StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this thread on V-Strom.co.uk but thought I might get more opinions from this forum...
After 9 years with a BMW 1200RT (couple second bikes in this time span as well), I got bored and need a change, plus the Beemer is getting heavy for me. I do not go on multi day trips any more, just a day or half day joy rides, and I am 71 as well..
I had the opportunity to test ride Africa Twin, great handling, great suspension, great engine. Not so great wind protection and overall ride comfort. I will be test riding the new DL1000 next week. I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between. However, here in New Brunswick the secondary and tertiary country roads are in terrible shape, lots of badly filled potholes and bumps of various nature. I wonder how the new Vstrom 1000 with fully adjustable front and rear would handle that. Its 16/16 cm front/rear travel is pretty short of 23/22 cm travel on Africa Twin, but still...? Smooth comfortable ride is more important to me than performance or high speed handling.
It seems to me that the Africa Twin with its off-road character might be an overkill for my needs and VStrom might give me more ride comfort. Any thoughts/comments on that?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Agree, Strom all the way for 95% on-road and 0% gnarly stuff. Not even close. What you did not mention, and should be taken into serious consideration, is the tubed tires on the AT. For the type of riding you describe, tubed tires should automatically end the debate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You don't mention if price is a consideration. But since you posted in the '18 section I'd point out there isn't a huge difference between the '14-'16 models and the new one. There was no '17 atleast here in the U.S. and the leftover new models in those earlier years are selling for ~30% off making them a steal and often much less than an Africa Twin. The V-Strom has a large accessory assortment and once you start it's hard to stop. I love my Vee2 and if I did more off-road I'd go Africa Twin but I don't. For mostly street I don't want that tall and narrow of a tire and as mentioned, tubed.

As for the Super Tenere recommended above I'm pretty sure that weighs close to or more than the R1200RT you say is getting too heavy and definitely more than the other 2.

Enjoy the test drive. Hopefully you can get over 50mph for more than 2secs like the ones over here

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you limiting your choices to just those two, or open for others?

If open, you may want to take a look at the Yamaha Super Tenere ES.

Good luck!!!
The reason I am looking at DL1000 or AT is their weight, around 230 kg. All the big ADV bikes are much heavier. So the weight and good suspension are my main objectives.
As for the DL650, I used to have a 2013 version for two seasons. Great bike but for smooth roads. I wonder if they improved the front for 2017, but I hear that it doesn't even have now the preload adjustment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't mention if price is a consideration.
I am hoping that Suzuki will drop the price by at least by 10% in August, as they always do here in Canada. At the same time, I made arrangements with the local Honda dealer whose AT I test rode, that I will be the first to be offered this demo bike at discount, again at least 10% off. So I am kind of working on two fronts...:smile2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
The reason I am looking at DL1000 or AT is their weight, around 230 kg. All the big ADV bikes are much heavier. So the weight and good suspension are my main objectives.
As for the DL650, I used to have a 2013 version for two seasons. Great bike but for smooth roads. I wonder if they improved the front for 2017, but I hear that it doesn't even have now the preload adjustment.
The Tenere does carry more weight, but it carries it very well - and based on your intended use, I think it would clearly be a great choice. If nothing more, the drive shaft, standard heated grips, a GREAT cruise control would more than offset the (slight) negative of extra weight. The ES is a fantastic bike!! Oh so easy to dial-in as load and road conditions vary.

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
For your description get the DL650 well farkled....lighter than the DL1000, carries the same amount of weight, long fuel range. 213 KG - better gas mileage = longer range...I got 470 km on a tank last weekend and I was not on fumes.
Try the DL650 first then you have some loot to do suspension but I recall watching buddy ahead of me on the 650 floating over serious frost heaves on The James Bay Road

You might not have to do a thing.

And if you are touring at all ...this seems a very good deal for a low km machine ...
2015 suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS EXP | utilitaires, promenade | Laval/Rive Nord | Kijiji

or this and do you own farkling
SUZUKI V-STROM DL650 ABS 2017 | utilitaires, promenade | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

there are a number in Quebec and dealers are savvy about shipping to another province ( sales tax etc. )

I bought my CBF in Quebec

I cannot see a single reason for the Africa Twin from your description.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Don't even think of dropping back from 1000cc or it will seem doggy to you. ;-)

Your riding 95/5 paved/unpaved - forest fire roads mostly well groomed is exactly the same as my riding but I have tons of tight twisties and Ozarks to climb. V-Strom 1000 it is. I would not go any heavier or less power. If there are any big hills don't even think less. It fits this bike perfectly. Much more off-road (even 80/20 or more IMO) and the AT steps in (or something else like a Triumph Tiger or KTM) but you give up a little tracking on the twisties with that 21" front tire and longer suspension. It's a trade-off. Better off-road or better paved twisties performance (actually the 17" are best and the 19" is the compromise)?

I ride with a few guys with the shaft drives and the additional weight (GS1200 and a ST). They will work but are a tiny bit more to handle on the gravel. A guy I watched with a VFR1200X (on a fire road) is best on the pavement IMO at 608 lbs. I have test ridden them all - even the KTM. It's a mean machine but not for me. I like comfort riding on the pavement most of the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input on DL650 vs DL1000 and the other bikes. In fact, the new DL650 was my original idea based on the two seasons I rode its 2013 version. The deliberation on other options came after I test rode the Afrika Twin. Its suspension, engine, sound and handling got me interested, not so much the overall ride comfort. At my age, I am pretty conservative rider and the ride comfort and bike weight are main factors for me. I guess both VStroms test rides next Tuesday will give enough food for thought and decision.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't even think of dropping back from 1000cc or it will seem doggy to you. ;-)
That's what I kind of think as well. Being used to my 1200cc and 110 HP BMW RT, the 650 might feel rather underpowered. Mind you, this bike including luggage is 280 kgs...:frown2:

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
The difference is huge passing at interstate speeds and heavy gear just makes it worse. I loved my 650A but I can't go back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You don't mention if price is a consideration.
I am hoping that Suzuki will drop the price by at least by 10% in August, as they always do here in Canada. At the same time, I made arrangements with the local Honda dealer whose AT I test rode, that I will be the first to be offered this demo bike at discount, again at least 10% off. So I am kind of working on two fronts...
Here in Québec they already begun dropping there price....you can find an AT for 13 500$

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
Your riding 95/5 paved/unpaved - forest fire roads mostly well groomed is exactly the same as my riding but I have tons of tight twisties and Ozarks to climb. V-Strom 1000 it is. I would not go any heavier or less power. If there are any big hills don't even think less. It fits this bike perfectly. Much more off-road (even 80/20 or more IMO) and the AT steps in (or something else like a Triumph Tiger or KTM) but you give up a little tracking on the twisties with that 21" front tire and longer suspension. It's a trade-off. Better off-road or better paved twisties performance (actually the 17" are best and the 19" is the compromise)?
He doesn't have those....bike weight is important for him and I can see zero reason for the extra 50 lb the DL1000 weighs let alone shorter range given where he rides. I think OP is on the right track with the DL650. I pulled the side cases off mine yesterday for some maintenance and was surprised how nimble it felt.
The 650 will slab all day at 85 mph and he says he's a conservative rider.

The DL1000 seat is higher as well.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
For what you're looking for, the Vstrom 1000 is a better fit. I've a 2006 dl650, and when I sat on the new 1000, it seemed smaller, more compact than my 650! I couldn't believe it. It's a tight tidy package, and with the new suspension and brakes, it'd be my pick. Throw some semi knobby tires on the vstrom 1000, like fullbore m40/41's (same as kenda 705's), or some more aggressive Conti's, and you're a long haul dirt road demon.

The newer 650's do have more controlled suspension, and when you spring it on the front for your weight, it's actually quite comfy on a rough two track dirt road. The lighter weight, updated motor (suzuki keeps finding more HP), suspension, brakes and frame - and ergos, might be something for you to revisit. I assume you had an older one like I did (mines a 2006), but performing minor tweaks to my fork (heavier oil and heavier spring) really transformed the ride, for very little effort. The 650 will definitely be easier to ride for you since weight is a primary issue you are concerned with. I'd take another look before moving up to either 1000cc.

Either way, you've got a fantastically wonderful problem!

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I look forward to your test rides as I'm going to be considering the same bikes in another 6 months after I retire and move.

Outbackwack

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between.
Keep his terrain in mind and the goal of light weight. He's not looking for a "demon"..he's a conservative rider.

The new 650s are a whole lot improved over your 2006.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts