StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a SpeedoDRD and I need access to the wiring harness in back of the instrument cluster. Has anyone figured out how to get the plastic off? I don't want to snap off any plastic clips..

·
Registered
239 Posts
The manual, which is available as a pdf, has a few good tips, but I would strongly recommend you look at DrVStrom's videos on U tube. His videos move nice and slowly and he is quite good about showing you some of the more detailed tricks for getting things apart without damaging them. He covers this plastic remove for the 2017+ years in his gas tank lifting/ removal vids. I just used them myself the other day.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I am installing a SpeedoDRD and I need access to the wiring harness in back of the instrument cluster. Has anyone figured out how to get the plastic off? I don't want to snap off any plastic clips..
It's really easy and straight forward, do you have a specific piece you are having trouble with? . Just take the bolts out, I believe it's only 2 push pins, You can also take the bolt out of the tank under the seat, and use the piece under it to prop it up and get enough room to run wires.

also what I do, is use a lot of sandwich bags, put all the bolts from the piece of plastic I just removed in it and leave it with the plastic piece.

This is by far the easiest bike to work on I've ever owned with the exception of my DRZ400S.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I used Doctor Vstroms video too. Very methodical. Thanks Dr Vstrom , hope you keep making them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's a lot less difficult than taking off all the plastic to get to the point where you can take the tank off. That's necessary to do simple things like changing spark plugs and the air filter, normal necessary maintenance. Find a Youtube video or better yet spring for a shop manual. I've had all the plastic off front and rear multiple times to install farkles multiple times, and to do normal required maintenance The more you do it, the easier and routine it gets. Don't let it intimidate you.
And if you think the DL650 is bad, I also own a 2018 Goldwing. Mountains to molehills. LOL! Don't let this stuff give you pause. It's only screws, nuts, and bolts. Not rocket science. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts