StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this bike a few weeks ago. I have read the manual , looked at U-tube videos, and just came from the dealer.
That being said I am still confused as to when to use the TC-1 or the TC-2. I am getting the impression that one would be best in sand/gravel, and another for wet pavement. I have decided to check in with the people who use it.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
TC-2 when wet , TC-1 when riding where some sand or gravel is in the curves and OFF when conditions are good. Thats what works for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just leave it in TC2 all the time, street only. I don't see any drawback to doing so. It activated briefly once as I was accelerating from a light and rode over a wet manhole cover. Only knew because I saw the indicator flicker.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm a TC1 fan.

I rode in the rain (and in snow on ice covered roads) without TC at all so don't mind the bike sliding a bit. TC1 is fairly unobtrusive but very effective and I'll concede probably has saved me from a few spills on my DL1000 so I'm happy to leave it on.

I've only been in one situation where I think I'd have had to turn TC completely off and that was a rocky water crossing with baby head rocks covered in rock snot. Plenty of time on that one because even on my older 650 with no TC at all I wasn't going anywhere fast.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I left my 650 and now my 1000 in TC1 mostly because I don't want to see the TC light on all the time.

Never noticed it activate even when lofting the front wheel. The ABS light does come on when the wheel leaves the ground though. :geek:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I don't use TC ever, I have 27 bikes in the shed and my V2 is the only bike with TC never relying on TC is a skill that is learnt over many many years and becomes second nature, I do not want to loose any of that nature, if I was to relax in any way my MT09 would kill me. (same for ABS)

Unlike Spec my front wheel only has to leave the road by a inch or two when the TC kicks in and slams the front back down to earth, it takes away some of the fun of riding a motorcycle.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
TC-2 when wet , TC-1 when riding where some sand or gravel is in the curves and OFF when conditions are good. Thats what works for me.
Sorry buddy, this makes no sense to me. So, when you are rounding that curve and come up quick on a driveway that has washed its gravel out in the road.....do you then through super human speed and powers have time to put the bike in TC-1. Which on my Tenere requires the bike to be stopped to switch.

Not me, stick that puppy in nanny mode and save the other settings for riding off-road.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
If I had 27 bikes in my shed without ABS and TC, I would be having a shed sale.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
I'm not super human for sure, but I have rode and raced enough dirt bikes over the years to not totally lose it when a certain amount of sand or dirt is in a curve. In unknown areas do diligence and a TC-2 is always best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I paid for it, so I'd better use it! :)
TC-2 always on, never activated until now, in 6000 miles.

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
I have always thought of TC1 as the normal traction control setting and TC2 as rain and snow mode. I rarely turn it off (mode 0) except when I want to wheelie. I can see dirt riders wanting to leave it off so they can power slide but that isn't something I do.

..Tom

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
I hit a patch of sand/gravel in a corner on a mountain road in the Eastern Sierras on my 04 Wee, No TC and I just rode it out I didn't vary the throttle and looked ahead to the edge of the road where a berm was building. Damn Graders. Looking to where I wanted to go and I made it through without a hint of a slip but I was repeating F__K, F__K the whole time.
My eyes got big for a while though.
Corndog I've had up to 7 bikes in the garage at one time, it's not hard to do. Just don't sell anything for a while. If you have the means, why not. You gonna send Jay Leno a letter and tell him to clear out the warehouses he has?

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
For those of you relying on technology to keep you safe what happens if it fails ?

Many years ago the company I worked for sent me on a advanced driving course.

Because I was the young gun the instructors used me for the first demonstration fully expecting me to fail.

They set up a chicane with red cones and wet the road, I was to come down the hill, stand on the brakes and drive through the chicane without hitting any cones.

The expectation was I would lock the brakes and slide through the cones.

I didn't, I modulated the brakes, drove through the chicane and stopped in the box.

The instructor asked who taught you to drive like that ? "like what"

To modulate the brake pedal ? "my dad taught me to drive"

Where did you learn to drive ? "in the bush" that's it.

You have a in built ABS that you got from driving in the bush "I had no idea"

It was a skill I had never give a second thought, I just though everybody had it.

I spend a lot of time maintaining that skill and all my learnt skills I have built over the 50 years I have been riding and driving so I don't need to rely on technology, it may not always be available.

"I do get it wrong sometimes" but you don't know your limits or the bikes till you get there, having 27 bikes means the limits are always changing.

Others may think I'm putting myself at risk but I think I'm putting the fun into motorcycling, I don't commute, I ride for fun, power slides and wheel stands keep me young.

Reactions: notacop
1 - 15 of 15 Posts