StromTrooper banner

901 - 920 of 940 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Africa Twin is a much better offroad bike then the XT. Most offroad bikes are very tall so they can have decent ground clearance and long travel suspension. None of these big ADV bikes though are great offroad, if I was going to get back into doing a lot of offroad riding i'd probably buy another DRZ400.

I agree with you though on the new Tenere 700, that bikes a winner and I suspect will steal a lot of sales away from the V-Strom 650.

Has a couple of pictures of the aftermarket mccruise solution for the Africa Twin with Ride by Wire. I doubt Suzuki will offer cruise control as an accessory or upgrade.
According to the test I read cruise will be an option.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I agree with you though on the new Tenere 700, that bikes a winner and I suspect will steal a lot of sales away from the V-Strom 650...
I don't think so they are very different bikes.

The Tenere is a big dual sport really, it won't be comfortable on the road like the Strom. The Honda AT didn't impact Strom sales all that much seems like. The Yamaha is even more dirt focused, tubed tires, skinny dirt bike type seat, subframe doesn't look substantial enough to mount luggage, etc. I see it more as the less maintenance/more dependable alternative to KTM, that will help sales the most I think!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of where the 30 pound weight gain has come from? I know the bike has a new catalytic converter but since it had one to begin with I cannot see this resulting in more than a few pounds. The last bike was borderline for me on weight but cruise control on the new model is a real selling point for me. I don't like the 30 pound weight gain but don't know if you can do much about it.

NC

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of where the 30 pound weight gain has come from? I know the bike has a new catalytic converter but since it had one to begin with I cannot see this resulting in more than a few pounds. The last bike was borderline for me on weight but cruise control on the new model is a real selling point for me. I don't like the 30 pound weight gain but don't know if you can do much about it.
Euro 5 compliance maybe? The new bank angle ABS/traction control stuff? Don't know but new models never get lighter!

Personally I don't get the "need" for cruise control. A throttle lock lets me take my hand off the grip for a rest once in awhile. Where would one use a cruise control except on a long straight road? Those roads you want to avoid on a motorcycle anyway!

·
Registered
266 Posts
The cruise control thing is one of those you won't appreciate it until you try it type of things. I agree that ideally I want all my roads to be twisty and fun where cruise control is of no use. But many, many times, I need to connect fun roads with interstate and being able to slab at 80 mph allows me to make great time. Once a bike has gone throttle by wire there is much reason to NOT have cruise control.

And yeah new bikes never get light but at least the new Triumph is not actually heavier.

NC

Euro 5 compliance maybe? The new bank angle ABS/traction control stuff? Don't know but new models never get lighter!

Personally I don't get the "need" for cruise control. A throttle lock lets me take my hand off the grip for a rest once in awhile. Where would one use a cruise control except on a long straight road? Those roads you want to avoid on a motorcycle anyway!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just read about every post from page 20 onward and like always, agree with about half and disagree with the other half.

Regarding comments about the old technology engine compared to something like the new Triumph Tiger 900 . . .that engine is just a stroked version of the old 800 and that engine was based on a 650 Triumph so it too is equally old.

The Tiger 900 is a sport/adventure touring bike evenly split across the three categories; at least the GT with the 19" front tire fits this bill for me. The Africa Twin favors Adventure at the expense of sport so maybe split 60% adventure and 40% touring while the V-Strom 1050 is probably 60% touring, 30% off road and 10% sport. Given this analysis and I'm not saying I am correct, the V-Strom and Tiger engines are perfectly suited for what they are supposed to do. The Triumph triple revs higher with a much sportier nature whereas the V-Strom 1050 has a lot more torque in the lower and middle range of the power band. I would be $$ that a roll on acceleration test in 3rd gear at 4,000 rpm will see the V-Strom easily walk away from the new Tiger.

So pick your poison, for more mostly off-road I would go Africa Twin. For a balanced sport/touring/ADV bike I'd go Tiger 900 GT and for mostly road touring with some off road I'd go V-Strom 1050.

I really liked that the V-Strom 1000 had a lighter clutch pull than the 650 and the new bike is supposedly fitted with a torque assist clutch. This means half as many clutch springs and a WAY lighter clutch pull. That will be nice should I go this route.

The late Spring delivery time won't hurt sales in Canada or the PNW of the USA but I bet riders in warmer climates are getting trigger happy.

NC

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts

Well......when you have to slab out to get to the good riding, that's where I like/want real cruise control. Have you ever ridden a bike with it by chance, I mean you don't miss what you've never had right? I assume you never use it in your car either? :)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Well......when you have to slab out to get to the good riding, that's where I like/want real cruise control. Have you ever ridden a bike with it by chance, I mean you don't miss what you've never had right? I assume you never use it in your car either? :)
Yea I know long, straight roads. I go across rural Nevada most every time I go on bike trips. No I haven't had a bike with cruise control. I just don't see a need I guess when there's a throttle lock to let you take your hand off once in awhile. Unless you want to be this guy!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I really liked that the V-Strom 1000 had a lighter clutch pull than the 650 and the new bike is supposedly fitted with a torque assist clutch. This means half as many clutch springs and a WAY lighter clutch pull. That will be nice should I go this route.
The 1000 has a hydraulic clutch and a pretty light clutch pull as it is. Would number of springs have any effect?

Don't know, just asking.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Highway pegs and cruise control are a big selling point. The boxer engine in the BMW bikes make highway pegs impossible. Sure it can be done but you'll be less comfortable than just having your feet on the regular pegs. It looks like mounting highway pegs to a V-sTrom 1050 will be simple with the factory installed engine guards.

Can't wait to see one in person.

NC

Yea I know long, straight roads. I go across rural Nevada most every time I go on bike trips. No I haven't had a bike with cruise control. I just don't see a need I guess when there's a throttle lock to let you take your hand off once in awhile. Unless you want to be this guy!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I use the bikes factory cruise control WAY more than I do the one in the cars!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Anyone put a deposit down on one yet? Just curious when and where they hit dealers first in the USA.

Cycle trader may have it first?

Wish I could but I have to pay off my Jeep first. :confused:

·
5,185 Posts

If you have not had it, you simply don't know how much you might use it. I find it very useful for maintaining a set speed. Not for the reason you might guess...I tend to slow down when not paying enough attention more often than speeding up. Keeps me out of trouble when running 5-8 mph over the speed limit which is a common cruise speed for me on 800+ mile days.
I also have throttle locks on both the V Strom and RT ( both with electronic cruise ) as I like to take a bit of tension off the throttle springs with it or when I just need to flip my visor or something.

·
5,185 Posts
Highway pegs and cruise control are a big selling point. The boxer engine in the BMW bikes make highway pegs impossible. Sure it can be done but you'll be less comfortable than just having your feet on the regular pegs. It looks like mounting highway pegs to a V-sTrom 1050 will be simple with the factory installed engine guards.

Can't wait to see one in person.

NC
Might want to rethink the Boxer highway peg thing. I can stretch my legs clear out by laying my heel on these! Won't leave home without them! Fold up tight when not in use. Many boxer owners run a similar setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anyone put a deposit down on one yet? Just curious when and where they hit dealers first in the USA.

Cycle trader may have it first?

Wish I could but I have to pay off my Jeep first. :confused:
Yes I did, but I'm in Canada. I'm being told early May, but maybe late April because I'm one of the first.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Might want to rethink the Boxer highway peg thing. I can stretch my legs clear out by laying my heel on these! Won't leave home without them! Fold up tight when not in use. Many boxer owners run a similar setup.
I just prop my heels up on the engine bars themselves when I feel the need to stretch my legs a bit.
But I'm considering ditching the bars as they cut into ground clearance when cornering hard. I touched them down repeatedly on the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Prices are dropping already....

BS on that link, here is the direct one. Taking Deposits.

Price, if shown and unless otherwise noted, represents the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) or dealer unit price and does not include government fees, taxes, dealer vehicle freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges, labor, installation, or any finance charges (if applicable). MSRP and/or final sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected; contact dealer for more details.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I don't think so they are very different bikes.

The Tenere is a big dual sport really, it won't be comfortable on the road like the Strom. The Honda AT didn't impact Strom sales all that much seems like. The Yamaha is even more dirt focused, tubed tires, skinny dirt bike type seat, subframe doesn't look substantial enough to mount luggage, etc. I see it more as the less maintenance/more dependable alternative to KTM, that will help sales the most I think!
The Tenere 700 has been out for a year in other countries. People are touring all over on them. Tons of luggage options are already available. Chances are your luggage from your Strom will also work on the Tenere, I know mine will :) Offroad it is for sure better then a V-Strom, but it does have compromises and from what I have seen it is not nearly as good offroad as the KTM 790. It's much more street oriented.

I have cruise on my vulcan and it makes me want it even more on my V-Strom. I use it all of the time. Stops me from speeding on the highway on my commute to work. It's also awesome on the interstate for high mileage days. I really miss it when i'm on the Strom. One thing I will add though with cruise is if you ride with other people and they do not have it then you likely wont be able to use it unless you are leading. If you don't have cruise and the person behind you has it and wants to use it you will annoy them to no end haha. Being able to maintain a steady speed helps you flow with traffic better.

901 - 920 of 940 Posts