fingers. Probably exactly the same as the DL1000.
  • I like the adjustable clutch lever. Clutch pull is not easy, but not difficult. Smooth actuation.
  • The LCD instrument panel is surprisingly easy to read in bright conditions. I've not experienced any issue where there was glare or a washed out screen. Information is easy to read.
  • The throttle has just the right amount of resistance.
  • The slipper clutch works well. If my downshift throttle blips are a bit off it smooths the deceleration nicely.
  • The hill hold feature works very well. There is a particularly bad hill near me with a traffic light right at the top. This usually means a lot of clutch slipping, reving and good timing. But this time I just accelerated away and there was no roll back. Very nice!
  • The bike does not feel heavy at all once riding, even slowly in a parking lot. It's very maneuverable and feels quite similar to the 650. It's definitely heavier when you're moving it around the garage though.
The Bad
  • The bronze engine has black plastic accent covers. The clutch cover is right next to your right foot. My boot rubs on this plastic cover when I use the back brake and it's scratching. Good thing they are replaceable if it gets really bad.
  • When deactivating cruise control there is a sudden deceleration, like you downshifted and let the clutch out too quickly. It's not like in a car where the pedal moves along with the cruise setting, because the throttle grip stays in the closed position and the computer takes over. Hope that made sense. That said, now that I'm aware of this it's not an issue.
  • Also with the cruise - I have small hands and reaching over to activate the switch with my right thumb causes me to twist the throttle sometimes. Caught me off guard the first couple of times. People with larger hands may not have this issue. Again, now that I know it's not an issue.
  • The LCD screen is VERY easily scratched. Why they didn't use glass here I don't know.
  • I had to adjust the shift lever to accommodate my boots. This isn't a bad thing - just saying.
  • The muffler is HUGE. It sounds very good, but man, is it big.
  • The included tool kit is a joke. Smallest I've ever seen with any bike.
  • The hand guards are very flimsy and vibrate around quite a bit. They offer good wind protection but would never survive a fall.
  • There's very little storage room under the seat.
  • The Japanese Motorcycle Speedometer Accuracy issue is still present. It reads 6-8kph too high.
  • No two-up report, unfortunately. My wife rides her own bike.
So, there are some first impressions after a few days of ownership. I am extremely happy with my purchase. I love the styling, how it sounds and how it feels to ride. It was definitely worth the wait!

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
260 Posts
In Latin AMerica it will have its place since European Makes are much overpriced... a GS1050 is close to $50,000 versus $22,000 for the Vstrom

·
Registered
126 Posts
So, first thoughts on the new 1050. Approximately 270km now (165 miles for the Imperial folks). I can only compare to my previous bike, a 2015 DL650. Comparisons to the DL1000 will be up to someone else.
Thanks for the review. We in Oz will have to wait til the next model after it is released, going by what I've heard...

Fuel economy. I know that it's not a real issue but for me it's range or distance to empty, given the lack of "servos" as we call petrol stations here (short for "service station" as they were once known).

My DL1000A gets around 320km out of a tank (that's about 200m for those who still measure things in cubits). With the change of power characteristics it'll be interesting to see how the engine performs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just been advised by the local dealer that the DL1050XT launch into Australia will not happen on the 18th June as planned and now will be the last quarter of 2020. The base model the DL1050RQ will also be available.
This is the first time that I've seen specific model numbers for the 1050XT (other than '1050XT' of course).

What does the RQ feature compared to other variants? And what are they called?

I googled it but only came up with sites for various spare parts and in mostly non-english.

1001 - 1020 of 1044 Posts