StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,214 Posts
Count me in again! I will be doing the infamous Clutch Chudder Seminar on Friday at 8 pm.

I will be there Thursday and Friday, but have to head back West on Saturday morning this year........

So I am going to be in Robbinsville Tuesday, a day earlier than usual to ride some.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Count me in again! I will be doing the infamous Clutch Chudder Seminar on Friday at 8 pm.

I will be there Thursday and Friday, but have to head back West on Saturday morning this year........

So I am going to be in Robbinsville Tuesday, a day earlier than usual to ride some.
Shelby, great to hear you are attending again this year. Maybe one of these days you will talk me into the clutch fix. Plans are coming along nicely for the Rally this year, we cant wait to see everyone again and experience some of the great roads and trails this area offers.
Bill C. and I plan to do a bit more riding than usual and I would like to do a bit of dirt again. Might be the Forest service Rd and Ranger Station Rd. on the East side of the Smokies near Cosby, Tn. Look me up if interested, it is a very scenic and fun ride. Nothing very difficult and 2 very small water crossings (sometimes no water at all ). We usually see no cars at all and a couple of years ago we startled 5 bears playing in the road (a bit too close for comfort).
BONUS: at the end of this ride is Carvers Apple Orchard restaurant which has fantastic lunch and dinner offerings (the apple fritters are to die for). It is worth the ride to just visit Carvers. I plan to do this ride Friday if weather allows due to how busy they get on Saturdays with all the tourists visiting.
As you can see we have plans in place but as always happens, plans change after we arrive. Too many places to ride and too little time.
Mark 444 and Stalky Tracker along with others are continuing to plan many exciting events to keep us all busy but don't hold back if you have somewhere interesting to visit or you have something in mind to help make the Rally better.This site is a good place to share your thoughts and ideas.
See you all in a couple of months.
Prowler

·
Registered
99 Posts
With this being my first rally, (not having a GPS) will my cellphone be sufficient for giving me directions? Is there enough cell signal in that area to land safely without using paper maps?
Or should I just plan on following all the other pack-mule adv bikers? Ha!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
With this being my first rally, (not having a GPS) will my cellphone be sufficient for giving me directions? Is there enough cell signal in that area to land safely without using paper maps?
Or should I just plan on following all the other pack-mule adv bikers? Ha!
What @blaustrom said. Coming in from the east on Hwy 28, I loose cellphone coverage around Almond NC. Cell coverage at Iron Horse has been pretty poor in the past, though one cell provider did have some coverage, Version or AT&T. I forget which now. I haven't tried a cell at Deals Gap or the north end of the Dragon, but did have cell service at Vonore TN last year. If you need directions or more info, holler.

·
Registered
239 Posts
WOW tail of the dragon is right there...This trip is calling me more and more...it ticks off too many boxes.
I am in competition with my sister in the number of states visited, driving down from Montreal Canada will add a few I have never been through.
Driving on tail of the Dragon is another bonus.
The third would be to try the saddle sore 1000, or whatever its called. One way trip for me is about 1056 Miles, or 1700 KM.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You can easily lose phone service in the mtn valleys and less populated areas. Take paper maps along as insurance.

·
Administrator
13,207 Posts
The third would be to try the saddle sore 1000, or whatever its called. One way trip for me is about 1056 Miles, or 1700 KM.
That would be a long day it you aren't used to it!

My longest day was 1,600 km/1000 miles heading home from the Ironhorse (after last year's eastern Valley) to Port Perry. I could see on my GPS traffic app that QEW was closed at Hamilton so I took a longer way home.

I think it's important to work up to it, or at least make sure you don't have a hard deadline to be somewhere at a time that depends on the long day. My bike is setup quite comfy for me so that doing successive 1,200 km days is no problem

..Tom

·
Registered
239 Posts
Longest i have done is montreal to sarnia without issue. I dont know if i can do this one in one shot or not but its not a do or die situation. I will give myself an extra day each way just in case. But i will follow all the rules just in case i can do it. Its a challange but safety comes first.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,214 Posts
I think it's important to work up to it, or at least make sure you don't have a hard deadline to be somewhere at a time that depends on the long day. My bike is setup quite comfy for me so that doing successive 1,200 km days is no problem

..Tom
How true it is! Getting the bike to work with you is everything. While some can do 1000 miles on the stock seat, most won't want to think about trying that. Same with the windshield. Then there is getting the packing right and all the small details that add up. Get some high mile days under your belt and you will understand exactly how important the small details become!

While I am tired and ready for a nice hot shower, my 800+ mile days don't have me getting off my bike so sore that I am in pain. My butt isn't keeping me from continuing on. Get the bike to that point and the high mile days are actually something I enjoy! If you are squirming at 300 miles, stopping every 100 to rest, then don't force yourself further.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How true it is! Getting the bike to work with you is everything. While some can do 1000 miles on the stock seat, most won't want to think about trying that. Same with the windshield. Then there is getting the packing right and all the small details that add up. Get some high mile days under your belt and you will understand exactly how important the small details become!

While I am tired and ready for a nice hot shower, my 800+ mile days don't have me getting off my bike so sore that I am in pain. My butt isn't keeping me from continuing on. Get the bike to that point and the high mile days are actually something I enjoy! If you are squirming at 300 miles, stopping every 100 to rest, then don't force yourself further.
I agree with all RealShelby says and it is important to work up to the long stretches. In the days or weeks before an Iron Butt attempt I always got several trips in the 600-800 mile range under my belt first. My personal best was 1180 miles in 24 hours on a modified Gold Wing in the late 80's. Fuel tanks everywhere, sheepskin on the modified seat, cut down windshield for better fuel mileage, etc. That was part of a 10,000 miles in 10 days challenge.
I don't ride those long stretches now, I prefer to slow the pace down and actually see what is around me. I stop at any opportunity to see anything that interests me. Don't get me wrong I will still do an 800 mile day if I need to be somewhere but I would rather plan the trip to where I don't actually positively have to do that.
I no longer enjoy the planning of those very long days, plans need to be made for quick fuel and food stops along with routes and alternates in case of weather, traffic or any other issues you might encounter. It took me a month to plan the 10,000 mile trip (back when we didn't have computers yet).
Long trips boil down to, do you enjoy it or is it something you have to do for whatever reason. Mental attitude plays a large part in your ability to perform at the level needed to accomplish the long mile days safely. If you are doing it for fun or personal accomplishment it is much easier than if you must get somewhere for whatever reason. But no matter what==ENJOY THE RIDE

Prowler

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I did exactly one, 1,000 mile day, to see if I could do it. I was also close to home returning from a trip and was at 900 miles with several hours left. Checked that box off.

Personally, I would rather have my teeth filled without novacane, than to spend that much time droning down easy roads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We would love to see you at the rally WaterPig83. All are welcome. Come along for another fantastic motorcycle adventure with many like minded riders. No better place to ride in this world that we have found.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Waterpig83

We will be coming up from the coast taking the trace to Nashville starting the friday before. there will be 3 of us part of the time. pm me for my contact info if you want to join us for a 10 day mans ride to the rally

41 - 60 of 90 Posts