StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mileage 1500, never heard the chain noise with helmet on.
The other day rode without the helmet around the house, heard a chain noise. Best way to describe is like on a bicycle when going downhill and it makes whirring noise from wheel. Not too loud but noticeable. Like bearing spinning, like fidgit spinner.
I clean chain every 200-300 miles, Haven't cleaned the front sprocket area, could that be the cause of sound?
The chain slack looks within margin. Ordered good reviewed chain lube from amazon, will try that next.
Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would not clean that often. Lube every other tank sure. Clean with kerosene? Never. My opinion only. I am not a mechanical engineer or drive chain expert in any way. They do get noisy if dry. Looser end of spec might be OK. kfh000

·
Registered
47 Posts
My chain is a bit noisy too, but most chain driven bikes are. You'll really notice the noise when you're driving by a long, raised, cement highway divider on the left side. My bike has an automatic chain lubricator and in 14,000 miles I've only had to adjust the chain once.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I notice more noise from the gears in the transmission than the chain. As per the last post
I've only had to adjust my chain one time since new (3400 miles) I use a chain wax product
which seems to be thick enough to make the chain run quieter in my opinion.
You may want to make sure the rear axle and wheel is adjusted true and straight.
Proper axle torque as well. Did you have the 600 miles service done at the dealer ?
This usually includes checking hardware for proper torque.

·
Registered
150 Posts
As stated above, there is this clatter, bugs me too. The counter sprocket area has room to accomodate a casual level of gunk without contributing to the clatter. As you have noticed, a clean lubed chain reduces the racket til it dries out. Kerosene is not hard on the o ring seals of the chain- rag moistened with, Solvent/wd40 (stoddard solvent ingredient) is bad. Follow with a dry absorbing cloth like old cotton sock with terry. I have had excellent luck with PJ1 Black label lube and 2" slack while resting on side stand. About cleaning. The chain constantly attracts road grit. It turns stale lube into grinding compound. If you want to take the time to do it I can only see benefit thereof. TM

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Is your chain adjusted properly??? A 'Tight' chain will make excessive noise.

Should have approx. 1 1/2 inch 'slack' at mid point. IMHO 1.2" is too tight.

Reactions: TinMan88 and Spec

·
Administrator
17,511 Posts
The Stroms have some of the loudest drivetrains of any chain driven motorcycle I've owned, if tension is within spec and chain/sprockets are good.......I still find it louder than many.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Big B. For l long time I would dwell on the grinding noise riding along thinking all the while the countershaft support bearing was giving it's death rattle. Have you ridden alongside another Wee to see if there is severe chain whip contributing to the sound?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Your solution, apart form correct chain tension (looser better than tighter) is wear ear plugs and go for a ride rather than fussing about chain noise. There are so many noises these bikes make and then they run 300K on the original engine.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Add a chain oiler, then never clean it again, it will last a really long time. You do need to clean tossed oil off the rear rear rim on occasion, takes about 2 minutes with a rag and WD40. Another advantage is that dirt flings off the chain with the oil, and the front sprocket area never needs cleaning. You will notice how much quieter the chain is right away as well. A quiet chain is a happy one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
"The front sprocket area never needs cleaning"? That just defies logic, Bugzy The self cleaning feature of massive oil sling has merit,,,

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've NEVER been guilty of cleaning chains...
Wiping down with a rag will just push grit up uner the rollers...
I run a home made oiler at 2 drips per minute, with a mix of gear oil and chainsaw bar oil, chain is always clean..
50/50 road - dirt, turn the oiler off during long dirt rides...
Clean the front sprocket area at every front sprocket change, 2 front sprockets for every new chain....

·
Registered
15,606 Posts
Even with some well placed neglect my chains tend to last 20-25K miles.Set the tension a bit loose and wear ear plugs. i adjust the chain at tire changes and I mark the position of the indicators with a pencil so I set it back where it was.
I installed a homemade oiler with a bulb to pump oil on the chain. It forces a bit of oil on the chain and then the residual in the line seems to seep for a while keeping the chain lubed.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Mileage 1500, never heard the chain noise with helmet on.
The other day rode without the helmet around the house, heard a chain noise. Best way to describe is like on a bicycle when going downhill and it makes whirring noise from wheel. Not too loud but noticeable. Like bearing spinning, like fidgit spinner.
I clean chain every 200-300 miles, Haven't cleaned the front sprocket area, could that be the cause of sound?
The chain slack looks within margin. Ordered good reviewed chain lube from amazon, will try that next.
Any similar experiences?
It's likely no different without the helmet than with the helmet. Just more noticeable. Dont obsess over it, and 1500 mi is nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
"The front sprocket area never needs cleaning"? That just defies logic, Bugzy The self cleaning feature of massive oil sling has merit,,,
Actually it is true, on my 2014 I only wiped it out once when I swapped front sprocket, and there was almost nothing in there. When I was using chain lube, it was always full of junk in there, now it is just oil and a bit of sand that remains, no build-up at all, the rest falls out the bottom.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Actually it is true, on my 2014 I only wiped it out once when I swapped front sprocket, and there was almost nothing in there. When I was using chain lube, it was always full of junk in there, now it is just oil and a bit of sand that remains, no build-up at all, the rest falls out the bottom.
Acknowledged Bugzy. I have no experience with drip oilers. My attempt at using bar oil and such fluids was a mess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts