StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Eastern Rally is already "booked" at The Iron Horse Lodge/Campground for May 17-20th again in 2018......the weekend between Mother's Day and Memorial Day weekend. The IH is holding the entire campground for us "V-Strommers" until January 14th to make our room/cabin/bunkhouse reservations, and then they will open it up to the General Public starting January 15th. REMEMBER: call the Iron Horse prior to January 15th if you want your same room, or different "digs" from last year. Tent Campers require no reservations at this time.

As Stalky Tracker has mentioned in a previous thread, our Eastern V-Strom Rally was written-up in the Blue Ridge Motorcycling Magazine back during the summer. Great article, as it spoke highly of what V-strommers are all about. We tried some new ideas this year, and a few riders have already volunteered to help with the 2018 Rally, bringing some of their different ideas to the organizing table........should be fun, different, but also the "same"......if that makes any sense??!! The Wheels thru Time Museum Ride/Tour was a huge hit with the dozen or so riders who went this year on Saturday. Look for it again in 2018.

This is not really a "Sign-up" Thread (just yet), but more of a reminder to make your reservations ASAP, and maybe ask Santa for some farkles in your stocking?? Look for new faces leading the pack in 2018, but with the same old "veterans" there helping out as well.

The Eastern Rally is the same weekend as the Romney, WV get-together.......which sounds like an outstanding rally itself from past responses here on the forum. Sometimes you just gotta pick your battles and go into them..........

Merry Christmas/Happy New Year/and God Bless........

·
Registered
254 Posts
Glad to see it posted and looking forward to it, again!!!
Already signed up and have my cabin reserved.
Looking forward to it.
Hope to see a lot of new faces along with the old.
Korny

·
Registered
140 Posts
YAHOOOO!!! Can't wait for this rally. I will be attending again with Bill C. both of us old timers at this rally. It always seems there are more things to do and places to see at this location. Many of us have traveled the entire northern continent and I have never found a better spot for all the different types of riding we seem to appreciate, Off road, twisty pavement, dirt tracks and of course gravel. There are more but these are the ones that interest me and fit my riding style. If you have never attended this rally just look at the comments from riders that have attended before. The location is perfect, the accommodations are excellent, the food is great and the people are first class.
I will let Stalky Tracker and Mark 444 fill in the rest of the good parts but attending this rally is a must for many of us each year.
Prowler

·
Administrator
16,984 Posts
Real good event and enjoyed myself in 2016, but heading to Romney this year.......if only could work out both.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
Too bad you and the Romney rally both picked the same weekend.
Puts a body in a bind deciding which one to pick rather than be able to attend both.
Apples and Oranges but in the Spring/Summer season one can catch BMW rallies and travel through several states over a period of weekends.

·
Administrator
16,984 Posts
Too bad you and the Romney rally both picked the same weekend.
Puts a body in a bind deciding which one to pick rather than be able to attend both.
Apples and Oranges but in the Spring/Summer season one can catch BMW rallies and travel through several states over a period of weekends.
Romney has always been a few 2 weeks early, and the weather most of the years has been proof of that. I would likely be riding by myself at the Strom rally, I am a bit anti social sometimes when I am out exploring. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dates.......

The Eastern Rally is actually "booked" every year during the current Rally......so, during the last May 2017 Rally while at The Iron Horse, we make Reservations (to reserve the whole place) a year in advance.....typically always the same weekend: between Mother's Day and Memorial Day Weekend. Now, every so many years (according to how the stars line up that year) there will be two "free" weekends between those Holiday weekends. This pre-booking helps The Iron Horse plan their yearly events. Our Eastern Rally also seems to fall on the same weekend as the ADV Rider's "Rick's Rendezvous" weekend somewhere in Tennessee....... has been for years, neither Group wants to change their dates.
I completely understand Big B's comment about the weather regarding the Romney Event. I have read on here that Dirt Dad puts on quite an event (with lots of help) with the Romney Sponsors' presence......one thing that is lacking at the Eastern Rally the last few years (we did have Twisted Throttle come down about 8 years back).
But I view all these rallys like " a Fat Kid in a Candy Store with $5 to spend".........you won't go wrong with whatever you buy (attend). :laugh2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
And there you have it from Mark444. Some rallies offer vendors with farkels etc. to sell and finger but The Eastern Rally focus is on riding the fantastic variety of riding opportunities offered in this area in MHO. I guess that is why we don't miss the vendors much. Don't get me wrong, vendors are nice to see at any venue but I for one attend this rally to ride. We do appreciate the vendors that attend and we appreciate their participation and the great presentations they provide. I have purchased many new items from the vendors that have attended the Rally. I probably would never have even known about the items I purchased if the vendor had not attended the rally and sold me on the virtues of their offerings.
Whatever the reason, I really enjoy this Eastern Rally and will attend it over any other. Just my opinion.
Prowler

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
....(we did have Twisted Throttle come down about 8 years back).
That sounds about right. I remember eating breakfast with the owner of Twisted Throttle one morning at the Iron Horse during my 3rd consecutive V-Strom Eastern Rally. That was probably 2010. Always enjoyed that event. Made some great friends there, learned a lot from some riders that were much better than me, and always appreciated the great facilities at The Iron Horse. I do miss that event, it taught me so much about doing the Romney Event.

I'm a bit disappointed the calendar worked out the way it did this year. No question it is more ideal to have these events on different weekends, but after taking a number of factors into consideration, it just worked out this way for 2018. I absolutely wish the Eastern Rally another great successful year 2018. Ride safe guys (and gals), it's a lot of fun down there.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the weather like in May down there?
Ha ha........you name it, it sometimes happens!!!
Count on rain at least 1 day out of 4.......can be perfectly warm, and we've ridden thru sleet up on the Cherry-Cola Skyway at times. The weather is crazy and unpredictable......but you can prepare for it. That's part of the "adventure". I will say this: I've ALWAYS found the weather inside the Lodge to be perfect!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ok here is a link to the official website for the upcoming Eastern V-Strom Rally Schedule - Eastern:| V-Strom :|Rally. You will find the proposed schedule, great photos from past events ( a good opportunity to see what we do during the Rally), A list of riders already signed up for the 2018 gathering, a list of things to do in the area and much more. Go check it out. See you in May 2018.
Prowler

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
I am sure some of you are heading across the pond to attend the Royal Wedding on May 19, but if you are not you might want to consider attending the Eastern V-Strom Rally. :grin2:

Iron Horse will release all rooms, cabins, and bunkhouse beds to the general public on Jan 15, 2018, so if inclined make your reservations now. They are closed for the winter and are operating under winter hours (9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, Monday thru Friday) and can be reached at 828-479-3864 or through their website (Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge). Once the V-Strom Rally hold is released they will fill up fast so get your reservation in now. You can always cancel later or pass it along to another V-Strommer who procrastinated.

Check out their website for info on cabins, rooms, bunkhouse, camping, and the Lodge/Pavilion. The facilities are excellent whether staying in a cabin or camping. The food is great too. Be sure and mention you are with the V-Strom Rally.

If you are camping you can procrastinate, but if you make a reservation or let them know you are coming (and provide an email address) they will send out the evening meal menu for the week about a week before the Rally.

As Prowler said check out the Rally website (Eastern V-Strom Rally) for Rally info as it becomes available and pictures from previous Rallies.

If you have questions or need more information, holler. Here or PM (Mark444, Prowler, me) or through "Contact Us" on the EVR website.

Hope see you there.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
ill make this rally but it may be my last. I may sell my bike and trailer after this rally :(
I said that last year and meant it. But I had such a great time riding I kept the bike for the sole purpose of riding in this event. Frankly my bike is fully depreciated so selling it last year or this year or next year it's the same money.

I'm in

I am sure some of you are heading across the pond to attend the Royal Wedding on May 19, but if you are not you might want to consider attending the Eastern V-Strom Rally. :grin2:
And if you decide to come to the rally instead I think they are playing "suits" so you can see the better half of the royal couple.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Clovett says it all. I am also keeping the bike just for this rally each year. Most of my riding buddies dont ride anymore but I still stay in contact with quite a few folks from this rally and just love riding with them. I still do an occasional ride in the summer but work and other things in life distract me from the riding adventures I enjoyed for so many years.
I really can't tell you how many years I have attended this rally but since I found it and attended it the first time, it has become my favorite adventure each year, and sometimes twice a year. You see the same thing posted here and elsewhere about this rally, I have never heard anyone say anything bad or negative about the riding, the IronHorse or the riders involved with the Eastern Rally. It is very difficult to write about an experience such as this one and get the full experience explained. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words well attending is about 1000 times better than a picture. Attend once and you will be hooked. I was.
Some of us have many hundreds of thousands of miles behind us and a wealth of experience with Rallys across this country but as for me I have never attended one that was as fun as this one. Bigger rallies, more vendors, more riders, more organized rides, but never as much fun as this one each year. I think part of the attraction to this rally is the lack of meetings, the very loosely organized riding, ability to adapt to anything that arises including the ever changing weather and the varied riding abilities of attendees. No one ever feels compelled to ride above their comfort level, many riders meet each morning or evening to find other riders that might ride with similar styles and abilities.
Come join us in 2018. We have several riders signed up already and the Iron Horse says they have several reservations already for the rally. I hope we see you there in 2018, come join the fun.
Prowler

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
You see the same thing posted here and elsewhere about this rally, I have never heard anyone say anything bad or negative about the riding, the IronHorse or the riders involved with the Eastern Rally. It is very difficult to write about an experience such as this one and get the full experience explained. Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words well attending is about 1000 times better than a picture. Attend once and you will be hooked. I was.
OH now you did it. I'm writing the first REAL experience about the bad thing I saw when I was on the ride. And I have a witness, Stromlurker, so don't try squirming out of it to smooth things over. I'm ripping the top of this!!!

We got behind two Harleys that, bless their hearts, couldn't get their bikes to go over 25 mph. It was a sad and horrible thing to watch as more and more bikes and cars piled up behind them for about 10 miles. Now mind you it was a little "hazy" but I believe the rider on the right pulled off his boot and chewed his toenails. At that point the bike he was riding let off some kind of "gas" and we all backed up a little.

There, the first bad write up. I did it I....broke....the story.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can't wait! I'm in for the 17/18th at this point but I'm hoping to change my schedule around at work for another 2 days. This will be my third one and I am excited!

Reactions: Dread7
1 - 20 of 351 Posts