StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drained engine oil today, but the washer was stuck on the bolt. Second oil change at 1600 miles. I drilled the washer, but not enough apparently and removed it, however it damaged the threads. Not real bad, but needs to be replaced. I cannot identify the dang thing on revzilla.

So can someone tell me how to determine the part number? I just ordered one on amzn because it looks like it and they claim it fits the 02 to 12 strom. I will call the dealer tomorrow, but would like to know if anyone else has dealt with a similar issue. I have the service manual. I am struggling to understand how such a lame thing occurred.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Like this? 23 and 24? Suzukipartswarehouse.com? I am not following how you drilled a washer stuck on a bolt but I am not all that mechanical. Good Luck!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the parts diagram. The numbers match so I will look into the site.
As for getting a crush washer off the drain bolt I have several times used something to separate the washer from the bolt. This time was different, you know, like no one's ever seen before.
Drilling the crush washer isn't hard, but I did not free it enough to avoid scoring the threads. Damn thing shrank or something.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
The crush washer can be a bugger to get off, I only change mine every couple of years. To get off, like @nuke said, use a pen knife or thin putty knife to work it away from the plug head, then grip in your fingers and unthread.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Open to correction, the oil drain plug size of the DL1000 is M14 x 1.25. You should be able to match up the drain plug with that of another Suzuki model or other brand, if no stock for your model. It helps to take along the drain plug, as a sample, when matching up bolt size and thread pitch.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm puzzled, why would you try to remove the washer from the plug?

I'm guessing if you had that much difficulty, you're tightening the plug too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts