StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 1102 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard that Suzuki has dropped the 1000 for 2020. Still offering the 650 though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
NO way hard to believe

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
This was brought up by a member over on the Super Tenere forum. I haven't been able to find any official statement from Suzuki that the model was being discontinued; this seems at the moment to mainly be based on the fact that a DL 1000 isn't included on Suzuki's website for their lineup of 2020 models.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've tried a few times to sell my 07 Vstrom 1000. It still has the factory matching side & top cases. Never crashed or dropped very good condition 25k miles. I think with all the issues of this year/model are driving the resale value down. Just my 2 cts.

The bike I wish Mr. Suzuki would make: Size of the bike and suspension same as DL1K, narrow V4 power 1250cc, chain drive, cast/spoke wheel option. 19" or 17" front wheel as option. LED lights, ABS, adjustable fueling. no luggage. under $13K.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I"ve heard Suzuki from time to time will skip a year for importing certain models due to unsold inventory still in showroom.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,339 Posts
Or....could it be that Suzuki might be considering putting out an actual all new liter class Adventure bike? I have nothing to support that. But while the current DL 1000 is a really good all around bike, it simply doesn't compete in the market it serves. Even its lower price doesn't elicit sales. It has been overdue for a decade for a complete overhaul of the concept.

Like it or not, shaft drive, factory electronic cruise control, good suspension and brakes, HP well over 100 are what it takes to compete with the leaders in this class as far as sales and resale value matter.

You could compete with chain drive, against the Honda Africa Twin and the KTM larger displacement adventure bikes. But you need 130-160 hp to compete on power and a top notch suspension. For a very small piece of the pie. BMW sold 51,000 BMW GS 1200's in 2018. That is worldwide. It would take an all new engine with around 1200cc, shaft drive, and maybe a DCT option to do this. BTW, that would also be a base to build a good Sport Touring road bike to compete with the RT. There is a market......

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I've seen the rumors online of the "DR Big" project (that's what I've seen it called), which is supposedly a liter size ADV bike. If they're accurate, then it would make sense to drop the DL1000 (especially if its sales numbers are underwhelming) to devote those resources to another project. I can't see a company like Suzuki producing two liter sized ADV bikes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure it's still being "offered". As in, they haven't updated/upgraded anything from 2019 and will just continue selling the 2019 models.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hmmm, very interesting.

No big deal though. What kinda improvements are done to the 2020 650?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Example: 2013 Vstrom 1000. There isn't one
Same with 2017.

I think they will do the same thing as they did with the Katana (It's a GSXS1000) and make the DR.Big for 2021. It will be nothing more then a Vstrom 1000 and it will be released in 2020 as a 2021 model. I bought my 2018 Vstrom 1000 in August of 2017.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
it could be, sales of 1000 is obviously not satisfactory comparing to 650,
besides they are so similar nobody will notice...
)
650 isn't selling very well either, a dealer a couple hours away from me bought over 50 2018 650X and sold them for like $3,000 off. I know a few people that got in on the deal.

also they are hardly "so similar nobody will notice" the 1000 is better in every way.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
can't tell if this guy is right:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/april/suzuki-vstrom-1000-2020-dr-big

"Close inspection of the disguised prototypes doesn’t reveal any technical changes compared to the current V-Strom. The frame, forks, brakes and swingarm are all identical, and although the image isn’t pin-sharp, there’s no apparent change to any of the outer engine cases. Even the wheels are straight from the base-model V-Strom 1000, which comes as a surprise. They’re road-oriented alloys, with a 19-inch front and 17-inch rear, despite the fact Suzuki already offers the existing V-Strom with more suitable wire wheels as the V-Strom 1000XT.

Even components like the bars and mirrors appear to be borrowed directly from the existing DL1000 V-Strom, as are the pillion grab handles and the rear licence plate hanger."

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I've seen the rumors online of the "DR Big" project (that's what I've seen it called), which is supposedly a liter size ADV bike. If they're accurate, then it would make sense to drop the DL1000 (especially if its sales numbers are underwhelming) to devote those resources to another project. I can't see a company like Suzuki producing two liter sized ADV bikes.

I remember seeing somewhere that the 1000 sales were competitive with the 650.
Most all ADV shootout type things rank it near the top especially in the bang for buck.

I would believe that the DR Big would be a logical replacement though especially with Honda coming out with a 1200 AT. All the other ADV bikes are in the 1200 range anymore.

Begs the question why one needs a 120+ horse power "off road" bike but hey... :grin2:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
LOL you wish.
no after owning 2 of each I am pretty confident. I've done more then just test ride a 1000 and claim it to have the best engine you've ever ridden only to turn around and say nobody could tell the difference between a 650 and 1000....

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014-2016/340161-bike-has-best-engine-i-have-ever-ridden.html

interesting thread though, sounds like you just regret your decision to buy a 650...
that's the problem that not really, this bike has better low down torque then new AT, versys 1k, f800GS, R1200GS, tiger 800xc, MT-09 tracer and more. I wish v-strom 650xt had this torque because I'd bought it already.

1 - 20 of 1102 Posts