StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for the arrival of my '19 Vstrom 650, I purchased from Eastern Beaver the OEM heated grips connector harness. All I found was this:

Which is the "accessory socket" as per Eastern Beaver's site.

The harness that I bought for the OEM heated grips connector looks like this:

I need help finding it. It doesn't seem to be there. I've seen this picture posted here but can't seem to find it.

Any help finding it is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the side panels to the tank and still couldn't find it.. oh well, I'll use the accessory socket.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm not completely familiar with the newer bikes, but if you remove the radiator bolts you may be able to move it enough to locate the connector. Mine was nearly dead center on the bike and would have been difficult to get to from the side until I freed it up.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I removed the side panels to the tank and still couldn't find it.. oh well, I'll use the accessory socket.
No man! Keep digging. It's there. Just not obvious. I found mine by getting horizontal on the ground and looking around the radiator at different angles! You'll want that accessory socket one day :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok.. will try again tomorrow..

btw, they changed the turn signal flasher unit, it's now behind the battery and a 2 spade lugs at 90 degrees to each other.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok.. will try again tomorrow..

If you locate it, I’d like to know where. I just had my ‘18 in pieces trying to find the heated grips connector with no luck. I also found the accessory plug you referenced and on another thread on this forum I saw some discussion that Suzi may have changed the heated grips plug for the 17+ to the accessory plug and changed the wiring because of the existence of the accessory socket on the dash?? Anyway, I searched hard and was moving the radiator around quite a bit with no success. I’d like to know if anyone got the OEM heated grips and did the install themselves. It be nice to know what style plug the 17+ grips come with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am not sure what the question is exactly. The first picture of the OP shows the 2017-2018 650 accessory plug. This is what you use for the grips. The Eastern beaver cable shown in the second picture seems to have the wrong plug. The plug you need is called Sumitomo “MT” or something like that.
Btw: the accessory plug has a dummy male plug on it, which can be confusing. I posted some pictures on a different thread.
I would venture a guess that the 2019 is the same.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the Sumitomo plug from Eastern Beaver and gave up on finding the other one. I'm not going to remove the fuel tank to look for it.

Ultimately, instead of ordering the plug from Eastern Beaver pictured in my first pic, I could have cut it off and soldered in its place an SAE plug and did the same to the heated grips harness, but I decided to use what's on the bike already.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I ordered the Sumitomo plug from Eastern Beaver and gave up on finding the other one. I'm not going to remove the fuel tank to look for it.

Ultimately, instead of ordering the plug from Eastern Beaver pictured in my first pic, I could have cut it off and soldered in its place an SAE plug and did the same to the heated grips harness, but I decided to use what's on the bike already.
Glad it worked out. I don’t know of any other accessory/heater grip plug. I think this is the one for the 2017/2018 650s. I bought a ten-pack of the Sumitomos, both male and female. They are easy to work with. I have since hooked up a Garmin Zumo and an accessory lights relay trigger cable in addition to the heated grips, all using these connectors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts