StromTrooper banner

81 - 100 of 313 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
Joined
·
5,422 Posts
Some of you know I have been active in the Rally for many years. Gave up riding while at the event one time a few years back because others in charge had issues that kept them from being at the rally, so I stepped up. I have invested some effort into it over the years.

I write this so you will know I have the best interest at heart. Just cannot see how going forward with the rally on the standard date will be good for everyone that attends. Not just being at the event, but staying overnight on the way to the rally, where will you eat while on the road, and it sure looks like the roads may not be open now. While it may be come mid May all is well and everything is working and some will say "I told you so", I think planning NOW to postpone the rally is really the only honest course to take.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I'm a no body in this forum but I had BIG EXCITING plans for this to be my first Rally. I find myself thinking more and more the past few days that maybe it would be wise for me to cancel and just stay put... unless things drastically change of course. If restaurants and the great scenery are closed, I can always ride the hand full of roads I have near me without slabbing through Nashville and down I40. I'm definitely waiting as patiently as I can (along with others) to join in on all the fun that the IH rally provides from the way things read. Looking forward to meeting all the regulars whenever things make a change for the better. So in conclusion, I guess you can count me OUT even though we still have almost 2 months until time to saddle up. It's a long way off but at the same time, no one is being cured as of yet.
This too shall pass.
Safe travels in your journey gentleman.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
Current Rally Status

We are continuing to plan on a May 14-17 Rally. Plan B is Oct 8-11. A final decision on changing the plan will be made on or by April 12.

The EVR Committee
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
KUDOS to Stalky Tracker and Prowler for working daily behind the scenes with The Iron Horse. The October date was not a date we (stromtroopers) just dreamed up..........the available Plan B Dates were VERY limited as to what the IH could offer. October appeared to be the best for us attendees. Other groups are already re-adjusting their original rally dates (just like we are), and the pickins (dates) were already "slim". We ALL need to look at the situation in 2 weeks.......the Iron Horse may be open for the May Event, but what about major roads we like to ride......resturants, grocery stores, 7-11's, gas stations, etc.??
Thanks again for "Ruff & Ready's" leadership in moving forward with a proactive plan.....!!!!
 

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
Joined
·
5,422 Posts
I think...in two weeks there will be no doubt about what is the right choice to make. Nothing wrong with waiting till then to confirm it. Kudos for at least getting dibs on the October date. I think that would work well. If needed.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
KUDOS to Stalky Tracker and Prowler for working daily behind the scenes with The Iron Horse. The October date was not a date we (stromtroopers) just dreamed up..........the available Plan B Dates were VERY limited as to what the IH could offer. October appeared to be the best for us attendees. Other groups are already re-adjusting their original rally dates (just like we are), and the pickins (dates) were already "slim". We ALL need to look at the situation in 2 weeks.......the Iron Horse may be open for the May Event, but what about major roads we like to ride......resturants, grocery stores, 7-11's, gas stations, etc.??
Thanks again for "Ruff & Ready's" leadership in moving forward with a proactive plan.....!!!!
Unfortunately, it's virtually certain that the May dates won't hold. On the bright side, I may be able to make October. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
I'm sure all of you are keeping in touch with the tally of confirmed cases and your country's increasing number of known infections. It took China and other countries a minimum of 3 months to see light at the end of the tunnel and that was due to some pretty harsh measures. I'm sure all of you will do the right thing not just for yourselves but for your fellow citizens. This virus is one incredible piece of design....some folks don't even know they have it and on average symptoms don't show for 5.6 days. It needs hosts to survive. Some nations talk about flattening the curve but what is needed is to hammer the virus down. Take care...and stay well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
It would be great if May still works out, but I’m fairly certain I can make the Oct. date work too. That is a great time to ride in the mountains also!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,090 Posts
Thanks to all you guys that are keeping this going. I had no idea that Plan B had been discussed, much less confirmed with the Iron Horse. As for me, I can make either date work just fine.

AGAIN - thanks from the heart
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
The Eastern V-Strom Rally has been postponed. The Rally dates are now Oct 8 - 11, 2020 at Iron Horse MC Lodge.

Everyone with reservations needs to contact Kristen at Iron Horse to move the dates for your room, bunkhouse, cabins, etc. For campers there are no issues. Cancellations can be discussed with Kristen the office manager. The Iron Horse is CLOSED FOR NOW so Kristen is the only one there answering calls and emails so be patient please.

The weather should be beautiful, leaves changing colors, and get "brisk" at night (Mark444 saw 28F last time he was there in October). Stay tuned to this thread as more updates trickle in.


The Eastern V-Strom Rally Committee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Guys and gals, we are excited to be going back to Iron Horse in the fall. The colors are fantastic and the roads are less traveled. It was a disappointment to make the call to reschedule the Rally this year. It was decided with an overabundance of caution that it would be better to make the call now instead of waiting until the last minute and not give everyone enough time to reschedule their time off, schedules etc.
We realize that a few cannot change their schedules to be able to attend this year but there are also some that can now make the Rally because of the change in dates. We will really miss those that cannot be there with us this year.
As some of you are aware, we sometimes (usually every other year) feel the need for two gatherings in a single year with one in May and one in late September or early October. This year will be strange with the main Rally being held in the fall. If you have not attended a fall Rally you are in for a real treat. The colors are the best, the roads are lightly traveled and you are usually comfortable riding with your protective gear all day without melting down.
The Iron Horse was accommodating and helped us reschedule the Rally for a time that would fit our needs. The previous post by Stalky Tracker will give you the information needed to reschedule your accommodations, please do so at your earliest convenience so we can get a good head count on how many to prepare for. If you cannot attend this year please try to let either Stalky Tracker, Mark444 or myself Prowler know so we can take you off of the expected attendees list.
It is possible that the quarantine will end before long but no one can tell at this point when North Carolina will reopen the roads we love to ride. If you decide to visit the area before October make sure to visit the State tourism websites associated with where you intend to ride before you go to check for spots to eat, ride and stay.
Who would have thought even a few months ago that states would actually close roads, restaurants and campgrounds all across our country.
On the bright side, we will get to visit the Smokies in the fall with a lot of our friends, we will have a late season vacation to relieve stress from the hectic summer that we expect after we all get back to our normal lives and try to catch up on all that was on hold.
Ride safe and ride often.
Prowler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Sounds splendid! Roads less traveled sounds even better! My kinda camping weather indeed. Little bonfire plus a nip of the good stuff in the saddle bag makes the conversations that much more hilarious. Its the only time you can fudge on the truth a bit, and no one calls you out in it. Hahaha!
Many many thanks to all those on the front line here on the forum for all the re-plannig and phone calls, emails, and keeping errbody posted. Hats off to you'uns.
Safe travels in your journey gentleman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Thanks for the update guys. Glad I can still make it in Oct, Like it was mentioned, the weather will be different in the Fall but change is good. Stay safe everybody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Well by looking at the sign up sheet there will be at least 8 of us at the October Rally. Plenty of room for others. Seriously folks please let us know who is coming so we can prepare for your arrival.
Prowler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,498 Posts
With an unprecedented Medical situation the world faces, postponing a gathering is prudent. Most of us are quite social and enjoy meeting fellow riders. Saying exactly when we can safely do so is difficult. So hang in there and wait until the clear signal is sent and then part like 1999!
 
81 - 100 of 313 Posts
Top