StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this model have room for a skid plate given that the Touring has a lower cowling? Not sure if it would accept one w/o removing the cowling? I actually like the look of it and would like to keep it on if possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
That is so much like the Weld86 plate. Lower price too.
None of this removal stuff though. I just left the oil drain into a pan and give the plate a wipe with a couple paper towels to sop up any pooling oil.
Keeps the Aluminum from rusting too.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
"FYI, aluminum can't rust."

Yay, you win the sharpest tack award!

"it'll keep it from oxidizing, too!"

If it weren't powder coated it would and heavily oxidized alunimum is a booger to get shiny again.
Ever polish up an old Air Stream?:wink2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it weren't powder coated it would and heavily oxidized alunimum is a booger to get shiny again.
Ever polish up an old Air Stream?
Polish an Airstream? Heck, I don't even wax the paint on my Strom's fuel tank.

I'm perfectly OK with being shamed for having a dull, oxidized bash plate. :grin2:

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
If you don't wipe off the spilled oil it won't oxidize.
When I had an Ariel, Brit Bike, I used to use Semi Chrome and Never Dull to polish the engine parts and chrome.
No mo!
With Aerostich tank panniers and a tank bag, there isn't much tank to see and polish.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the Happy Trails skid plate, it allowed me to keep the lower cowling installed and had the option for highway pegs. Customer support was great. They promptly answered questions and sent me new bolts to replace ones I messed up on installation. Gratis

https://www.happy-trail.com/happy-trails-v-strom-skid-plate-dl650.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Urban - HT are one of the better looking ones IMO. Do you have to remove it to change oil/filter?

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Yes it needs removing. Easy 4 bolts.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
"FYI, aluminum can't rust."

Yay, you win the sharpest tack award!

"it'll keep it from oxidizing, too!"

Ever polish up an old Air Stream?:wink2:
Yes a 33' one that my parents had. First time I was 13 and it took me a week by hand. 5 years later my dad bought a large buffer when he started doing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts