StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all , I just wanted to ask is there a fix for the off the throttle surges when I let off the throttle . Let me explain , when I let off the gas the bike immediately slows down with no glide causing all my body weight to suge forward . Its annoying . I turned up the idle to 2200 rpm , adjusted my throttle linkage at the handle bar so when letting off the gas the slowing down isnt so dramatic . Its not like when your going highway speeds and you pull in the clutch and you glide , thats nice and easy and slows easly . But be at highway speeds and just let off the gas and baaaaaaa! I want a little bit more glide than than going from 65 mph to 35 in 5 secs by just letting of the gas . Has anybody ever addressed this, is there any tuning for a fix? Any adjustment? And were would it get adjusted . I never felt a bike decelerate so heavily before. I have owned 3 CBR 600's in the past and My last bike was a CBR1100 Black Bird . Thank you .

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Unfortunately when you cut the throttle on a strom the ECU cuts the fuel so it makes the deceleration worse.

A Throttle Tamer can help on the earlier bikes but I'm not sure with your bike.

The bump on the tamer tube is a little later than the bump on the original throttle tube so it smoothes things out a bit in the smaller throttle openings.

Reactions: Trike

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I think there is a device or resister you can do to trick the bike into thinking its in a higher gear so it does not cut off all the fuel. Having said that after a while you get used to it, every new bike is like that now because of the Euro emissions requirements. My CRF450L is twice as bad as the v-strom, you have to really watch it when you are standing up and riding almost throw ya over the bars!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there is a device or resister you can do to trick the bike into thinking its in a higher gear so it does not cut off all the fuel. Having said that after a while you get used to it, every new bike is like that now because of the Euro emissions requirements. My CRF450L is twice as bad as the v-strom, you have to really watch it when you are standing up and riding almost throw ya over the bars!
So when your in the dirt , and going down a hill that would be like throwing on the brakes just by closing the throttle. That declaration would be bad on any slick surface.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My main issues with my '18 was slower speeds would be hella jerky. Literally surges with slight inputs. I tightened up the free play on the throttle and it's made a huge improvement. Not gone, but bearable now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My main issues with my '18 was slower speeds would be hella jerky. Literally surges with slight inputs. I tightened up the free play on the throttle and it's made a huge improvement. Not gone, but bearable now.
I did the same thing , it helped with the roll on , but the deceleration is what i am trying to fix now . If i can get a work around it will be the perfect bike .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2018 with the same problem. I hate it. Makes slow speed riding scary around corners and on rain wet surfaces. Will be trying a throttle tamer soon. Today, I slip the clutch a lot.

i found this:

Going to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I solved a lot of this problem with X-TRE. I still have the same engine braking but it comes on progressively. Before X-TRE if I let off the throttle it would shut instantly fuel feed to the engine and engine braking would be immediate. So, before X-TRE it would take 0 seconds to start engine braking and now it takes 1,5 or 2 seconds progressively. '18 DL1000.
Also the bike is much smoother on slow manouvering and doesn't require that much clutch slipping as the bike is happy in 1st gear on 1800-2000 rpm. But that rpm is just when you need it. I never ride my bike on the road bellow 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Has this always done this since new or a recent development. My '09 DL650 developed this same issue after about a year/16K miles. Tried syncing throttle bodies, adjusting TPS, none of which helped. What did help was taking out the slack in the throttle cable. Oddly, the problem slowly got better over time, now 10 years later, it's pretty much gone. My '06 SV650 had the issue since new, the DL developed the issue, I think some bikes come out of the crate like this and some don't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has this always done this since new or a recent development. My '09 DL650 developed this same issue after about a year/16K miles. Tried syncing throttle bodies, adjusting TPS, none of which helped. What did help was taking out the slack in the throttle cable. Oddly, the problem slowly got better over time, now 10 years later, it's pretty much gone. My '06 SV650 had the issue since new, the DL developed the issue, I think some bikes come out of the crate like this and some don't.
Ya it a brand new bike , i guess with electronic fueling the engineers didn't think that far ahead that by closing the throttle , it was just like hitting the kill switch , it really annoying , it so jerky by closing the throttle . It like a light switch .

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Typically they don't completely cut the fuel. That's because it will quickly drop the temperature of the catalytic converter fitted as standard and cause it to fail emission regulations with a big puff of hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs) when you open the throttle again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you checked that the TPS is adjusted correctly? My 2018 was not correct. When I set it correctly the throttle got a lot smoother.

Hasn't solved the snappiness for everyone but it sure made a difference for me. Several threads here about how to do it.

Vinnie

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I solved a lot of this problem with X-TRE. I still have the same engine braking but it comes on progressively. Before X-TRE if I let off the throttle it would shut instantly fuel feed to the engine and engine braking would be immediate. So, before X-TRE it would take 0 seconds to start engine braking and now it takes 1,5 or 2 seconds progressively. '18 DL1000.
Also the bike is much smoother on slow manouvering and doesn't require that much clutch slipping as the bike is happy in 1st gear on 1800-2000 rpm. But that rpm is just when you need it. I never ride my bike on the road bellow 3000 rpm.
Doesn’t TRE require you to cut a wire in the harness thus voiding the warranty?
I have an ‘18 1000xt with the same problem it’s terrible, will be addressing it very soon.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yes, X-TRE requires cutting one wire but I had the dealer (where I bought the bike) do it so all was good.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
So when your in the dirt , and going down a hill that would be like throwing on the brakes just by closing the throttle. That declaration would be bad on any slick surface.
yup, it's a problem with all new fuel injected bikes. Light inputs on the throttle and using your clutch will help, you will get used to it in time. I'd recommend waiting a while before throwing money at it. You will get accustomed to it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Some ideas that may help.
One can use this to advantage. Saves brake pads. Adjust throttle as needed ( learn smoothness and not abrupt input of throttle on the increase or decrease, and also use a higher gear. In time, one tends to get use to the ways various machines behave. Maybe even an advanced riding school, at almost race track speeds. The engine braking does not bother me. I got used to it along time ago on BMW GS's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes its typical on the newer Vee.....simply too lean fueling ....and no fueling when chopping the throttle...causes instant engine braking.

the only fix is to fatten the fueling on throttle c hop, decelaration and in idle and initial throttle tip in.

Booster plug addresses it.
Power Commander with appropriate map addresses even better.

All bikes are simply too lean from the factory...they cannot meet certification without being so.
Sad really that all the engineering and high techery is struggling to get a bike to run as well as a well dialed in carbd bike eh.....:cool:

On the flip side the efi does start well, adjusts for temp/altitude well...and when mapped properly for best engine performance and rideability is excellent.

Either spend a few bucks for a device to get the engine "happy"...and I do mean happy...driveability, strong even idle, no surging at steady throttle and or under light load, stronger rollon and accelaration, improved smoother low rpm under load, cooler running.
Yes it is slightly dirtier....

or put up and shut up

·
Registered
216 Posts
As far as the engine braking, I don't have an issue with it on my '18 and don't think there's anything wrong with your bike. Yes, it has relatively strong engine braking. It's an L-twin, it's going to have considerably more engine braking than that Inline-4 CBR1000. If you're used to the CBR1000 and you haven't ridden many twins, you're just not used to the engine braking that a twin has.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2018 I bought in Nov (leftover model) and I have no issues with it and actually think it is very smooth. I wonder how much of this is expectations and past bikes (so the owner) vs. the settings on the bike? I've owned KTM 990s which are horrible at this. And Ducatis most of which most are pretty bad at this.

Are you guys in 1st gear at 5,000 rpm and then shutting the throttle all the way closed? I could see how that would be bad even on the v-strom 1000. But if I'm riding around at say 3,000 and back off the throttle I don't have much of a forward toss / compression breaking. Certainly doesn't coast like if you pulled in the clutch, but there is no bad forward toss/push/lurch.

Not sure if I'm lucky and got a nicely set up v-strom or years of KTM's and Ducati's have made me think the v-strom is great. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts