StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here. I've been reading and lurking around. I just wanted to show you guys my air box mod after tons of research. The lean 14.7:1, and the WOT air box restriction are the two top limiting factors before getting into cams and such. I'm in the middle of the install of the box mod, Booster Plug, Servo Eliminator and a full exhaust system. The original snorkel is being left in place for low speed velocity but before any vacuum is built it will flow through the Uni Air Vents before the air filter for wide open throttle flow. The Air Vents have a tiny bit of restriction so the really won't flow till needed. If I want to change it or eliminate it all together, I'm just out the lid and not the whole box. ?
Check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Less restrictive intake, less restrictive exhaust, better fueling 14.7 vs 13.5... Hoping to add a few ponies and better drivability. Get rid of the on/off throttle down low as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out Holeshot Performance for his version of the air box mod. He makes his own tunes and a list of performance parts for the 1000.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
Maybe a link to the air box mod? I don't see it on their site.

I am one that appreciates going outside the box to modify, change, improve.

I have also learned that re-inventing the wheel can be a bit frustrating.

Going with a known package, as I assume you are trying to do with "Holeshot", can eliminate issues that doing it yourself often uncover.

Not sure if you got your feathers ruffled by BigB's post, but it was a valid question. He has been around these bikes for many years...

I too have some experience with them. One thing that has come up multiple times is airbox mods. Especially on the SV 1000's, which are similar to the DL 1000. In about every one of those cases, when actually tested on a dyno, airbox mods have not produced more power in bikes that are not full race setups. Power was down in fact. But your modification is a bit different than what others have done. Using a MAP sensor, it has been determined that the airbox isn't a restriction to power. It is actually a very good design. There is work you can do to snorkles to change tuning, but again that usually would only apply to highly modified bikes. If you get a chance to dyno the bike, it would be easy to simply tape over the added vents to see if they improve power output.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious as well. (4) 1" rubber plugs would allow me to get rid of them or use as many of few as it needs.
I figure with keeping the o2 sensors and the placement to go with the flow of air will only help. Here's to hoping. Lol

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
He's got hundreds of Dyno runs on his 1000 and says the air box on this bike is the #1 weak spot. Here is the link.

Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

Which worked? The hole in the airbox or removing the snorkel. I know some SV guys simply remove the snorkel, but they didn't modify the airbox. Seems the extra holes were disrupting the airflow from the snorkel opening into the velocity stacks. But if Holeshot has back to back dyno runs to prove it ( which I have not yet found ) maybe they have learned something others did not.

·
Administrator
16,593 Posts
With 16k posts it feels like you're not really asking a question. Maybe I shouldn't have made a profile and just stayed on the outside.
I did ask a legit question, sorry it hurt your feelings........best of luck with your mod, be sure to let us know the real world results.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Less restrictive intake, less restrictive exhaust, better fueling 14.7 vs 13.5... Hoping to add a few ponies and better drivability. Get rid of the on/off throttle down low as well.
Isn't that on/off throttle being due to the ecu cutting fuel on decel when rpm is under 2500 rpm. Usually an ecu reflash does the job.

For my self that on/off fuel doesn't bother me almost riding as silk . Since my last bike before my 2018 vstrom 1000 is a yamaha fz09. Which were known for abrupt response on the throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts