StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2020 Eastern Vstrom Rally......May 14-May 17, 2020

Guess it's time again to start planning (or, at least dreaming??) about next year's 18th Annual Eastern Vstrom Rally/Gathering. As of this posting, the Venue will again be The Iron Horse Campground/Lodge in Stecoah, NC ……...just like the previous dozen or so years. Last year, we saw (and met) the New Owners of The Iron Horse.....along with some facility changes from previous years. Some changes were viewed as "positive", some were not well received. "Change", in itself, may not always be received as a "good thing"...….but is almost inevitable in today's world. Rates will probably be a tad higher than last year's, cancellation policies may be different, we may see MORE property improvements evident than last years' event, maybe a new + improved Bunkhouse (near the pond) to replace the small existing, "weathered" unit. Maybe more RV sites/parking?? Not sure we know what will be in store by next Spring?? But, some things will NOT change: the hundreds of miles of great Georgia/NC/Tenn riding roads, the unpredictable weather forecast, lodging by most standards (i.e. we know what we are getting as far as the rooms/furnishings), the friends made (and reunited) at events like this, and the love for a certain brand of motorcycle and/or the type of riders we are.

I know a few of you who attended last year, said you may not return in 2020 to the Iron Horse. Should that be the case, I believe everyone will respect your decision. We hear mumblings every year "what if we staged the Rally at a different site next year"...….we ALL think that at some time or another, mainly to keep the event from growing "stale" or just a repeat of last year's event. But, we need concrete ideas of where else to have such an event: can accommodate 100 riders, have primative camping, has cabins/rooms for rent, RV parking, a Lodge/Meeting Area for congregating, and a facility who is capable of feeding us...…..PLUS a A+++ riding area within an hour or so of the venue. If you have an idea of a place that might include all these "wants"..... contact them, see what they have to offer, get rates, and report back to the forum.

Stalky Tracker (Roy) has already redesigned the rally website for next year...…..he also starts his Christmas shopping in March, and is probably finished by June. See what he has done here, and send the website a notice if you plan to come next May. We will also start an attendee list here on this thread later, but respond to the website first, please. As usual, we need volunteers to help with the Rally: speakers, topics of discussion, events??, anything to make the rally better than last years...….and previous years!! (a hard act to follow sometimes).

https://www.easternvstromrally.com/

https://ironhorsenc.com/

This thread is just a tickler to get the Rally Juices flowing before a Long Winter's Nap. If you are planning to make reservations at The Iron Horse, please do so ASAP. Come mid-January, they open the reservations up to other groups.
Hope you/your's have a Very Merry Christmas.....and Blessed Happy New Year!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had a great time last year, and it’s the people that make this event great. Looking forward to the 2020 gathering. Thanks to all the folks that give their time and talent towards making the gathering happen, not to mention all the folks that ride out and participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
@mark444 I finished my Christmas shopping in early July. All are wrapped and under the tree. I guess I shouldn't have bought my tree then too, it looks kinda brown and the needles are all gone. :)

At least now I can devote my time to planning my route to Stecoah NC and shoveling snow.

It's early but we already have 18 folks signed up.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Stalky Tracker

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I am thinking this may be the year to finally part with the bike and hang it all up. I really have enjoyed the last three rallys guys. One of the highlights of my year.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,154 Posts
I am thinking this may be the year to finally part with the bike and hang it all up. I really have enjoyed the last three rallys guys. One of the highlights of my year.
No worries, only you know when that is the right decision.
But having a bike...well I cannot see anywhere in the rally rules where having a bike is required for attendance!:)

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Sorry to hear it, but that time will probably come for all of us. But as @realshelby says come anyway you like or can and you'll be welcome.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@mark444 I finished my Christmas shopping in early July. All are wrapped and under the tree. I guess I shouldn't have bought my tree then too, it looks kinda brown and the needles are all gone. :)

At least now I can devote my time to planning my route to Stecoah NC and shoveling snow.

It's early but we already have 18 folks signed up.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Stalky Tracker
I am ready for May. Retired this year and need to get my IronHorse fix . No matter what you like to ride or how you ride, the area around the IronHorse has something to offer everyone. Fair warning, Prowler will be riding a lot more routes this year. Hope to see all the regulars and a bunch of new folks too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello all. It appears my vacation has been approved! So the wife and I will be joining this year.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!

TShirt Signup Sheet: 2020 Rally T-Shirt Signup Sheet
Prices generally run in the $15 range, depending on the size of order.
I will close the signup sheet April 18, 2020 @Noon central time.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reminder: Make your Reservation ASAP if you want to be guaranteed a place to sleep at The Iron Horse...…..unless you are tent camping. The nights in Stecoah can get mighty chilly in May...….and/or wet...…...and/or hot...…….snowy...…...etc, etc. Weather there is NOT predictable!! If you like a roof over your head to sleep under, I suggest you make your Reservation and don't put it off. You can always sub-rent to reservation to another attendee if you need to cancel at the last minute?

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another reminder: go to the Rally website and let Roy (Stalky Tracker) know that you "plan" on attending......allows us to plan for the event better. A Tshirt sign-up list will be generated in the near future. If anyone wants to conduct a short technical seminar on anything vstrom related, please post up here...…..to see what kind of interests might be out there. It can be held upstairs after a nightly meeting (as Realshelby does with his excellent Clutch Ch-Ch-Chudder Seminars)...or can be held in the parking lot using a real bike. you can pick anyone's bike to tear down as long as it is NOT a 2008 Yellow Wee...….
o_O

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Well, I finally made it back in to the new forum site......sigh....the older I get, the more I dislike relearning these forum updates.

Bitching complete (for now).......I called IH today and got the last bunkhouse room (in the BH across the creek-the 2 story cabin). To my other 3 BH neighbors.......I will try to behave myself. Please forgive the Tenere parked out front too (I have poor taste in bikes ya know). I hope to get there early, but will update as my work schedule gets firmed up.

Personally, I really like IH and stay there several times a year. I like keeping the trooper rally there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just put my reservation in. Don’t like the new cancelation policy, but can understand the issues the weather can cause with motorcycle reservations in that area. I hope they give the band the week off when we are there, I love music when there are not tons of interesting folks to talk to.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just put my reservation in. Don’t like the new cancelation policy, but can understand the issues the weather can cause with motorcycle reservations in that area. I hope they give the band the week off when we are there, I love music when there are not tons of interesting folks to talk to.

I for one agree with Skew, we talk too much to listen to a band, at least I do. Between all of the Strom activities the route planning and all of the catching up with riding friends and the upstairs talks I don't think we would notice a band playing anyway.
STCorndog, We try to improve the Rally each year. I think all of you Strom riders (and other makes) make it easy. You all just go with the flow. We have seen several new riders joining the group in the past few years and welcome their input on anything that would keep the Rally fun and interesting.
Bill C. and myself plan to do more riding this year than in the past. I would like to do some mild dirt this time around but Bill might still have a shoulder issue that eliminates the dirt for him. We will see.
Come one come all and lets have another fantastic Rally in the Smokies. I can't wait.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
My fellow riders due to my expansive 20,000 km trip this summer 2020 my pension funds are limited.
  1. I must say my experience at IH 2019 rally was nothing short of spectacular and the ride from Northern Ontario and back home was some of the best riding I have encountered. I found the 2019 rally well organized from start to finish and praise to the organizers for spending more time, effort and probably money than most of us realize.
So that being said I will not be in attendance this year.
If one of my Ontario mates would bring back a t shirt for me I'll ride down and pick it up.
E transfer available.
Ride safe
Tim "the drifter"

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm thinking this will make a good mans trip out this year. Last year we brought the RV and camper up to the event and had a great time. However it just wasn't long enough to really enjoy fully. 4 days is not enough. The wives are not as interested this year, so Duane and I may make it a 10 day outing this time. We're thinking of starting from the Gulf coast a week earlier, riding up the Natchez Trace to Nashville, them over to Stecoach for the Rally. we will tent camp along the way and see how far we can make it up the Blue Ridge Parkway and back before the rally. Plans are not concrete yet but working on setting them in stone as time gets closer.

JG

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm going to try and make it again this year. Tinnitus is really bugging me right now and I've been taking it easy on the bike due to spinal issues. These aren't helping my motorcycle lifestyle at all. :confused:

Sure would be nice to roll into the Iron Horse on a new 2020 1050 this year. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I'm going to try to make it this year. I requested reservations for a tent site but it's not a sure thing by any means. My work and monetary situation is in flux these days and could easily mess up my plans. I'm going to think positively though and try to make it happen. :rolleyes:(y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts