Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BOLD NEW GRAPHICS.

Those panniers look photo shopped on.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
From what I have heard from those on the SV sites that race/track bike the SV 650, that engine isn't really set up to make it larger. Not without some pretty big changes to strengthen the engine cases and crankshafts.

But there is NOTHING stopping Suzuki from offering a DL 650 with the DL 1000 suspension and brakes. Call that the "XTA" ( A for a play on the GS Adventure branding) and price accordingly. That bike would be a really nice small Adventure Bike. Keep the cheaper model available for a price point. I will bet the XT would outsell the base model and increase overall sales.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
From what I have heard from those on the SV sites that race/track bike the SV 650, that engine isn't really set up to make it larger. Not without some pretty big changes to strengthen the engine cases and crankshafts.

But there is NOTHING stopping Suzuki from offering a DL 650 with the DL 1000 suspension and brakes. Call that the "XTA" ( A for a play on the GS Adventure branding) and price accordingly. That bike would be a really nice small Adventure Bike. Keep the cheaper model available for a price point. I will bet the XT would outsell the base model and increase overall sales.
My guess is the 1000 sales overall would be hurt were that to occur, as many "myself included" would buy the 650 every time over the 1000.

Reactions: Motor7

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
So no changes except color. Expected.

I agree, add 10-15 HP, maybe 5-10 TQ, fix the lame brakes and suspension, and I'll migrate from my new 1000 :grin2:

·
Registered
398 Posts
So no changes except color. Expected.

I agree, add 10-15 HP, maybe 5-10 TQ, fix the lame brakes and suspension, and I'll migrate from my new 1000 :grin2:
Recommend my project: 2001 - 2006 Honda CBR 600F4 Nissin front calipers, steel front brake lines, Nissin Radial MC and MC banjo bleeder. I did have to order some parts from Galfer to make the new MC fit, but a new MC isn't really all that necessary. Just gives the new brakes a more linear feel. Incredible difference in braking performance.

I have an extra L side Nissin CBR front caliper for sale if anyone is interested, as I (D.A.) accidentally ordered two L sides initially. It's brand new untouched. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm just curious because I started out with a Vulcan 500 got tired of that quickly and for the next 6 years I bought a new used bike every year because they quickly got to under-powered for me except for the Suzuki M109 I had but my shoulder arthritis made me give that up. I found a more comfortable bike in the V-Strom 1000. I never even gave the 650 a thought because of the small engine , things I heard and because there are so many of the 650 for sale unlike the 1000. I'd like the 1000 to go up to at least 1200 cc . Curious that over the years I have noticed that there are a lot of fans for the 650 V-Strom and I'm curious to know why and what I may be missing. What is the big draw to stick with the 650 , height, weight , design , colors , speed or costs . I'm not knocking the 650 in any way I think people will ride whatever they like as it should be I'm just curious to know why the 650 V-Strom is so popular.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I'm just curious because I started out with a Vulcan 500 got tired of that quickly and for the next 6 years I bought a new used bike every year because they quickly got to under-powered for me except for the Suzuki M109 I had but my shoulder arthritis made me give that up. I found a more comfortable bike in the V-Strom 1000. I never even gave the 650 a thought because of the small engine , things I heard and because there are so many of the 650 for sale unlike the 1000. I'd like the 1000 to go up to at least 1200 cc . Curious that over the years I have noticed that there are a lot of fans for the 650 V-Strom and I'm curious to know why and what I may be missing. What is the big draw to stick with the 650 , height, weight , design , colors , speed or costs . I'm not knocking the 650 in any way I think people will ride whatever they like as it should be I'm just curious to know why the 650 V-Strom is so popular.
I've owned 2 650's and 2 1000's so I think I can give you a somewhat qualified opinion.

The 650 is lighter, the engine is more rev happy and likes to be higher in the RPM then the 1000. It's got a lower seat height and the handlebars are narrower. it is much cheaper to buy, insure and operate. It gets better gas mileage and does not require premium.

The main reason to get the 1000 for me is 2up riding, it handles it much better. If I didn't have a wife and kids who love to ride with me I would not own the 1000. The 650 is just way more economical. The 1000 is better in every other way though, it has better suspension, handles better, faster, stops quicker, etc. But the 650 is close in all areas.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Three different reasons. Weight, weight, and weight. And I almost forgot about weight. I up'd to a 16T front, and I can still pull onto the highway or tackle the twisties with the best of them. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tour with big BMW GS's and have never been embarrassed with the DL650. More than holds its own with top box, 2 panniers and soft bag on rear seat. Twisty motorcycle roads great stuff. Excellent tire wear and fuel economy. Also have my GSX1400 which I have had for 12 years but DL seems to be the go to bike.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Similar answer to the above. The 650 is more versatile than the 1000 is and has no vices . It's lighter, it's better in traffic (far better in traffic) has a far smoother engine and gets 10-30% better mpg.

I have both in the garage, 2012 650 with 130,000k's on it and a 2014 DL 1000 with 30,000. The 650 has done serious off road duties and I've taken the 1000 off road inadvertently (30k's of road reconstruction), it felt nicer than the 650 up until - and then the weight was REALLY noticeable. I didn't drop it, but I'd need to be a lot taller and stronger than I am to risk taking it off road deliberately.

The 1000 does shine on the long road hauls, it's heavier and more stable and can pass where the 650 struggles. Fairly confident I've never actually gone faster on the 1000 than I could on the 650, probably got there sooner though ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks to everyone for all your feed back and now I think I'm beginning to understand the 650's popularity and I like what i'm hearing and I agree with a lot of what you are saying but the deal breaker for me is the speed. For me to be completely happy it sounds like I need to have both the 650 for easier off roading and the 1000 for the speed I crave on pavement. Since I have been thinking of doing more off road next year I'm going to have to start putting away money so I can buy a good used 650 as a 2nd bike just for off roading adventures.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
If offroad is close buy something smaller and lighter for that. I got the DL 650 because the nearest dirt roads are around 80km from me, the really fun ones around 200ks.

The 650 was a good compromise for MY riding conditions and it was surprisingly capable, but a bike with half the power and less weight would have been easier and faster on the dirt. It was getting there and back that was the problem.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Stillfree.....speed is relative mate :) !
The 2017+ 650 engines have around 10 percent more hp and torque than earlier motors.
My 2017 will happily run at 80mph all day getting 42mpg. I would suggest you take one out into the twisties and it might just change your mind about the lighter bike/smaller motor. It will also handle two-up riding quite well, with sufficient power and a comfortable seat and position for your passenger.

I went thru the whole 650 and 1000 displacement/weight/power thing and, after evaluation of my wants and needs, happily chose the 650. Haven't regretted my choice one bit.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts