StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 770 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'll be camping if I can some, hopefully I can nab a good spot before they are all gone by the time I arrive? :frown2:
I park in the tent spots. Usually around 30% full. I'll sleep in the tent or in the Jeep. Cheap and about 150 ft from the bathrooms.

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
Brian, keep me posted, if you go I will meet you there, without a Strom of course, but I'm sure the beast would fit right in.

If the stars align.....and they should align. :smile2: Been looking forward to meeting you for a good while, hopefully this is finally the time!

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Want to make two wheels of suches and stay there a night too. Ride around the area.

https://youtu.be/u4ExxGzwE_o

Looks like around 100 miles away, if some people want to make a day ride out of it. :smile2:
DT.......you will like Suches........nice, improved campground/lodge of what it use to be 10-15 yrs ago. The new owners have poured a lot of $$$ into their establishment. They have camping cabins, primitive camping, and I believe rooms in the lodge. The food was good there back in April when I went (Vintage Bike Gathering). REALLY great riding roads in that area!!

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rally TShirts and Stickers...........

Buck83 (Justin) has stepped up to the plate again for 2019, and will be in charge of Rally Tshirt Design and Procuring........as well as the 2019 Rally Sticker. He did a great job last year on both, and will again do the "honors" this year. Shirt Cost is TBD......will depend on how many sign-up for one. The more shirts we order, the cheaper per shirt they become. See the attached "link" below on reserving your shirt this year:

Rally Tshirt Reservation

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16coeuRZvbdUVNUrzwPmAr_uxTT0nUZTB9kW19H727RE/edit#gid=0

·
Registered
94 Posts
After a month of being furloughed I have "unfortunately" been picked up at a new UP location and probably won't be getting any time off this year. With that said my wife and I both plan on riding to the 2020 Rally.

Last year a few were more than generous with the sticker donations. So this year I will use that and cover the remaining cost of stickers, so they will be free of charge.

I am not opposed to doing Rally shirts again this year. Typically they run in the $15 range depending on participation (the more people the cheaper). Since I most likely won't be attending those with PayPal can send their portion when we get a definitive number. Otherwise I will see about having Mark handle the funds at the rally.

Shirt sign up sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16coeuRZvbdUVNUrzwPmAr_uxTT0nUZTB9kW19H727RE/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If the stars align.....and they should align. :smile2: Been looking forward to meeting you for a good while, hopefully this is finally the time!
I will do my absolute best to get there!

·
Registered
685 Posts
After a month of being furloughed I have "unfortunately" been picked up at a new UP location and probably won't be getting any time off this year. With that said my wife and I both plan on riding to the 2020 Rally.

Last year a few were more than generous with the sticker donations. So this year I will use that and cover the remaining cost of stickers, so they will be free of charge.

I am not opposed to doing Rally shirts again this year. Typically they run in the $15 range depending on participation (the more people the cheaper). Since I most likely won't be attending those with PayPal can send their portion when we get a definitive number. Otherwise I will see about having Mark handle the funds at the rally.

Shirt sign up sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16coeuRZvbdUVNUrzwPmAr_uxTT0nUZTB9kW19H727RE/edit?usp=sharing
I'm in for 2! (xxl and one medium)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Well damn Buck83, spring is cold and flu season dude.

It took some emailing back and forth with IH, but I got my confirmation back yesterday on my bed in the Bunkhouse across the creek from the lodge (the best one). I plan on coming down on Wednesday if weather is good and staying past the Rally for a trip up the Blueridge Parkway. This semi-retirement thing is working out well.

Weather here has been warm and no salt on roads. Racking up the miles this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm really hoping I will be able to see all of you this year.
Spokes (Rich), we need your set of ears to soak up all of Bill's stories.......PLEASE don't miss the event and make US listen to all his stuff....again........we will need some RELIEF!!!!! Hope Santa in Houston was good to you, shoot me and Stalky an email (or PM) when you feel up to it giving us the lowdown.......... :kiss:
Email: [email protected] :fineprint:

·
Registered
49 Posts
This will be my first year attending. I have rode the area many times on my Harley but the Strom is still some what new to me so as long as no mechanical issues arise I will be there ! I will be riding down from Ashland KY if any one would like to ride along !

·
Super Moderator
16,867 Posts
This will be my first year attending. I have rode the area many times on my Harley but the Strom is still some what new to me so as long as no mechanical issues arise I will be there ! I will be riding down from Ashland KY if any one would like to ride along !

It's a great time, and we are always working on a 1000 during the weekend it seems. :grin2:

·
Registered
403 Posts
This will be my first time attending as well. Like you, I've ridden the area many times on a Harley. But I've also ridden it a couple of times on the Strom. I can tell you, the Strom is way more fun on those roads.

I'll be coming down from northern KY (basically the Cincinnati area). I haven't even thought about a route down yet, but maybe we can work out a rendezvous point somewhere.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
This will be my first time attending as well. Like you, I've ridden the area many times on a Harley. But I've also ridden it a couple of times on the Strom. I can tell you, the Strom is way more fun on those roads.

I'll be coming down from northern KY (basically the Cincinnati area). I haven't even thought about a route down yet, but maybe we can work out a rendezvous point somewhere.
I ride from Frankfort area and usually go all the way down US25 to stay off the slab. I am not married to my route though. As we get closer to date, I might be interested in a meet and ride to the Rally also.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Reservation Deadline fast approaching....WARNING!!!

Just a reminder: The Iron Horse Lodge/Campground is "holding" the entire facility for us Vstrommers to make our Reservations for a cabin, semi-private room, or bunkhouse bed until January 15th (a week and a half from now)......after Jan 15th, they will start accepting reservations made by the general biker public. If we want to keep this "our venue", we all need to get off our duffs and make those reservations prior to Jan 15. Not meaning to sound "snobbish", just don't want us stepping on any other group's toes during the rally, or vice-versa.........which BTW, has never happened since I have been attending starting in 2010, that I am aware of. All I am saying is, if you want to be with the Vstrom Rally Group the entire 3-5 days, and not have to find lodging elsewhere at night, make those reservations now!! (NOTE: tent camping at the Iron Horse does NOT require a reservation at this time)

Iron Horse Off-Season Office Hours are 9AM-2PM Monday-Friday, leave your name/number if no answer....they will call back. Tell "Princess Pam" you are with the Vstrom Group.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My normal home base in that area is Maggie Valley. What I normally do is slab it down I-75 to Corbin, KY just to shave off some time, and then take 25E down through the Cumberland Gap tunnel into Tennessee. But that route trends generally more east than would be appropriate to get to Stecoah.

But yeah, we ought to be able to figure something out if we decide we want to meet up and ride together.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
My normal home base in that area is Maggie Valley. What I normally do is slab it down I-75 to Corbin, KY just to shave off some time, and then take 25E down through the Cumberland Gap tunnel into Tennessee. But that route trends generally more east than would be appropriate to get to Stecoah.

But yeah, we ought to be able to figure something out if we decide we want to meet up and ride together.
Going the most efficient way :confused: has never been a priority to me. Staying off the slab is though:wink2:.

·
Registered
273 Posts
DT.......you will like Suches........nice, improved campground/lodge of what it use to be 10-15 yrs ago. The new owners have poured a lot of $$$ into their establishment. They have camping cabins, primitive camping, and I believe rooms in the lodge. The food was good there back in April when I went (Vintage Bike Gathering). REALLY great riding roads in that area!!
Yep.. TWoS is really nice now.. Probably a dozen small cabins, a bunkhouse, a nice new bathhouse, 3 or 4 bedrooms upstairs in the lodge that share a common living room, full kitchen, and bathroom., Decent WiFi and good grub right there....and plenty of good roads that you can string together and make a nice day ride without straying too far... Hwy 60 from just north of Dahlonega all the way to Morganton is fantastic. Hwy 180 to Hwy 129 is a blast, and 129 south of there for about 10 miles is a hoot... Richard Russell Hwy is nearby and is a "don't miss". That time of year, make a reservation if you want a bed or just take a tent... Lots of nice grassy tent space.

21 - 40 of 770 Posts