1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
If you have a 2018 see if it looks the same as the picture in that area. I would think it would fit perfectly, but if it doesn't just return it.

·
Administrator
16,801 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Administrator
16,801 Posts
I have used Fiamm Freeway blasters before, but I've always used a relay and I plan on putting one on my 2018. Where did you mount yours?
Up to you but you don't need a relay for that horn, on my 15XT you mount it where the OEM horn was.......super easy and looks/fits like stock.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go with the Fiamm freeway blaster "low tone", what I have mounted and it needs no relay. It was literally plug and play, all I had to do was bend the mount towards the engine a bit......love it and it's LOUD!!!

https://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Freeway-Blaster-Note/dp/B000DINKPQ
A Bomb, or a less pricey Blaster.
Decisions, decisions.
And sure enough while I'm dinking around deciding, a car tonight in the middle of 3 freeway lanes comes over on me while I was overtaking in the left. Laid on the stock horn, I doubt they ever heard it. Just kept right on coming.

B was right about the Givi mud guard fitting an '18
And I try to not turn down good advice.
thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I found a perfect place for the relay for my low tone Fiamm freeway blaster, and I just finished extending the wires for the stock horn to reach the relay. The horn fits perfectly in the stock location with the opening of the horn facing forward but still protected by the beak. Next is running a fused 16 ga wire from the battery up to the relay.

I have to powder coat some parts black tomorrow, so I'll powder coat the relay mounting bracket. I've used the low tone freeway blaster on bikes before and it's always gotten the attention of drivers even at freeway speeds, and one of the problems with the stock horn is that it faces down.

·
Administrator
16,801 Posts
Told you don't need a relay, but I reckon you are going to install a relay. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a quick look yesterday at mounting the Blaster. Looks like even I can handle it.
While under there I thought I would double check the coolant reservoir bottle level.
Uh....no? Nowhere to be seen.
I guess a slimmer fairing meant relocating the bottle to the Twilight Zone.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I found a perfect place for the relay for my low tone Fiamm freeway blaster, and I just finished extending the wires for the stock horn to reach the relay. The horn fits perfectly in the stock location with the opening of the horn facing forward but still protected by the beak. Next is running a fused 16 ga wire from the battery up to the relay.
Why do you need a relay? It's a plug and play replacement. I have one and it works fine.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Go with the Fiamm freeway blaster "low tone", what I have mounted and it needs no relay. It was literally plug and play, all I had to do was bend the mount towards the engine a bit......love it and it's LOUD!!!

I got one on your recommendation, works great!

Except...

I washed my bike (yea I know) and some water got into it. Sounded like a sick OEM horn (meeeep) until it dried out. It's back to it's full throated self again.

My wife wants one on her car.

·
Administrator
16,801 Posts
I got one on your recommendation, works great!

Except...

I washed my bike (yea I know) and some water got into it. Sounded like a sick OEM horn (meeeep) until it dried out. It's back to it's full throated self again.

My wife wants one on her car.
How in the world did you manage to get water in it, is it not facing down towards the road?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
How in the world did you manage to get water in it, is it not facing down towards the road?

No it's facing forward up under the beak. I did have it right about where the OEM was but the forks hit it at full lock.

I guess I need to fuss around with the mounting! Is yours above where the OEM was?

A pic would be handy :grin2:

·
Administrator
16,801 Posts
No it's facing forward up under the beak. I did have it right about where the OEM was but the forks hit it at full lock.

I guess I need to fuss around with the mounting! Is yours above where the OEM was?

A pic would be handy :grin2:
I have a 650 so can't speak much for the 1000's, but mine is "exactly" mounted how and wear the OEM was.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a 650 so can't speak much for the 1000's, but mine is "exactly" mounted how and wear the OEM was.
I've installed it on my 1000 and I had clearance issue too. I moved the bracket slightly upward and it cleared the fork.

I think it's a mandatory upgrade for anyone.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
I added a Fiamm low tone to my DR650 based on this thread. Thanks Big B! Plug and play after separating the stock connectors just a bit, looks a bit big on this dual sport, but works great. 1/3 beer install. AGAINST ALL ODDS I DECIDED TO NOT INSTALL A RELAY. Fearlessly living on the edge... >:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just wanted to mention that I picked up an FIAMM Freeway Blaster (low tone) based on Big B's recommendation. Thank you Big B.

It fit pretty much exactly where the stock horn was using the new bracket that came with it. Took about 5 minutes to install and that included 2 minutes of me overthinking it. I didn't measure the sound output from it, or from the stock horn for that matter but it's LOUD! If you ask me, for less than $20 it was a bargain if it lasts a year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Installed the minibomb today. Truly plug n play. First time in my life a horn install on a bike was as easy as slicing bread. Removed the old horn bracket with a 10mm wench, unplugged stock horn, plugged in the new one, then tightened down the new bracket.
Works like a charm, no relay, no rewiring, nothin.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I consider a loud horn to be good, added protection. When in doubt of the other driver's intentions; give a good attention grabbing blast.

Is there any particular reason the Denali mounting kit for 2014-15 may not fit the '18?

Denali Horn Mount to Fit Denali SoundBomb Air Horn for Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom '14-'15 | TwistedThrottle.com
The Vee3 is essentialy a Vee2 with different colours, it'll fit.

If you're not sure about the denali, you can try a much cheaper exact same product from china without the added name.

I went for dual hellas, even cheaper, i'll install them where our oem horn is, once it clears up outside.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts