StromTrooper banner

961 - 980 of 1044 Posts

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
Most upgrade the seat or add pad on any bike, so I wouldn't put much merit into that. Agree they should've gone TFT over LCD for the display, but mechanically/electronically the bike is loaded and well designed. We are never going to see Suzuki have the fit and finish of some OEM's, they just aren't known for that.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Oof, and they're asking top dollar for that.

Any thoughts on the "adjustable" seat? IIRC it only moves about 3/4", which isn't zero but doesn't sound like enough to matter.

Sounds like many folks are going to end up putting a custom saddle on it immediately.
3/4" is a pretty big difference, I'm actually surprised it's that much. I think the biggest advantage is going to come from the aftermarket and for people who do not ride 2up. Raising it is nice, but when you go to upgrade your seat you only need half the seat so it's cheaper. In addition I am sure someone will come up with a passenger seat delete to add a rack for additional storage like other bikes have.

Most upgrade the seat or add pad on any bike, so I wouldn't put much merit into that. Agree they should've gone TFT over LCD for the display, but mechanically/electronically the bike is loaded and well designed. We are never going to see Suzuki have the fit and finish of some OEM's, they just aren't known for that.
The XT is loaded, the base model isn't as good as the 18/19 ;) I guess you could argue its as good or better if you value the ride by wire more then things like cornering ABS.

The bike is growing on me though, I think I initially was to hard on it because I was hoping for so much more. I still think it's priced about $1000 to high on the base and $1500 to high on the XT though haha.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It looks like Canadian dealers won't have the bikes until the second half of May as the production for Canada will be late March/ early April.

..Tom
Well, the latest rumour is that delivery of the 1050 to North America will be delayed due to the corona virus causing production and shipping slow downs in Japan. This came from my dealer, who heard it from the higher-ups in his supply chain. So I can't say whether or not there is any truth to this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Dang.
there are at least two in Nova Scotia. Shore Cycle and Pro Cycle had them at the motorcycle show this weekend

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,948 Posts
Personally I'd be thrilled at ride-by-wire. No faffing about with throttle cables, or adjusting an idle screw. Maybe even balancing throttle bodies will be a thing of the past, or am I hoping for too much?

·
Registered
130 Posts
there are at least two in Nova Scotia. Shore Cycle and Pro Cycle had them at the motorcycle show this weekend
Perhaps they were the "travelling 1050's" that are making the show rounds? If not, and they were stocked bikes, then that is good news.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oof, and they're asking top dollar for that.

Any thoughts on the "adjustable" seat? IIRC it only moves about 3/4", which isn't zero but doesn't sound like enough to matter.

Sounds like many folks are going to end up putting a custom saddle on it immediately.
Well, 3/4" is significant enough. Adventuretech's peg lowering kit gains you 1" or so, and that makes a big difference IMO.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Speaking of "cornering ABS", who's ridden a bike with it? And what is it like when it kicks in? And when does it kick in?
it kicks in when the computer calculates that you're trying to input something to the controls that could cause you to lose traction in the front wheel.

I'm not sure you would notice "when" it kicks in as it limits or redirects front braking force based on the inertial forces acting on the bike as well as rider input.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
it kicks in when the computer calculates that you're trying to input something to the controls that could cause you to lose traction in the front wheel.

I'm not sure you would notice "when" it kicks in as it limits or redirects front braking force based on the inertial forces acting on the bike as well as rider input.

I'm curious if it effects trail braking.
Will it even let you apply brakes when leaned over?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like that yellow a whole lot more WITHOUT the blue seat. I also prefer the switch to black panels to break up some of the yellow. I love yellow but the stock bike needs to either lose the blue seat or get rid of some of the panels like the bike below.

NC

Anyone at Daytona this weekend?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,948 Posts
I'm curious if it effects trail braking.
Will it even let you apply brakes when leaned over?
If it is done properly it ought to help trail braking. As in, prevent loss of traction when doing so.

Remains to be seen whether it was done properly, though.

·
Administrator
13,391 Posts
If it is done properly it ought to help trail braking. As in, prevent loss of traction when doing so.

Remains to be seen whether it was done properly, though.
It been out on the DL1000 for a few years. Surely by now people know if it works properly or not?

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Doesn't hurt on my 2018. I trail brake enough to need replacement pads on the rear at 32K.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Still nothing yet. :unsure:

Weird. I thought the 1050 would be out by now. Virus thing halted it?
I bought mine at the end of January, long before the virus hit North America, and I was told late April to early May for delivery in Canada. I assume the US would see deliveries before Canada, so maybe early April? Unless of course the virus has delayed everything. I've heard no reports of Suzuki Japan slowing or ceasing production, so the potential bottleneck could be shipping.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ryan from Fortnine did a recent review of the BMW F1250GS and at the end he gives a thumbs down for a few reasons but does put in a good word for Suzuki and the VStrom 1050 beginning at 6:30, 7:30 and 9:45 of the video.

961 - 980 of 1044 Posts