StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had a great time last year which was my first time. Hope to be there in 2018. I did have a slight "negative experience" when I went to find someone to ride with. I asked him how many speeding tickets he had on his license, my way of knowing if we will be compatible on the road, and he responded with zero and he had never had one on his bike:yikes:! I moved on and found this guy named Bill:thumbup::wink2:. Great time.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
I asked him how many speeding tickets he had on his license, my way of knowing if we will be compatible on the road, and he responded with zero and he had never had one on his bike:yikes:! I moved on and found this guy named Bill:thumbup::wink2:. Great time.

You mean you like a relaxed pace? Those of us with few tickets are faster than radar and laser........:grin2:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm really saying that there is all kinds of riding going on at the Eastern Rally and you will be able to find a few new friends that will ride the way you do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Spokes, glad you found someone to ride with at the rally. I for one am not allowed to go slow, I tend to fall down (I have proof)(anything under 5 mph is dangerous around me). I am forever forbidden from entering the slow speed race for fear of scaring off unknowing participants. The Bill that you refer to is my riding buddy we met years ago in a similar way that you two met. All you have to do is ask around and there is always someone that has a similar riding style/ability.
Ride safe and ride often.
Prowler

·
Registered
319 Posts
Prowler, you were supposed to join us. I think Bill was sent out alone to test my riding style and ability! Next time Bill and I need to bring water and drink it. It was pretty warm that day. Bill's ride still rates as one of the best single day rides I have ever taken. Thanks Bill. This area has some of the most fabulous roads in all of NA.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just a reminder to call The Iron Horse to make your room/bunkhouse/cabin Reservations prior to Jan 15.......the day they open the facilities up to the General Biker Public. Being stingy, I hope the vstrommers book every room they have before that date. Don't put this off and be left out in the Cold/Rain, sleeping in a tent...... :)

http://ironhorsenc.com/

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in, and actually on a Strom this year instead of the SV (I miss her so much). I booked my bunkhouse spot sometime back in August for Thursday to Sunday. I had a blast last year, though I'd love to find someone to ride with on Friday. I do intend on riding to the museum this year. I skipped it last year to do a Dragon/Skyway ride with the one full day I was there.

One question, do people do any fire road/big bike offroad stuff as part of their rides? I have gotten into that some here in East TN, but my skill/comfort level is still low because of the weight of the bike. Just wanted to know what to expect. I'd be happy road riding as well.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and sharing a beer or two!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm in, and actually on a Strom this year instead of the SV (I miss her so much). I booked my bunkhouse spot sometime back in August for Thursday to Sunday. I had a blast last year, though I'd love to find someone to ride with on Friday. I do intend on riding to the museum this year. I skipped it last year to do a Dragon/Skyway ride with the one full day I was there.

One question, do people do any fire road/big bike offroad stuff as part of their rides? I have gotten into that some here in East TN, but my skill/comfort level is still low because of the weight of the bike. Just wanted to know what to expect. I'd be happy road riding as well.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and sharing a beer or two!
Hey OMG, Yes we do ride the gravel and fire roads. We like the gravel road that runs the entire Eastern end of the Great Smokie mountain Park. I think on the map it is called Ranger station road out of Maggie Valley near I-40. It runs all the way up to Rt32 and Cosby, Tn where you can grab lunch at the Carvers orchard. There are many, many others but that one is good for someone with limited experience and riding the big iron. NOTE: Watch out for the Bears, 3 or 4 of them last time we were there, in the road and too close but made for an exciting adventure.
I am sure others will chime in with their favorites too. Glad to see you are joining us again.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I'm kind of on the fence so far, 50/50 shot as of now. Want to make the strom a thon in Texas. I'm the type that has to try something at least once and then try something else. Texas rally has the Moto GP racing the following weekend. Even though I went to COTA last year. :grin2:

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
If you have not been to the Eastern V Strom Rally, do it.

The best riding in Texas isn't as good as the roads in the Rally area that lead up to the "good stuff"!

Been to the "Strom a Thon" a few times. No longer about V Stroms, but it is a good bunch that puts it on and a good time.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just reserved a private cabin so I don't have to listen to Mark snore:wink2:. I will have my coffee machine with me!
Har Har Har..........you just "thought" that was snoring...........remember The Iron Horse served Beans that first Thursday night we were there. By the time Sunday came around, I was "exhausted".........:fineprint:
OK.......first Rider who trailers a KTM and Beemer to the rally will be awarded a worn out set of Shinko's.

Spokes was really having "Starbucks withdrawal" symptoms every morning during the Rally.......nearest Starbucks was probably Maryville or Pidgeon Forge?? Oh, the Horror of it all........... :kiss:

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
REMINDER: The Iron Horse is Reserving all rooms/cabins for US until Monday Jan 15, then any other biker group can rent the spaces. It would be a shame if the vstrom group was over-shadowed by another group/club. This is YOUR RALLY.......call or email The Iron Horse THIS WEEK and make a Reservation. May will be here before you know it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Har Har Har..........you just "thought" that was snoring...........remember The Iron Horse served Beans that first Thursday night we were there. By the time Sunday came around, I was "exhausted".........:fineprint:
OK.......first Rider who trailers a KTM and Beemer to the rally will be awarded a worn out set of Shinko's.

Spokes was really having "Starbucks withdrawal" symptoms every morning during the Rally.......nearest Starbucks was probably Maryville or Pidgeon Forge?? Oh, the Horror of it all........... :kiss:
I'll ignore this snide response as I might need to take advantage of your ez-up shade provider.:bom_cool4:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a newbie here and really thinking of attending this fine event. I'm close enough, so if I can get some extra days off I'll be there.im a long time goldwing rider (and pull a camper) but in July of last year I bought a 17 650 xt to fool around on. I have tent camped along the parkway and I really enjoy the handling of this bike. So ya'll most likely will meet someone new at this years event.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Great to see/meet you, Don. If you have not done so, go here and snoop around.......photo's of past Rallys (Thankyou Stalky Tracker!!).
Eastern:| V-Strom :|Rally - Home

No reservations req'd for tent camping, but they do have rooms and bunkhouses if you prefer (reserve one NOW). We are NOT a rough and rowdy bunch.......by any means. The closer we get to May, the more info will be posted here on planned activities, who is doing what (helping), TShirts, yadda, yadda.
Hope to see you there!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome Don. Last year was my first attendance and everyone was really nice and I had a great time. Met new friends and learned about a lot of great roads in the area from the gang. I hope you to see you there. You will be welcome riding any bike, as I rode this last year and everyone was envious.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 351 Posts