StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 327 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Less then 2 months away. Time to put new shoes on the bike, replace that broken turn signal, chain's good, oil is fine, get some long underwear in case it snows :) ...

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Ditto what Stalky said above.........it's been a brutally hot summer down here in Dixie, looking forward to cooler weather by October (hopefully, but one never knows). Also don't forget to place your name on the Roster and Sign-Up for a Rally Tshirt (if wanted)........both on the Eastern Rally Website. A few "Swag" items have trickled in.........TShirts, new aftermarket levers, StatMount Phone Mounting System, ROK Straps, Moto-socks, plus a few other "suprises". If you want to add something to the SWAG PILE, bring a vstrom farkle that you are no longer using, or vstrom spare parts not needed, and/or nice riding apparel that may not fit anymore (due to weight LOSS, I'm sure.......right??).

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
If anybody has a room open up in a cabin, I would be interested. I am booked in a bunkhouse and would prefer to be more spread out and socially distant and all that. If not, I am thinking hard about my tent. I am Covid free and a mask wearer with good taste in Bourbon. And don't believe anything Mark444 says to the contrary.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm inquiring about accomodations at the lodge I will sign up if they have something available. Got a new DL all dressed up and nowhere to go. Hopefully they'll have something and I can meet some of you. Only done a couple of these things--Honda Homecoming in like 99 and BIke week around 05 or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For us first timers....Will there be a schedule/agenda for rides/events? I wanna get in as much riding as possible. Not sure how structured this is.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pretty loose ride planning. Usually meet with folks during and after dinner the night before to plan rides. Some ride fast, so ask about speed. I always love the double the posted group! :D

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
For us first timers....Will there be a schedule/agenda for rides/events? I wanna get in as much riding as possible. Not sure how structured this is.
What @Spokes said. It's pretty laid back. Especially this year with COVID concerns and border closures limiting attendance. There are usually a couple folks hanging around Iron Horse's office greeting and harassing folks. And folks gather around the bikes in the Lodge parking area and around the map counter inside the Lodge. After dinner, we usually meet upstairs for announcements and discussions. Followed by the telling of lies around the fire pit by the creek.

There's a tentative schedule on the Rally website (link below in my signature). It should solidify as we get a little closer.

Hope that helps. If not, holler, PM, or contact the Rally via the website.

·
Registered
83 Posts
May have to check that out. I recently revisited Barber Motorsports museum. A must see if you're ever in my neck of the woods. I suspect most of you are already aware of it. Looking forward to it guys. I think my buddy's gonna ride up with me. If anyone else is coming from around Birmingham yonderway, maybe we can meet up somewhere on the way up--I plan to make a day of it, staying off the interstates.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
FYI..........the Barber Vintage Festival was scheduled the same weekend as our Rally. Barber Motorsports has cancelled their event for 2020.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mark,

Keep us all up to date should ironhorse decide to hang us all out to dry, sad Barbers called it this late in the season.

On a side note 10:1 bet this covid scary will be all over with come November election day. All this hyped up scare tactics is all about the election..... lol

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Keep us all up to date should ironhorse decide to hang us all out to dry, ..........
J.........I'm thinking the IH will continue to host "gatherings" as the number of Covid Cases (hopefully) start decreasing the next few weeks.........BUT.........with schools opening, there is no telling what the numbers will do. The Barber Festival had 65,000 in attendance last year......there would be no way for the Barber Management/Staff to handle that many people safely....don't think we can compare our rally to a large event like that. During the rally, we may need to wear masks......or just keep our helmets on all the time!! And also watch how close we sit during the meals......

I will try to contact the IH and see how things are going there......and what precautions they have inacted, and what they expect us to do in return. Stay tuned........

NON-UPDATE: I emailed the IH Sunday night asking questions...…….no reply yet (as of Tuesday 2:30PM). Will give them until tomorrow, then I will call...…….

·
Registered
74 Posts
As Mark444 mentioned, the Barber Vintage Festival was cancelled. I was planning to go to it BEFORE we postponed this rally. Called IH this morning and got my lodging arranged so I’ll see you in October. Looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Called IH this morning and got my lodging arranged so I’ll see you in October. Looking forward to it!
I bet by then, Mickey, you will be "harder than a honeymoon di...."........excited I mean. Can't wait to see everyone and take-up our parking lot conversations from last year's event....!!

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I heard back from the IH Lodge today. Pam, one of the original Staff on IH before being sold (.....and a true angel watching over us) rec'd my questions and sent this reply:

"Good to hear from you...….looking forward to seeing everyone again in October. Our restaurant is open daily for breakfast and dinner. While NC is under a modified Phase 2 re-entry plan, inside dinning is restricted to 50% capacity. We also have tables outside and you can get your food to go if you desire. We have hand sanitizer in the office and restaurant areas. Our "Govenor" wants everyone to wear a mask while in NC when they cannot social distance; however here at IH it is your choice. Pam"

Reading an article yesterday about 100+ people tested Positive in various states of folks who attended Sturgis (250,000 people over 10 days??). The pics I saw of the rally showed hardly anyone wearing a mask, and many standing shoulder to shoulder in crowded areas. I assume that number of 100 will rise as data comes in. Comparing our rally to Sturgis, is like apples to watermelons, but we gotta be on our toes about Covid Safety.

Things may get better between now and October...…..or, could get worse too. We gotta practice "good sense" at this rally...….maybe sitting in every other chair at the tables inside, and perhaps wearing a mask of some kind when in close proximity to others in a group environment. Wearing a mask might actually IMPROVE some of our facial looks.....!!! We will have a Special Award given out for the most "unique mask" at the rally...….so, get creative, but make it sensible too. We will supply many more hand sanitizer bottles to be available outside, in the restrooms, tent camping areas, and bunkhouse...…..all I ask is that Private Room Renters BYOB (of sanitizer). And even tho it is a Dry County, that does not mean you can revert to drinking the sanitizer just because it contains alcohol...……again, BYOB (or can) of beverage...…..you know, to kill any covid germs with the alcohol. NOTE: due to Covid19, Bill Clellen is "limited" to ONLY telling 30 personal true-life stories in the parking lot, none lasting over 10 minutes each. We know, an almost IMPOSSIBLE feat to achieve, but Working Together we can beat this...………..and win!!!

There will be a small amount of SWAG given away each night, just like previous rallies...……..and discussions about next year's rally......as we always do. For the First-Timers, I suggest riding over to Maggie Valley (45 minute ride) and spending 1-2 hours in the Wheels thru Time Museum. If enough people show interest, we may even have another lunch cook-out there in their outdoor pavilion on the grounds...….hot dogs, chips, drinks outside. No promises, but stay tuned here...…..(oh yeah, Stalky said they are having a Can-Am Spyder Rally our same weekend in Maggie Valley...…..Spyders Everywhere!!!!!)
TShirt Sign-Up is located on the EasternVstromRally website......bottom of page. Cut-off for ordering will be approximately mid-September...…...don't procrastinate...……we ALWAYS have people show up and say "I forgot to order one, do you have any extras"...….as of right now, the answer is "No"....we don't order "spares". (we only have extras if no-shows order one and we need to sell it to pay BUCK83 who pays for all the shirts up-front when he orders them)

I have amassed a small pile of Vstrom spare parts, accessories (for all bikes....tank bags, etc), wearing apparel, etc, etc...…….and plan on bringing it up in my van for the rally to be "For Sale" outside at the Sign-In Table...…..at almost give-away prices. Anyone/Everyone is encouraged to do the same....just make sure you have your name on the item and the FIRM price. No dickering, just pay the person at the table and hand them the name tag off the item. We have done this in the past and proved to be fun...…..some REAL bargins to be had.

Stay tuned here (and the rally website) for further info as it trickles in...…...

141 - 160 of 327 Posts