StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... so 1700 miles in and something other than FI is beginning to bother me.

Frigging clutch out noise.. Anyone else hearing this? Don't get me wrong, all bikes do it, and I'm learned in many including this engine, but I expected this to be quieter for longer if that makes sense. Bout the same clutch out noise as my 76,000 miles SV1K. (Modified basket now obviously).

Am I just being paranoid...

On the positive... Was expecting crank slap IH Noises also by now, but seriously... "not a sausage". No sense of teh IH at all even when in hot traffic, hot day.. My SV hammers like a 3 ton steel bench press, and did since the day I bought it 5yrs and 55K miles ago. I've learned to ignore that and 'shame' into higher rpm idle when a few bikes next to me at the lights... : ).

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
Idle hammer is extremely well documented, Suzuki obviously never fixed it for the new 1000's either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
au Contraie

Just to reiterate - NO sign at all of IH on my 2018 DL. Its Absolutely SWEEEEEEEETTTT.....

Its the clutch out noise that bugs at me ....

Fully aware of both clutch basket issues and IH's and their wonderful fixes by
wonderful gentlemen. :)

Again, I knew the basket for the DL18 still wasn't properly engineered before purchase - indeed appear similar to SV's again, some most learned and wonderful folks have posted such info publicly.

I kinda just expected a new bike to be quieter clutch out for more than 1700 mi.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ok... so 1700 miles in and something other than FI is beginning to bother me.

Frigging clutch out noise.. Anyone else hearing this? Don't get me wrong, all bikes do it, and I'm learned in many including this engine, but I expected this to be quieter for longer if that makes sense. Bout the same clutch out noise as my 76,000 miles SV1K. (Modified basket now obviously).

Am I just being paranoid...

On the positive... Was expecting crank slap IH Noises also by now, but seriously... "not a sausage". No sense of teh IH at all even when in hot traffic, hot day.. My SV hammers like a 3 ton steel bench press, and did since the day I bought it 5yrs and 55K miles ago. I've learned to ignore that and 'shame' into higher rpm idle when a few bikes next to me at the lights... : ).

Mine does the exact same thing. In my case it is not loud, but I can hear it because I?m listening for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I think they all do it to an extent, not dependent on mileage. Of course, the level is pretty subjective and no way to compare without having bikes sitting side by side. Don't be surprised if the idle hammer shows up yet; mine didn't for a few thousand miles, maybe around the second oil change. Can't discuss oil here, but oil type and brand might have some effect on the clutch out noise since it's the gear train turning you hear. If you want to get into that you'll have to go to The Big Oil Thread...

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,256 Posts
Just remember that "clutch out vs clutch in" isn't all about the clutch basket. There are a lot of bearings, gears, and support parts that slow or stop in the transmission when you pull in the clutch lever. Yes, the clutch basket can make a high percentage of the noise if worn. But at your mileage I highly doubt it is the clutch basket doing the bad deed if it is that loud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shelby Reassuring, and I was wondering if it was more paranoia - I'd planned to upgrade basket anyhow due to impact it had on my SV :)... I guess its still better than my neighbors duc that sounds like spanners in a dryer. :)

G-dub - funny you mention. I gave dealers EXPRESS wishes with regards how the first changes was to be performed after reading here and elsewhere. Txs to all who contributed.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Meh, with 19 days and 2300 miles on mine, I have idle hammer (when warm) and clutch noise. Also, I don't give a shit. You can't hear either at 5000 RPM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts