StromTrooper banner

161 - 180 of 327 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,473 Posts
I heard back from the IH Lodge today. Pam, one of the original Staff on IH before being sold (.....and a true angel watching over us) rec'd my questions and sent this reply:

"Good to hear from you...….looking forward to seeing everyone again in October. Our restaurant is open daily for breakfast and dinner. While NC is under a modified Phase 2 re-entry plan, inside dinning is restricted to 50% capacity. We also have tables outside and you can get your food to go if you desire. We have hand sanitizer in the office and restaurant areas. Our "Govenor" wants everyone to wear a mask while in NC when they cannot social distance; however here at IH it is your choice. Pam"
That last line isn't helping my decision to make the trip. Even if everyone associated with the V Strom community wears a mask, there will still be likely dozens of others there. And with the attitude that masks are optional, that puts ALL at a higher risk of contracting Covid 19.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"Comparing our rally to Sturgis, is like apples to watermelons " - over 450k attended. I'd go with watermelon seeds to watermelons. I'd like to think I make that one day just for the spectacle, but it'd be a hell of a ride. I'm not how fun it would be being so crowded.

Do we have current count of commits?

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
What a turnout last year (100+)--and a fraction of that for 2018 (33). Interesting fluctuation.
Ha ha.......yeah, Stalky Tracker would remember, but I think 2018 is when the weather forecast was HORRIBLE (thunderstorms, rain for days), and alot of folks bailed out from coming. But the weather turned out nice when the weekend got there. Weathermen cannot be trusted......especially up there in the Mtns.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Ya, I think @mark444's right, horrible weather forecast for that week and weekend. And then we had great weather for the Rally.

Not everyone signs up, some just show up. In 2019 we had 108 sign-up but 124 registered at the Rally.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ya, I think @mark444's right, horrible weather forecast for that week and weekend. And then we had great weather for the Rally.

Not everyone signs up, some just show up. In 2019 we had 108 sign-up but 124 registered at the Rally.

View attachment 276512
We usually have about half the normal number of riders at the Rally when we meet in the fall. Lots of folks have obligations like kids in school or other distractions such as non motorcycle friendly weather where they are departing from. Some get to ride through snow to get here or back home (lucky dogs). This year is very different from usual years due to no spring (May) Rally. Instead we are riding in October which is usually our fall ride when we have 2 Rallies in a year (usually about every other year).
Bring layers of clothes for this Rally, you can never believe the predicted weather for this region in the fall or really any other time of year. We almost always have some rain, excellent riding weather with plenty of sunshine and some days of a mix of all the weather you can imagine. Good thing we ride in the mountains, if you don't like the weather on one side of the mountains, just go to the other side, it is always different weather.
No mater what may greet us you can count on a lot of fun and plenty of interesting folks riding interesting V-Stoms and other 2 wheelers (maybe even a 3 wheeler or more).
Some of us have been attending for many years and some will be there for the first time, don't miss this one if you like riding, eating, riding, good company, riding, great accommodations and did i mention great riding?
You will find some of the best riding this great country has to offer. We ride gravel, pavement, dirt and a mix of all the above, sometimes on the same day. Some truck their bikes in others ride the distance and some fly in and rent a bike for the Rally. (made much easier now that there is a motorcycle rental operation on site and another couple nearby.
Hard to find a better place to enjoy riding anywhere in the world. Come join us and find out for yourself, the only thing negative we ever hear is why the Rally is only 4 days. Can't wait to see everyone again and to meet all the new attendees this year. Be safe and ride often.
PROWLER

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up a used Strom, and subsequently just joined this site. I just happened to stumble across this and am glad I did. I live in Knoxville so I'm only about an hour and a half from the Iron Horse. I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread yet.....Is it too late to decide to attend? Anything formal I need to do or do I just show up? I'd like to make a camping trip out of this....is anyone else camping somewhere nearby or would i be better off just to tent camp on site?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just picked up a used Strom, and subsequently just joined this site. I just happened to stumble across this and am glad I did. I live in Knoxville so I'm only about an hour and a half from the Iron Horse. I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread yet.....Is it too late to decide to attend? Anything formal I need to do or do I just show up? I'd like to make a camping trip out of this....is anyone else camping somewhere nearby or would i be better off just to tent camp on site?
Hey Man, No nothing you need to do other than let us know you are coming. Tent camping needs no reservations. I would get there Thursday if possible to get the best sites. Go to the Eastern V-Strom Rally site and add your name so we can plan a bit. The link is listed in this thread somewhere, cant add it from here for some reason. There is a schedule (we really aren't about schedules but there is a general plan to look at) and a lot of info. about the IronHorse and the area as well as who is planning to attend, There will probably be many more than have signed up, always is.
This is a great opportunity for you to see all the farkles and adjustments the guys have made over the years on their stroms. That's what i did on the first Rally I attended, I stole ideas and got to know all the little things about the bike that were useful to me. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. Lots of knowledge about the bikes and the area we are riding in. Thought I knew a lot about the area until I met with these guys.
When you arrive just look for our little tent out front and introduce yourself. We ride rain or shine, snow or sleet, hail and wind etc. and sometimes we just sit and BS. Look up Bill Clelland if you have a few hours for stories. ( watch out when he says "to make a long story short") That means totally the opposite. Really though Bill has been attending since the start of the Rally at the Horse and has a lot to share. We love him and his stories.
We also might be leading a group to the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley Friday or Saturday with a cookout involved.
I am riding through Knoxville on Thursday around noon or so, depends on if there is fog when I leave here in central Ky. If you want to ride along or follow just get in touch or leave me your phone number.
Great to have you in the group. Enjoy.
PROWLER

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
@ManBearPig welcome, what Prowler said. Rally website link is in my signature below.

One note, if you do make a tent camping reservation with Iron Horse and provide an email address, they usually send the menu for breakfast & dinner (they don't do lunch) about a week ahead of time. That way you can make your menu selections in advance if you like.

If you have questions, holler. Here, PM, or through the Rally website. Some one will answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very cool. Thanks guys.

I went ahead and registered on the site. I took Friday off work but probably can't swing skipping Thursday too. But if that's when things get going maybe I'll come out Thursday afternoon. I could probably be there by 6 or so.

One question....what kind of riding typically goes on? I am in the process of setting up this bike with an off-road bias. I have a set of TKC80's waiting to go on, but my street tires still have a lot of life left. If there will be some dirt/gravel/trail riding I'll go ahead and mount up the knobbies. But if it's mostly pavement maybe I'll just hold off and get some more use out of what's on there already.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
MBP.......welcome..!!!! Look at the pics from previous rallys on the rally website.....will give you a mental pic of how to prepare if you tent camp there. No one really cooks or makes coffee at their tent site.....the Lodge is only 100 feet away for all that, so are the Clean RR's/Showers. Some guys hang hammocks....get their early "to mark your tree".....:p In regards to dirt vs tarmac......with 40-100 riders, there is something for everyone......we typically form groups of 3 -7 riders in the mornings, and then head out to ride after breakfast at the Lodge (usually the ride last all day, but that's entirely up to you). Meet someone the night before, ask them where they are riding the next day, then ask if you can join them (if the route appeals to you).... we are loosy-goosy on forming "formal rides". Hint: don't try to over-ride your capabilities......ask the guys "are you fast riders or rose-smellers (slow)".....they will usually tell you......pick a group of guys that match your style. There are no chest-pounders in this bunch, it's all about the scenery and the ride. Stalky Tracker has lots of possible day-routes shown on the rally website....check em out. Come back in the evening for dinner at the Lodge, BS sessions before and after dinner, then a meeting upstairs to discuss the day, tomorrow's activities, and/or next year's rally plans......along with a guest speaker some nights and/or a tech seminar. Oh yeah, we try to hand out SWAG (door prizes) too. Stecoah is in a Dry County, bring your own beverage of choice if you want......ICE is available there. You might check out Youtube also as some guys have downloaded their rally videos there from previous years. All in all, a VERY laid-back, friendly group of gearheads (sprocketheads??) without much "drama" or off-the-wall shenannigans.........except for that Prowler character. Hollar here (or PM) with any questions......see ya in about 5 weeks!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will be closing the t-shirts sign up this Sat (9/12) at Noon central time.
Also I'd like to not that I'm rather impressed with the number of people participating despite the circumstances.

Buck

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #175 (Edited)
Go to the Rally Website and place your order for a TShirt or two.......TOMORROW is the cut-off......no exceptions. The more shirts we order, the cheaper they are for everyone. As far as my intel, all roads in NC are open........right now, the Rally is still a "GO".....and honestly, I don't see the COVID numbers getting worse between now and mid-October.......not until the Flu Season starts later. Prepare for much cooler weather by Rally Weekend......Prowler says the temps in Ken-Tuck-Eeee have already started to drop noticably. Personally, I'm about ready for Fall Riding Weather.
REMEMBER: sign up for a Tshirt by tomorrow, or attend the rally "shirtless"......... 😢

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Sounds good. Definitely looking forward to it.
From a guy who camps at IH regularly...
  • the tent sites are beside a nice creek in the middle of the facility, close to the fire pit. It can be a little noisy until 11 or so. Best way to sleep, drink at the fire pit until 11....or so.
  • camp there. You will be close to everything. Showers and pisser short walk across bridge. They have towels, soap, shampoo.....everthing there for campers.
  • if you do not need power for your tent, I don't, then you need not worry as you can find a spot at last minute.
  • they have gravel tent pads, but you can pitch anywhere in the tent area on grass if you want. The tent area has nice shade.

Hope to see you, I am on a red Tenere, say hey if you see me.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
OK........things are starting to "Roll" as far as the Rally is concerned. TShirt Orders are now closed and they will be ordered shortly by Buck83. "Thankyou" Justin for doing this another year......we all appreciate you pitching in to help make our Eastern Rally a very fun event........oh, and "Thankyou" for the Rally Stickers too. I believe RealShelby started this tradition (rally stickers) years ago, and Justin (Buck83) has taken up the torch year after year for designing/ordering/paying for these. When you see him at the Rally, slip him a buck (no pun intended) to help offset his out-of-pocket costs.

The Wheels thru Time Museum will be open to the Public again starting October 1st (I did not realize they had been closed due to Covid??). They have some new Displays to show off inside. For first-time attendees, I encourage you to ride the 45-60 minutes to Maggie Valley and spend 1-2 hrs going thru the Museum......well worth the admission. Speaking of: if you might be interested in riding over in a Group to the Museum either Friday or Saturday, post here on this thread. Dale, the owner of the Museum, allowed us to use his outdoor pavillion, tables, chairs, BBQ grill and we have had a Hot-Dog Cook-out there in the past........GREAT Fun!!! (see pictures of past events on the Rally Website of the last cook-out) Post up (here) if interested.......will need a minimum committment of 6-8 folks to make the cook-out worthwhile.....I will have my truck or van for hauling the bacon, ice, drinks, paper products, etc.....all you have to do is RIDE, and show up!!

Next up.......gonna bring back an old "activity" of Rally's Past.......our Eastern Vstrom Flea Market. We did this years ago and it ended up being a great way of moving your no-longer used apparel, accessories, parts and farkles....and a good way to BUY stuff on the cheap!! I bought a New set of Sonic Springs for my Wee for $25 that year. Bring your "schtuff" to the Sign-In Table directly outside the IH Office. We will have tags already printed with strings for attaching. Print: your forum name, name of item, and the "No Dicker" sale price of the item. Make the price of the item the rock-bottom of what you will accept......the folks working the Sign-in Booth don't need to be trying to negotiate prices back & forth on stuff that belongs to someone else. Set the price C-H-E-A-P....!!!!! Bring heavy duty coat hangers for hanging your apparel on the Ez Up......we won't have table space for a pile of clothes, but should have a table or two for small parts/farkles/literature/etc. I will be bringing many items........nice Corbin Gunfighter & Lady Seat for 1st Generation Vstroms, a minty set of Scorpion Pipes/tubes + FI Commander for DL1000's (2002 -2012), ROK Straps, SOKz Moto-socks, Jacket or three, Frogg Toggs, Tank Bag, vstrom hard-parts, and anything else I can dig up that was suppose to be sold at The Barber Vintage Festival (cancelled for 2020). I realize guys riding to the rally cannot bring tons of items, nor carry large purchased items home on Sunday, but save some space on your bike if possible?

Looks like approximately 40 folks have signed-up so far to attend, with that number increasing slowly every week. I'm guessing 55-60 names by the time rally weekend rolls around.....which is a GOOD number. Lots of faces, but a managable group as well..........except for that "Prowler" member. 🎃

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would be happy to join a group to the museum.

Also, I'll be meeting a friend of mine in Birmingham on Thursday to ride up from there. We plan to "take the long way" and avoid the superslabs--75/80mph on the interstate is not my idea of fun, particularly on a middleweight. We haven't planned the route yet but it looks like "taking the long way" will add about an hour to our trip, but it should be more interesting and scenic.

If any of you from Mississippi or Alabama who'd be coming through there would like to meet up, holler at me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
OK........things are starting to "Roll" as far as the Rally is concerned. TShirt Orders are now closed and they will be ordered shortly by Buck83. "Thankyou" Justin for doing this another year......we all appreciate you pitching in to help make our Eastern Rally a very fun event........oh, and "Thankyou" for the Rally Stickers too. I believe RealShelby started this tradition (rally stickers) years ago, and Justin (Buck83) has taken up the torch year after year for designing/ordering/paying for these. When you see him at the Rally, slip him a buck (no pun intended) to help offset his out-of-pocket costs.

The Wheels thru Time Museum will be open to the Public again starting October 1st (I did not realize they had been closed due to Covid??). They have some new Displays to show off inside. For first-time attendees, I encourage you to ride the 45-60 minutes to Maggie Valley and spend 1-2 hrs going thru the Museum......well worth the admission. Speaking of: if you might be interested in riding over in a Group to the Museum either Friday or Saturday, post here on this thread. Dale, the owner of the Museum, allowed us to use his outdoor pavillion, tables, chairs, BBQ grill and we have had a Hot-Dog Cook-out there in the past........GREAT Fun!!! (see pictures of past events on the Rally Website of the last cook-out) Post up (here) if interested.......will need a minimum committment of 6-8 folks to make the cook-out worthwhile.....I will have my truck or van for hauling the bacon, ice, drinks, paper products, etc.....all you have to do is RIDE, and show up!!

Next up.......gonna bring back an old "activity" of Rally's Past.......our Eastern Vstrom Flea Market. We did this years ago and it ended up being a great way of moving your no-longer used apparel, accessories, parts and farkles....and a good way to BUY stuff on the cheap!! I bought a New set of Sonic Springs for my Wee for $25 that year. Bring your "schtuff" to the Sign-In Table directly outside the IH Office. We will have tags already printed with strings for attaching. Print: your forum name, name of item, and the "No Dicker" sale price of the item. Make the price of the item the rock-bottom of what you will accept......the folks working the Sign-in Booth don't need to be trying to negotiate prices back & forth on stuff that belongs to someone else. Set the price C-H-E-A-P....!!!!! Bring heavy duty coat hangers for hanging your apparel on the Ez Up......we won't have table space for a pile of clothes, but should have a table or two for small parts/farkles/literature/etc. I will be bringing many items........nice Corbin Gunfighter & Lady Seat for 1st Generation Vstroms, a minty set of Scorpion Pipes/tubes + FI Commander for DL1000's (2002 -2012), ROK Straps, SOKz Moto-socks, Jacket or three, Frogg Toggs, Tank Bag, vstrom hard-parts, and anything else I can dig up that was suppose to be sold at The Barber Vintage Festival (cancelled for 2020). I realize guys riding to the rally cannot bring tons of items, nor carry large purchased items home on Sunday, but save some space on your bike if possible?

Looks like approximately 40 folks have signed-up so far to attend, with that number increasing slowly every week. I'm guessing 55-60 names by the time rally weekend rolls around.....which is a GOOD number. Lots of faces, but a managable group as well..........except for that "Prowler" member. 🎃
Hey I resemble that last remark:alien:. I think the mini swap will be great and plan to bring a few items myself. Always looking for that great deal i can't go home without. Like Mark said we always have a great time at the museum and they treat us like kings and queens. I am not usually the museum kinda guy but this one is very different in the fact that everything in there runs. If Dale or his son are around they always run and ride some special bikes for us.
They let you know they are glad to see you and as Mark said they allow us to use the pavilion for our lunch cookout.
I am pleasantly surprised to see so many signed up for the fall Rally which is usually not as well attended due to prior commitments like school, work and sometimes weather intervenes for the way up North folks this time of the year. Some of us have determined we can ride Stroms in about anything except deep snow and ice (right Stalky?). A few of us have experience with the snow and ice thing.
It is also great to see some new folks will be joining us for this Rally, always good to meet new friends that ride. All you new folks, don't worry about a thing, a few of us have been attending this for a couple of years and if you have questions just look up Bill C. or Stalky Tracker, maybe Mark444 but watch out for Prowler (wait a minute :unsure:). Really just show up and prepare for some great riding and better fellowship with like minded riders.
The countdown is short so get that new tire, change the oil and pack a bag for the latest version of the Eastern V-Strom Rally.
Prowler

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)
Current Listing of Attendees......just 3.5 weeks away...……..don't miss it, add your name to the growing list on the Rally Website …. www.easternvstromrally.com.

1. Stalky Tracker - Wisconsin (aka "Larry")
2. Prowler - Kentucky (aka "Mo")
3. Bill C - South Carolina
4. MikeM - Iowa
5. jgendr - Mississippi
6. CarpenterD - Mississippi
7. Dirt Roads - New York
8. Happy Hooker - Alabama
9. Max in Montreal - Quebec
10. Spokes - New York
11. Topflite22! - Florida
12. Forest Cop - Ontario
13. 568v8 - Ontario