StromTrooper banner

881 - 900 of 940 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yeah, that sales rep was impressing a couple when I saw it and asked about the black box. Then it got disappointing.

All the extra weight of the 1050 seems to make it only a little better than the 650. Hopefully I can demo ride it this spring.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
want to "upgrade it". Just keep it reliable.
If you are going to play in the big boy sand box then do it! Heat grips standard, some real HP numbers, a suspension that blow your socks off and some of the new teck. If your bike is going to be bumping that $20 K number. Then build a bike that people will see $20 K as a value.
Pretty much the same as my thoughts on the bike, I think they have made the 650 look like one hell of a bargain now! If I was buying a new bike and spending this kind of money i'd be looking hard at the Africa Twin Adventure Sport, if I wanted a more road oriented bike I think i'd take the Versys over the new V-Strom. Electronic Suspension, more powerful, TFT screen, etc.

If the V-Strom would need to be about 2k less for me to take it seriously, but we all know these will not sell well and be deeply discounted this time next year. So if anyone wants one of these, it would be worth waiting a year if they can.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I saw the group of 2020 V Strom 1050s at the Mpls Intl MC show this past weekend. I dunno, I wasn't over thrilled by them, but that's mostly because I'm pretty happy with my '18. There is a lot to like about the '20 XT 1050. Cruise control, styling looked good, rubber mount handle bars, new look headlight, LED turn signals, overall styling, prepped for side bags, are all good stuff. I wasn't sure about the new seat though. The main seat was pretty hard and flat, and the passenger portion was flat + hard + really small. I know my wife would require passenger seat changes ASAP.

As to pricing... Yes, the 2020 MSRP is ~$1500 higher than the '18 1000XT, but there is probably $1500 of improvements over the '18 and '19. Give a little time for Suzuki to roll out a bit of rebates, and the pricing will be more than competitive.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I saw the group of 2020 V Strom 1050s at the Mpls Intl MC show this past weekend. I dunno, I wasn't over thrilled by them, but that's mostly because I'm pretty happy with my '18. There is a lot to like about the '20 XT 1050. Cruise control, styling looked good, rubber mount handle bars, new look headlight, LED turn signals, overall styling, prepped for side bags, are all good stuff. I wasn't sure about the new seat though. The main seat was pretty hard and flat, and the passenger portion was flat + hard + really small. I know my wife would require passenger seat changes ASAP.

As to pricing... Yes, the 2020 MSRP is ~$1500 higher than the '18 1000XT, but there is probably $1500 of improvements over the '18 and '19. Give a little time for Suzuki to roll out a bit of rebates, and the pricing will be more than competitive.
A lot of what you mention is only available on the XT version though, the base model also only has cast wheels so it's not really fair to compare to last years XT. It also loses the lean sensitive ABS and linked brakes that the 18/19 models had, that's only available on the XT now. So in a lot of ways the new base model is not as good of a bike as the outgoing 18/19 base model or XT models. You do get a 5% bump in HP though. The XT is the one to get, just gotta wait for the price to come down.

I just worry though about Suzuki as a company though, having people thinking "Give a little time for Suzuki to roll out a bit of rebates, and the pricing will be more than competitive." is never good for business haha.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The wire spoke model has adjustable windscreen, LED lights, cruise. The cast wheel version does not.
That's odd, isn't it?

You'd think that wire spoked models would be more off-road oriented, therefore cruise control wouldn't be a huge priority. But for mostly sealed road bikes with cast wheels, you'd think that it would be a must.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
That's odd, isn't it?

You'd think that wire spoked models would be more off-road oriented, therefore cruise control wouldn't be a huge priority. But for mostly sealed road bikes with cast wheels, you'd think that it would be a must.
It's ride by wire though so you will be able to buy the plug in modules to add cruise control on like you can with the older Africa Twins. The spoke wheels are tubeless so not really a huge upgrade offroad as you cannot air them down like you can with tubes.

I agree though, very odd decision. Honda did it right with the africa twin. the lower priced model is the offroad oriented one, with less features, smaller tank, tubed wheels, etc. The higher end model has tubeless spoke wheels, larger gas tank, more comfy seat, electronic suspension, etc.

·
Banned
261 Posts
It's ride by wire though so you will be able to buy the plug in modules to add cruise control on like you can with the older Africa Twins. The spoke wheels are tubeless so not really a huge upgrade offroad as you cannot air them down like you can with tubes.

I agree though, very odd decision. Honda did it right with the africa twin. the lower priced model is the offroad oriented one, with less features, smaller tank, tubed wheels, etc. The higher end model has tubeless spoke wheels, larger gas tank, more comfy seat, electronic suspension, etc.
Right on the head Tenny

·
Registered
56 Posts
I personally don’t want to many electronics to cause me problems down the road. But even if you have the more off road version of an ADV bike, they are still made for adventure touring and cruise is nice for the long boring stretches of pavement. I wish they all came with cruise cause I looked at adding an MCcruise to my Africa Twin and it’s very expensive and a fairly significant amount of work for install.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what's being discussed...how silly it is that Suzi is "punishing" those who don't care to spring for the XT price, by leaving off cruise control (and some other stuff) from the lower trims.

And we're looking at workarounds for that.

No one is marketing a CC kit for the 1050 yet AFAIK, but it's probably only a matter of time.

I'm not understanding how it makes economic sense for Suzi to only put the LED lights in the highest trim 1050. I would think they'd want to minimize the changes from one trim to another, not maximize them. Especially with the electrical system. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Here’s a review from a V Strom guy. Cruise being added to a lower model is discussed. It now says cruise will not be available on the base model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
I personally don’t want to many electronics to cause me problems down the road. But even if you have the more off road version of an ADV bike, they are still made for adventure touring and cruise is nice for the long boring stretches of pavement. I wish they all came with cruise cause I looked at adding an MCcruise to my Africa Twin and it’s very expensive and a fairly significant amount of work for install.
What electronics failure have been reported overall on ANY V-Strom year after year? Electronic failures are rare these days, even on the Euro machines.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The newer Africa Twins with ride by wire but no cruise are a pretty straight forward install. Other Suzuki bikes with ride by wire and no cruise also have a simple install. It's a module from MCCRuise that you plug in, it's maybe a 2hr install and most of that is getting at what you need.

The current V-Strom though that is not ride by wire requires a big ugly servo with a stepper motor and a 4-5 hour install. I looked in to them but to me it's just adding another point of failure and not worth it.

I thought this post was about the new 1050. I guess folks can't stick to the topic here, would rather just gab.
It is... And of course we are going to "gab", it's what this community is all about.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
I sat on both the new XT 1050 and the Africa Twin (both variants) at the IMS show in Cleveland, and I have to say, I much preferred the XT. The Honda's extra height when combined with the huge and WIDE between the feet engine, make it much more ponderous and top heavy feeling when just sitting on it at the IMS show.....The honda looks great in photos, but in reality that giant lump of an engine is a bit of a turn off. The XT felt just right and feels much lighter than it actually is. You'd really have to be either desperate for dirt or have a masochistic impulse to ride that behemoth Honda off road. It's ridiculous.

I was definitely surprised.

That said, my favorite dual sporter by far was Yamaha's new 700 Tenere... they nailed it.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I sat on both the new XT 1050 and the Africa Twin (both variants) at the IMS show in Cleveland, and I have to say, I much preferred the XT. The Honda's extra height when combined with the huge and WIDE between the feet engine, make it much more ponderous and top heavy feeling when just sitting on it at the IMS show.....The honda looks great in photos, but in reality that giant lump of an engine is a bit of a turn off. The XT felt just right and feels much lighter than it actually is. You'd really have to be either desperate for dirt or have a masochistic impulse to ride that behemoth Honda off road. It's ridiculous.

I was definitely surprised.

That said, my favorite dual sporter by far was Yamaha's new 700 Tenere... they nailed it.
The Africa Twin is a much better offroad bike then the XT. Most offroad bikes are very tall so they can have decent ground clearance and long travel suspension. None of these big ADV bikes though are great offroad, if I was going to get back into doing a lot of offroad riding i'd probably buy another DRZ400.

I agree with you though on the new Tenere 700, that bikes a winner and I suspect will steal a lot of sales away from the V-Strom 650.

What about the switchgear to control the cruise control? Is that a direct swap and if so, how easy is it for "plug and play"?

Has a couple of pictures of the aftermarket mccruise solution for the Africa Twin with Ride by Wire. I doubt Suzuki will offer cruise control as an accessory or upgrade.

881 - 900 of 940 Posts