StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am new to the forum but am looking for some advice, am looking to buy a 2019 Vstrom 650 xt
It has 40,000 miles on it , should i be concerned / worried , the bike looks good & all consumable are OK (tyres / chain/sprockets)
Just the mileage has me questioning (looking for €6000) Photo attached

Guys you have a lot more experience than myself so your thoughts ??
many thanks in advance
Jay

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
They've been known to do 300,000miles. The 650's are starting to need maintenance at around 80,000k's, the 1000's as far as I know will last a very long time with normal maintainenance and if not abused.

No idea what the price SHOULD be for that, but looking for second hand bikes online should tell you the ballpark. The other good news, it's done those miles in relatively few years which likely means long rides - which again is good for life compared to being ridden now and then on weekends or just down to the shops.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the miles, mine just flipped 100K miles yesterday, still runs strong, basic maintenance, no (expensive) problems. I'd rather buy a bike that has been ridden, sitting often times creates more problems. Service record would be good to see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 26,000 miles on my '19 650XT with absolutely no problems. Routine maintenance and just now changed sprockets/chain.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree. Service history and, if it is at a dealer, ask them if it was a trade-in or an auction bike.
If you can, ask for the name of the previous owner and call him. I've done that before and they tend to be pretty helpful.

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
249 Posts
The previous owner of that bike sure did ride....A LOT! I agree with PeteW, those are highly likely to be long distance highway miles, which is good. Nobody puts those kinds of miles just going to the local Pub or weekend day rides. Just make sure it wasn't used as a courier bike.

It's hard not to ride the VStrom's long distances because they are so good at it, and so comfortable.

·
Administrator
14,311 Posts
Fwiw I put over 202,000 km on my 2006 DL650 and 137,000 on my 2012 DL650.

Both bikes never had any engine issues and were only replaced because I liked what Suzuki did with the newer models.

..Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my 2012 with 46,000 miles on it and it now has 68,000 or 109,000 kms. Not one problem, just oil and tires. Changed the air filter and spark plugs at the same time once.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Nobody puts those kinds of miles just going to the local Pub
Oh I dunno, George Jones might have if he'd been a biker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts