StromTrooper banner

2020 1050 Service Interval Reset

90K views 165 replies 57 participants last post by  planedoc1958 
#1 ·
I just completed my 600 mile service and noticed that the owners manual said to contact a Suzuki dealer to reset the service interval.

I gave my local shop a call and they stated that it needs to be plugged into their computer to be reset.

I’m wondering if any of you have taken it to the shop to have this done and if they charged you to reset it if you did the service yourself? Also, is there a work around for resetting this yet?

#45 ·
I added a 20A switch to a paperclip to see if waiting until after the initial power surge would help. It didn't. I blew the ignition fuse no matter when I flipped the switch and still never got to the reset screen. Has anyone figured out what the successful guys are doing differently?

#46 ·
I have to do that reset to remove the key but I am confused the photos are different, some are above and one below, so I think and conclude that to burn a fuse is because there was a short circuit which gives me to understand that a shot It has a positive charge, if before performing the connection bridging exercise we test with a tester if there is a positive charge we would be evaluating the terminals for resetting which should not have a charge to do the baypass

#50 ·
I'm happy to report that I was able to reset the service reminder but unfortunately I don't know why it worked this time and only blew fuses before. Aside from having plenty of fuses on hand, everything else was the same. Same paperclip with a switch, same slots as YouTube and Skinner pics. I don't think the switch is necessary but it doesn't hurt so I will attach a photo. I think it is just hit and miss with a paperclip so I'll try to find the proper tabs.

The service reminder can be pushed out as far as one year or 7500 miles.

Good luck to everyone and please let us know what works for you.

#51 · (Edited)
I'm happy to report that I was able to reset the service reminder but unfortunately I don't know why it worked this time and only blew fuses before. Aside from having plenty of fuses on hand, everything else was the same. Same paperclip with a switch, same slots as YouTube and Skinner pics. I don't think the switch is necessary but it doesn't hurt so I will attach a photo. I think it is just hit and miss with a paperclip so I'll try to find the proper tabs.

The service reminder can be pushed out as far as one year or 7500 miles.

Good luck to everyone and please let us know what works for you.
Iirc earlier pictures showed the shorted out pins to be on the same row. Yours shows one at the top left and bottom right.

Edit: or is that just a bad angle on a blurry part of the picture?

Was that what worked? Did you ignition on then trigger the switch or have it activated when you turned on the ignition?

Would be great to know as I should be doing my 12,000 km oil change this weekend.

..Tom

#54 ·
@moglink

I think I'm missing something: How did you get to the service screen before you shorted out the connection?

..Tom

#56 ·
I forgot it even existed. I can check my manual when I get to my bike but can you remind me how to get there?

..Tom

#57 · (Edited)
I am still clumsy at navigating the screen but I think I can. [Push mode button until SDMS, TC, ABS are NOT lit up.] Hold mode button until a menu comes up. Tap up or down arrows to scroll through. Hold down arrow for 2 seconds to select your option. Move around tapping the arrows and holding the down arrow to make your changes and save them. When you want to get out of there, hold the up arrow for 2 seconds. Ignition off if you want to start over.

I think that's how it works. Could be forgetting something.

[clarification in brackets]

#58 ·
@mogthanks!. That sounds familiar. I did it for initial setup and haven't touched it since.

Thanks!

..Tom

#62 ·
Got it from my dealer. Was a little expensive at $118 cdn but I liked the factory look. I plugged it into the dealer mode plug and zip tied it under the seat.
Parts department didn’t have any idea of what the part number was or what it was for.
I had to provide the part number and explain to the parts guy how it is used.
Got the part number from this discussion, but can provide if u need it

Did the same for my 2014 in order to diagnose issues when travelling. Shows trouble code on dash.

#64 ·
Can’t take credit for discovering part number as “Dave MP” did all the work and posted pictures on this thread (Post #24 - 4 months ago) of the switch and part number.

part number is 09930-83130 Known as “Dealer mode switch?”

if you follow this thread it appears that this part number may be valid only for North American model as the correct pins are different on European models.

As I say, works really well but is pretty pricey for what it is. you can duplicate what it does with a paper clip or piece of wire but I like that this fits properly and can be left installed under the seat.

Do not expect your parts guy to know what this part does or be able to find it in his/her parts fiche. I had to provide part number and explain what it was for.

Hope that helps..
Cheers!

Tom

#65 ·
Thanks!

I just ordered from my dealer. They are pretty good and found it in a few seconds on their system. It is at the warehouse so should be at my dealer fairly quickly. I hope to do my 24,000 km oil change this weekend.

If you read earlier in this thread some of us could not work it with the paperclip method (which worked fine on my 2015 DL1000.) The paperclip just kept blowing fuses. I was at Suzuki Canada HQ back in September and they had the tool and we were able to reset it in a few seconds.

..Tom

#69 ·
I worked late today and after work rode to my dealership and picked up the dealer mode switch. I haven't tried it yet.

..Tom

#71 ·
First service is primarily an oil and filter change and checking tightness of fasteners, chain, etc.
$340 seems pretty expensive - especially in American dollars.

Did my own oil/filter change for $40 Canadian, roughly $30 American, reset my own service interval, checked my own fasteners, chain and brake pad wear and called it a day. Makes the investment in a “dealer mode switch“ seem like a economic thing to do In my mind.

#73 ·
First service is primarily an oil and filter change and checking tightness of fasteners, chain, etc.
$340 seems pretty expensive - especially in American dollars.
Depending on the location, shop time can be shockingly expensive. My local Aprilia/Duc shop quoted US$175/hour. Even my local scooter mechanic runs $80/hour nowadays.

#74 ·
The wrench made another appearance but I had no problem resetting it with the paperclip/switch I used before. It seems to me that a standard paperclip is all it takes; meaning the switch isn't necessary. Benthiesing's video in post #9 showed that months ago.* Notice that his wire is centered in the slots.* I'm pretty sure my 3 blown fuses were a result of bad contact and hitting the center of the slots made the difference. Good luck.